Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:08:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMinecraft (alpha)
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Minecraft (alpha)  (Read 1316205 times)
Curseman
« Reply #580 on: July 31, 2010, 08:11:01 PM »

I knew it was going to coincide with SMP, but what I didn't know was whether it was the initial public release of SMP, or after it's finished and polished up, or what.

I see the following on the official blog:

Quote from: Notch
I will release the SMP server before I leave for that. It might be buggy, but I promise to fix it when I get back. It will be missing mobs. Mobs will come later on, and when they’re in, the game will officially be in beta, and the price will go up to 14.95 euro.

as well as this:

Quote from: Notch
August 30: Back to work, finishing up survival mode multiplayer. Enemies will probably get added around here.

So enemies in SMP seems to be the cutoff point for the beta, and that's scheduled for August 30.
PKBT
Level 1

cool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #581 on: July 31, 2010, 10:18:29 PM »

I'll be happy as long as he releases anything related to SMP at all.
I'm quite hyped about this upcoming week.
Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: August 01, 2010, 10:10:02 PM »

It's Monday, I just woke up, and I'm feeling motivated! The weekend was great, with a barbecue with some friends, and we wrapped it up by seeing Inception, an amazing piece of brainfuck.

C418 converted a whole pile of new songs into the mono format used by the record players, so new music is coming this week, too. :D
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #583 on: August 04, 2010, 03:36:38 AM »

So does TIGsource™ have an Official Minecraft® SMP Server server up and running or what?
JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #584 on: August 04, 2010, 09:26:32 AM »

I am this far away from purchasing this delightful looking game.

My decision currently hinges on the possibility of, one day in the far flung future; when it has been announced that Team Fortress 3 has been delayed another twenty years because of "exciting hat crafting possibilities in Minecraft"; and the gamma version has been released, bumping the price up to five thousand dollars.

One day. Being able to play on a zombie survival server with 50 of my closest friends, one of whom is secretly infected.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #585 on: August 04, 2010, 05:42:52 PM »

dude just buy the game jeez

JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #586 on: August 04, 2010, 06:22:47 PM »

I just read the purchase page. Zombie Siege and Capture the Flag? <3

It's like Notch knew what I was thinking before I even thought about it.
gunmaggot
« Reply #587 on: August 04, 2010, 08:58:40 PM »

Bought it a few days ago, but can't get it to start from an exe, so I'm playing in-browser.  I love just wandering around and exploring.

One thing:

I am pretty much gonna have to consult a guide for crafting, aren't I?  That doesn't count as cheating, does it?
Notch
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: August 05, 2010, 03:52:50 AM »

It does not count as cheating, and I probably will integrate a lot of that into the game.

Building ladders by just having every other tile be a ladder, however, is cheating.
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: August 05, 2010, 04:19:39 AM »

Building ladders by just having every other tile be a ladder, however, is cheating.

BUT THEY NEED SO MANY STICKS
Movius
« Reply #590 on: August 05, 2010, 06:18:05 AM »

gunmaggot
« Reply #591 on: August 05, 2010, 08:33:20 AM »

It does not count as cheating, and I probably will integrate a lot of that into the game.

This is a weight off my conscience - thanks!

One other thing:

There are going to be very large sea monsters, aren't there?  Because I was admiring the ocean trenches and I thought how great it would be to see very large, dark and mysterious shapes moving beneath the water.  I have a thing for that.

Oh hey, somebody made Minas Tirith:

gunmaggot
« Reply #592 on: August 05, 2010, 09:27:09 PM »

Oh hey, somebody made the best rollercoaster ever:

Curseman
« Reply #593 on: August 05, 2010, 10:15:33 PM »

Hey, so Notch, do you have plans to make it so actually surviving in survival mode will be a challenge?  Currently you can be challenged if you put limitations on yourself, but there's nothing stopping you from building a hut with a hole at the bottom so you can punch everything in the ankles from total safety.

The things people make in this game are awesome, but I'm wondering if anything like it will ever serve a practical purpose.
JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #594 on: August 06, 2010, 09:57:05 AM »

See, I've got the opposite problem. I just started playing and I haven't spoiled most of the game for myself (yet), (I still don't know if there's permadeath or not) so survival mode is a constant struggle of living in fear. 

I've fenced myself into the side of a cliff and panic at every noise. Are two block tall walls high enough to protect me from the outside? Crap, I'd better add another layer. I tunnel deeper and deeper into the side of the mountain, harvesting enough flint to line many walls with torches. Occasionally there's a loud clanging sound or spooky noise and I freak out. How did something get in? Did it spawn within my hand-carved labyrinth? Did it jump over the fence? I knew I should have built that thing four blocks high. Even with the knowledge it's probably ambient noise, it's still unsettling.

I cautiously creep out of my fortress in the afternoon and scurry around looking for traces of iron (which I still haven't found). Every few moments I whirl around, sure that a creeper is sneaking up on me. When darkness starts to fall, I sprint back to my cave, sure that an evil fate will befall me at any moment.

Once, after returning from a long day of hunting trees, I realized in horror that I had forgotten to block up the entrance in my wall. I quickly pulled out my sword and carefully searched every square foot of my diggings for any unfriendly creatures which might have entered in my absence. Nothing. The sword has since slain a pig, but nothing else.
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #595 on: August 06, 2010, 10:04:50 AM »

gunmaggot-
Oh my, that's amazing.
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #596 on: August 08, 2010, 01:01:22 AM »

See, I've got the opposite problem. I just started playing and I haven't spoiled most of the game for myself (yet), (I still don't know if there's permadeath or not) so survival mode is a constant struggle of living in fear. 

I've fenced myself into the side of a cliff and panic at every noise. Are two block tall walls high enough to protect me from the outside? Crap, I'd better add another layer. I tunnel deeper and deeper into the side of the mountain, harvesting enough flint to line many walls with torches. Occasionally there's a loud clanging sound or spooky noise and I freak out. How did something get in? Did it spawn within my hand-carved labyrinth? Did it jump over the fence? I knew I should have built that thing four blocks high. Even with the knowledge it's probably ambient noise, it's still unsettling.

I cautiously creep out of my fortress in the afternoon and scurry around looking for traces of iron (which I still haven't found). Every few moments I whirl around, sure that a creeper is sneaking up on me. When darkness starts to fall, I sprint back to my cave, sure that an evil fate will befall me at any moment.

Once, after returning from a long day of hunting trees, I realized in horror that I had forgotten to block up the entrance in my wall. I quickly pulled out my sword and carefully searched every square foot of my diggings for any unfriendly creatures which might have entered in my absence. Nothing. The sword has since slain a pig, but nothing else.

Haha, this is gold, and I know how you feel. Smiley

Notch
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 08, 2010, 01:44:58 AM »

Haha :D

After multiplayer survival mode, I'm going to have to both do some balancing, and add some later game challenges of some kind. Potentially megabeasts. Or ill omens followed by a night of absolute horror (how would you see the omens if you're in a cave?)

Food also needs a few tweaks. At the moment, the most efficient way is to just run around randomly at day, killing pigs
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #598 on: August 08, 2010, 02:09:13 AM »

(how would you see the omens if you're in a cave?)
fog gains a slight red tinge?

oh wait alot of people probably have max visibility so they don't see fog in caves...

torches change color?

Notch
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 08, 2010, 02:11:15 AM »

Torches serve as a very efficient safety indicator, so having them flicker or act up would work great :D Thanky!
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic