Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 02:25:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMinecraft (alpha)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Minecraft (alpha)  (Read 1321398 times)
Dr.Melon
Level 0

Randomized Programming

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 13, 2009, 06:15:56 AM »

Nitram's idea is the best I think: server protection at a price.

I can summarise it thusly:

1. Playing is free.
2. Plots of land that are yours and yours only (so only you and your friends can build on it, not the dicks who run around destrorying things) are paid for.
mark
Level 7

not actually fat, just posing.

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 13, 2009, 06:59:46 AM »

What... I haven't played this in a while, but... this game has griefers now?! It's not even competitive? How do they, I mean, what is, erm...

Fuck. Undecided
Whenever there is an option to annoy others it is seen as greifing, and there is indeed an option to do so (Since you can block the initial spawn, and you can destroy peoples stuff Undecided)

But if you can't build there is no fun in playing for free...

I call it the KittenPunisher.

My lisp code told me to leave.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 13, 2009, 08:25:26 AM »

Whenever there is an option to annoy others it is seen as greifing, and there is indeed an option to do so (Since you can block the initial spawn, and you can destroy peoples stuff Undecided)

I just can't get past how a person decides to come into this game, a purely cooperative, sandbox, free-form, fun building environment, and finds nothing better to do than piss other people off. What the fuck is wrong with people? With competitive games, I could somehow get behind the "sore loser" theory (you kicked my ass, so now I'm gonna make your life miserable), but here... I just don't get it.
mark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 13, 2009, 09:01:58 AM »

I just can't get past how a person decides to come into this game, a purely cooperative, sandbox, free-form, fun building environment, and finds nothing better to do than piss other people off. What the fuck is wrong with people? With competitive games, I could somehow get behind the "sore loser" theory (you kicked my ass, so now I'm gonna make your life miserable), but here... I just don't get it.
It just topped the charts, I went to a server I had previously been to, and was looking around, just to see what had been changed, I find that not only had they removed my huge castle, they had build a swastika instead, and I was kicked for saying that swastikas were racist and they should consider not building that kind of s*** apparently they disagreed...I just found a reason not to ever pay for this game, people aren't very nice in sandbox games.

Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 13, 2009, 02:54:45 PM »

you need like a dwarf fortess + private game mode.
mark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 14, 2009, 01:29:04 AM »

Know what would be awesome? A Dwarf Fortress map importer!

J.G. Martins
Level 2

AKA anvilfolk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #326 on: June 14, 2009, 08:27:42 AM »

Hi all.

Public servers are a bummer indeed! However, private servers are stupidly easy to set up. You just run a bat file, and the same for linux. Anyone who keeps any computer up 24/7 can set one up and make it NOT show up in the public list.

I have a private server running for me and a few friends, and we have a hobbit hole, castle, catapult, house, garden and a few other things. Most of the things I built have "easter eggs", like you destroy a wall and have access to some hidden area of mild interest Wink

And if you bought it, you can make and use your own skins, which is pretty awesome too! I just saw Gordon Freeman, a biker, a nude guy, a trekkie and a few others Smiley

Finally, I think Notch's blog has something about public votekick being a future feature.

Anyway, level files are rather small, so even if noone has the ability to have a server running 24/7, I guess you guys can just upload the file when you need to log off and someone else will get the server running for awhile.

I have to say I'm much more interested in a Dwarf Fortress mode than any zombie survival game, but either way the game's hellishly fun as it is Smiley

Cheers!

Gold is for the mistress -- silver for the maid --
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade.
"Good!" cried the Baron, sitting in his hall,
"But iron, cold iron, is the master of them all."
--- Rudyard Kipling
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 14, 2009, 10:12:55 AM »

Nitram's idea is the best I think: server protection at a price.

I can summarise it thusly:

1. Playing is free.
2. Plots of land that are yours and yours only (so only you and your friends can build on it, not the dicks who run around destrorying things) are paid for.
I have a fundamental problem with any payment plan that relies on other people being dicks.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: June 14, 2009, 10:33:49 AM »

I don't see the problem.  People are consistent in a few things.  You'll always find plenty of bastards willing to prop up an economy for those that want to avoid 'em.

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Nikica
Level 5

Remember, it’s all in your head.

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 15, 2009, 03:34:25 AM »

I just made  Cave Story :

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: June 15, 2009, 03:54:35 AM »

Epic.  Cave Story
Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 15, 2009, 05:57:04 AM »

Whoa, long time no post. As you might've noticed, the game really started taking off.

To answer some questions:

* Yes, you can resell the game after you've bought it. In practice, this will probably mean reselling your account, though.
I'm very opposed of the weird license deals people try to do now where you don't own the stuff you buy.

* The price IS a bit high, especially in USD. Part of this is the crummy exchange rate at the moment, part of it is strategy (I'd rather lower the price in the future than raise it..), and part of it is politics.

* I'm not going to host game servers myself. It doesn't scale well with the game getting popular, and it doesn't work well with only charging once for the game.

My immediate future plans are to implement the basics of survival mode, and to add some more tile types, including sponges and glass. Oh, and I'm finally going to add support for animated terrain tiles (lava and water).
I got a very nice suggestion on how to do better lighting, so I'm going to test that soon as well.
Nikica
Level 5

Remember, it’s all in your head.

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 15, 2009, 08:53:54 AM »

Please add colored block, e.g. red, blue, white, green, black, skin color,...
mark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 15, 2009, 09:40:20 AM »

Interesting, looking forward to the next big update.

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #334 on: June 15, 2009, 07:20:22 PM »

in tigworld i made this, then some poor mannered chap came in and destroyed it, as well as many other fellow TIGers creations.

It was glorious though, it was hollow with a secret underground where I carved out a modest home. In the rear, a balcony that overlooked the beach. The whole tree was climbable as well. We were actually having a race to the top to see who could get to the top when the troll started griefing the world.

Anyway we can get this protected?

Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 15, 2009, 07:46:08 PM »

That was a glorious game, ruined by the marring of a not-so-gentle griefer  Beg
I had a sea-base that had an underwater base and a sub and it was glorious when Evil-Ville came and beautified it. I lack a screenshot though, which is sad cause it had a face on the front, which was awesome.

But yea, this game is awesome. THERE WAS A GLORIOUS MAZE OF GLORIOUSNESS. It was awesome.
fucrate
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #336 on: June 15, 2009, 07:46:42 PM »

Freaking epic game on tigworld, we had about 7 hours before said griefer showed up.  We had a race to the top and down the middle of aeiowu's tree, I made two pirate ships, the second one had 3 and a half decks and then Solarblade dug a river for it to go up.  Battlerager made an awesome maze with an observation post at the middle to watch the other rats from.  Evilville made amazing shit, there was a majoras mask moon/death star.  There was a throne room in a castle in the sky.  This was awesome.

My ship o the line, double masted, three decks and 11 guns.

Another of aeiowu's tree.

Panorama shot of one corner of the map.  The maze is below, my ship is to the right, the moon is left of that, sky and regular castles in the middle, and aeiowu's tree on the left.
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #337 on: June 15, 2009, 08:14:49 PM »

It sounds like a private server is needed.
Evil-Ville
« Reply #338 on: June 15, 2009, 09:46:47 PM »

Here's some screenshots of Solarblade's base. Sadly I only took pictures of the part I made (mostly) which is the wooden house.

Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 15, 2009, 09:52:15 PM »

Evil-Ville, you're my hero  Kiss

Come to think of it, it wouldn't be too hard to rebuild it... make some improvements, make it larger, add another expansion...

Ooo, you can see the partially destroyed moon in the background of the fourth screenshot. Good stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic