Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:28:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMinecraft (alpha)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Minecraft (alpha)  (Read 1316512 times)
Renton
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2009, 02:42:43 PM »

Awwright.

With this new feature, I'll be able to make my underground towns even awesomer.

All I need is a game saving now...
Navineous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2009, 02:46:36 PM »

Will it be added to the public release today?
Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2009, 02:48:48 PM »

No, it's too unstable. The next update should be within three days. =)

Per request, I've switched priorities between level saving and multiplayer, so the next version will probably have saving as well.
Navineous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »

Woot  Grin my craziness is over
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2009, 03:06:22 PM »

I agree, the water is sweet Smiley I'm not sure if there's a name for the kind of simple colour scheme like this one, as it seems to be quite common for platformers and such. Anyway, I hope you stick to that. The bright green and blue, the brown and gray, it really works very well for a game about creating little worlds Smiley

Actually having moats full of water now will be a huge improvement :D

[edit]
Awww, look who's come to pay a visit and hack at some dirt:

I could actually take exactly two screenshots right before Firefox decided to crash on me Big Laff
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 03:05:58 AM by MisterX » Logged

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Notch
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2009, 04:42:34 AM »

That is.. i.. you..

Hand Thumbs Up Right
SelfTitled
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2009, 05:10:01 AM »

Sad I've just lost my entire lunch hour to this, this game is tweaking my creativity

Morre
Level 1

Apocaquatic syntomy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2009, 07:04:29 AM »

I... built a castle (like everyone else). I wanted to make a YT vid showing off some stuff like the inside of a tower, but I couldn't get it to work. So... here's some screens instead:

The castle is 18 by 18 by 11 units big, or 20 by 20 by 11 if you count the towers. The moat is 6 units wide and between 2 and 6 units deep, depending on the terrain. One tower has a neatly built-in easy-to-walk staircase. That's about it. Smiley

Well, I guess it's not as much a castle as a fortress. Oh well. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 07:16:48 AM by Morre » Logged

The Idea Book  --  www.x2d.org  --  I am Dragonene on IRC.
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2009, 07:53:32 AM »

I have to say I liked the old terrain a bit better. More interesting.

Here's

.  I miss those cliffs and valleys and such.

edit: I may have imagined any change in the terrain generator.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 08:09:29 AM by fartron » Logged

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2009, 09:08:51 AM »

That stuff is also very nice Smiley The village basically shows what I really love about games like Minecraft: The ability to create little really atmospheric worlds out of nothing. While the houses themselves aren't as spectacular as some other, more complex buildings, the whole village looks just so sweet Smiley
I think if you weren't able to walk around in those worlds, or couldn't even build them from that perspective, the whole game would lose a lot of its charm.

Also, I love that even I, who always fails at Garry's Mod because of a severe lack of creativity, can have a lot of fun with this and build cool stuff, as it's so simple, yet unrestricted Smiley

As you mentioned the terrain: Maybe some time in the future, if the level generation algorithms allow for it, there could be some simple options for the level generation. Like how hilly it is, if there are few or many cliffs, few or many underground caverns, etc.

I also thought that it would be cool to have a smaller kind of blocks, like one that only has 1/4th or 1/9th the size of the current ones, so you could build proper furniture, other decorations and yet more detailed constructions. I think that is more or less impossible right now at a proper scale. Though, maybe that wouldn't suit the simplistic design, I'm not sure.

Lastly, like I said earlier: Torches! It would be cool if they could simply light a specific area around themselves, probably with varying brightness depending on distance.

Now, I wonder if it would be cool to recreate that dwarf upright and underground, so he really feels at home..
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 09:12:16 AM by MisterX » Logged

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Navineous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2009, 10:01:05 AM »

I think 1/2 size blocks would work just as well and maybe 1/4 if we are lucky. But let him take the ideas at a slow pace. It's hard work to program java  Wink
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2009, 10:23:49 AM »

I think 1/2 size blocks would work just as well and maybe 1/4 if we are lucky. But let him take the ideas at a slow pace. It's hard work to program java  Wink
Of course those are just some general suggestions, I also think that other features should have priority Smiley

lulzapricot
Level 0

om nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2009, 10:28:49 AM »

Wow, excellent game. Runs on linux too.  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Stupid stuff I made over the past 3 days of addiction:

A Tower

Outside the tower

Inside the tower

Little table and couch of sorts inside one of the rooms in the tower

The garden roof. Smiley

An Underground Lair

Inside the lair, you can see the fake-swimming pool, the plant, fake-vents, a couch and spiral staircase to top.

Top part of the lair, includes the start of the huge spiral staircase and an observation bay. xD

A Castle -- I'm pretty sure I'm the first to ever make a castle in minecraft. Wink

Looking upon the castle from outside

Inside the open area of the castle, the "bailey"(I think...)

Inside the castle's little "keep" part. Has a table and fail-chairs

Top castle wall walkway

Staircase inside of the tower

Also, can't wait for water
Zolyx
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2009, 10:46:04 AM »

Sorry. Best I could manage with the current block selection...

Mostly harmless indie gamer
Zolyx.co.uk :: The Minecraft Museum
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2009, 11:38:58 AM »

Oh look, I found some screenshots of the Dwarf Fortress 3D Beta intro

Durr...?

[edit]
Seriously, I totally didn't copy any game at all!

:D
Okay, okay, I'll stop it now.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 01:20:21 PM by MisterX » Logged

Navineous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2009, 12:26:58 PM »

I got a great idea, we could have a glass block that is semi transparent so we can make ant farms with mobs  Durr...? so we can have windows too and alot of other stuff.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 12:36:51 PM by Navineous » Logged
vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2009, 12:49:27 PM »

Regarding your question on your blog (because the character limit is very restrictive for me):

I think having blood in Minecraft would be okay. I'd be perfectly cool with finding little giblets from monsters I've courageously slain in caves and such. And maybe I'm imagining wrong, but I keep imagining epic, castle-siege type battles with tons of warriors, and I think having a battlefield strewn with gore after major fights would be a nice effect.

On that subject, do you think you'll be able to implement some sort of AI bots for people to fight with? I really like the idea of humongous battles in the big world that gets generated (especially if you can set up some sort of point-capture type system), but I often don't like actually playing online, and even then, I'm not sure (though it would be great if it does) the game will manage to keep a big enough player-base to have such large battles after very long, simply because so few games actually do manage to do it.

And I think that having little harmless bunnies, like in your blog post, to release aggression upon would be a fun addition, despite having no effect on actual gameplay. (And I think they'd be fine in all the game modes. Perhaps you should just have a "bunnies" option that players can turn on/off.)

Also, I think having just a normal wood block (not boards, but just wood, like on a tree) and a dirt-road (like normal dirt, but it will never grow grass) block would be nice as well. Also, fire. Spreads from flammable blocks to nearby flammable blocks, and changes/destroys them. (It changes grass to dirt, which will grow back, but wood is destroyed, of course.) It seems like it would be pretty easy to implement, but I may be wrong.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2009, 01:36:49 PM »

I would just like if he made it so my fps doesn't drop to 3 whenever i look in the general direction of a hill on my eee. (I'm currently trapped on it due to my graphics card frying on my desktop)

Curseman
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2009, 02:04:12 PM »

This is fun to mess with!  It should be pretty awesome once you get multiplayer and all the other features working.
Notch
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2009, 04:14:55 PM »

0.0.12a_03 is up, adding water, lava, a new terrain generator I've been playing with, slightly better framerate, and a couple of new keys:

F to change draw distance. There are four settings. The fourth setting makes the game run at 50 fps on my Eee, but it's a bit.. claustrophobic.

N to generate a new level. No more restarting the applet!

I'm trying to figure out the best way of combing water with nonstandard shaped tiled. (try planting something under water..)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic