Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 05:24:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMinecraft (alpha)
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Minecraft (alpha)  (Read 1320982 times)
gunmaggot
« Reply #620 on: August 09, 2010, 01:55:42 PM »

smh tigsource, smh.

Let it be known that when somebody said 'there should be a giant red eyeball on the moon' tigsource said 'no thats dum'.  This is a damning indictment of the entire community.

Re: worlds generating with hovering blocks:  Is this going to stay?  Because I can see the 'glicth' pov, but it's pretty rad.
JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #621 on: August 09, 2010, 03:20:30 PM »

Edit: Never mind. I was wondering why there were hidden ads on the minecraft site, but it was really my ad blocker doing strange things.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 03:29:33 PM by JamesGecko » Logged
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #622 on: August 09, 2010, 03:30:42 PM »

I want places like this to stay, no matter what:

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Curseman
« Reply #623 on: August 09, 2010, 06:07:07 PM »

Those rule.
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #624 on: August 09, 2010, 11:30:23 PM »

Those rule.

HOly fuck, that's truly amazing. Someday I will get back into Minecraft.
Incidentally, what's the white feather-like thing that they pick up in that video?

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #625 on: August 10, 2010, 03:19:59 AM »

Probably a feather.  Tongue
Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: August 11, 2010, 06:13:46 PM »

Question: Are you going to implement the ability to play survival over lan with only one copy of the game?  In my opinion it's rather sad that many multi-player games these days are moving away from having the ability to do that, or to even to be able to play lan at all. (ex. Starcraft one allowed you to use the CD to make a spawn which could connect to other lan games which were hosted by the CD.  SC2 is a real pain however and doesn't even allow lan play)

I periodically have lan parties with my friends, and I think this game would be perfect to play during one of them; However without a feature that would allow them all to play without buying, I highly doubt we ever would, and would end up just playing SC1 and Urban Terror the whole time.  Plus if people are exposed to it at lan parties they might be more interested in buying it themselves.   Who, Me?

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: August 11, 2010, 06:31:47 PM »

I'm curious, is the level generation in the alpha the same as the free version? I don't remember seeing any stuff like that in the free one.

Guard
Level 0

Java's cool.

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: August 11, 2010, 07:48:18 PM »

Notch, are there going to be achievements/badges in the game?

Like, the Minecraft Addict Badge - "played for a combined total of 10 hours"
or the Top of the World Badge - "Achieved the highest peak in regular creative map.
etc

Are there?

:-D (Ps, respond to my PM on TigForums?)

Programming since Sept 2009
Web Developing since 2006
Curseman
« Reply #629 on: August 11, 2010, 08:07:26 PM »

Hey Notch, would you ever consider changing the recipe for TNT from a 3x3 block of four sand and five gunpowder blocks to a 2x2 block of two of each?  Dynamite is incredibly fun to play with, but it's way too much effort to get it legitimately.

I'm curious, is the level generation in the alpha the same as the free version? I don't remember seeing any stuff like that in the free one.

No, the alpha version has a much stronger tendency towards making crazy, surreal landscapes like the ones shown in the video.

Since you've brought it up, I kind of miss the simple old plains from the free version.  Not that I have anything against the new arches and intricate cave systems, but it'd be nice if every so often you ran into an area like the old versions of the game had as well.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #630 on: August 11, 2010, 08:12:07 PM »

Personally, I hate achievements unless they relate to the gameplay somehow.
Since you've brought it up, I kind of miss the simple old plains from the free version.  Not that I have anything against the new arches and intricate cave systems, but it'd be nice if every so often you ran into an area like the old versions of the game had as well.
I think it'd be awesome to be able to set what type of terrain generation you want at the start of a game. having it so sections were more "biome" related would be awesome too, like walking for a while and finding yourself in the desert with rocky arches rather than the lush forests would be rad. desert forts make me think of garudos.
Question: Are you going to implement the ability to play survival over lan with only one copy of the game?  In my opinion it's rather sad that many multi-player games these days are moving away from having the ability to do that, or to even to be able to play lan at all.
This is very valid.

Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: August 12, 2010, 01:44:14 AM »

Guard: I got the pm, I can't really reply anything other than "I want to do it, but we'll see if/when I get time. It's not a huge priority at the moment". :D
(His question was about getting more information about servers visible via the website for third party apps)

The main difference between Alpha and Classic terrain generation (other than the infinite size thing), is that classic made heightmaps and created 3d levels from that, while alpha does proper voxel maps from the start, permitting overhangs and arches and floaty bits.

As for sharing a copy.. If the server is running in "online/secure mode", it will verify that people who join the server are really logged in to the website under the same name they try to connect to the server with, and that they're not playing on another server. This ensures that people can't impersonate other players, gives a very strong penalty to getting banned from a server (a proxy won't help you, you need to buy another copy of the game to get around it), and also prevents pirates from playing online on servers in that mode.
But since it's a bit DRM-y (what would happen if minecraft.net went offline, for example?), and doesn't work at all in offline mode like in lan parties, you can choose to start the server in "offline/insecure mode", where it won't do any verification at all, other than not letting two people share the same name in the server. It will be possible to combine insecure mode with a simple password system.

I'd obviously prefer it if everyone playing the game bought it, but I'm not going to hunt anyone down over it. And I especially won't hunt down people who just let their friends try the game on their accounts or such.
Ashkin
« Reply #632 on: August 13, 2010, 04:07:56 PM »

Hey Notch, I'm on a limited connection, and I need to know how many megs the offline version of Minecraft is (Not the client, the game itself).
P.S. I love you Kiss
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #633 on: August 14, 2010, 07:56:09 AM »

So is this insecure/offline mode working in SMP for anyone? I already enabled it in server.properties and it does confirm that it is working in the server window:
Code:
[WARNING] **** SERVER IS RUNNING IN OFFLINE/INSECURE MODE!
[WARNING] The server will make no attempt to authenticate usernames. Beware.
[WARNING] While this makes the game possible to play without internet access, it also opens up the ability for hackers to connect with any username they choose.
[WARNING] To change this, set "online-mode" to "true" in the server.settings file.
And yet, everytime my brother and I log in together it kicks one of us Panda

-- EDIT --

Nevermind, I figured it out.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 09:06:09 AM by kYn » Logged
Guard
Level 0

Java's cool.

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: August 14, 2010, 08:42:33 AM »

Guard: I got the pm, I can't really reply anything other than "I want to do it, but we'll see if/when I get time. It's not a huge priority at the moment". :D

Also, Notch, what about achievements/badges?  Epileptic

Programming since Sept 2009
Web Developing since 2006
Vino
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: August 15, 2010, 03:52:33 PM »

Dear Notch. I love your game. Why and how it's fun is a mystery to me, but even though it defies all logic, I enjoy it immensely.

That being said, your enemies need a lot of improvement in their design.

One of the basic problems is that they feel like the bastard sons of satan. Nothing they do feels fair. If people don't feel like the game is treating them fairly, they get pissed off and stop enjoying your game, which is what's happening with me. Even if the rules that the enemies abide by are consistent, if the player feels that it's unfair then it doesn't matter. In Nethack there are a shitload of enemies that are ridiculous and will rape you from the other side of the room. But, Nethack provides mechanisms for dealing with those enemies. If you get lycanthropy and you don't have a wolfsbane you can still pray. If those wands of death are pissing you off you can get reflective armor. If you're about to get raped you can always engrave Elbereth. Even with Liches you can always see them coming and have enough time to execute the best maneuver to deal with Liches which is to run. With Minecraft it's more of, "Didn't see that creeper? Sorry, you're fucked."

Let's start with creepers. Creepers make absolutely no sounds or give any other signal until they're about to blow up. At the end if your teaser the guy says "WHAT THE SHIT" and he is right, that bastard popped up out of nowhere and he had absolutely no time to respond. Even Scott Ransoomar gets ticked at it, as I'm sure you've read before. I was deep in a mine once and I turned a corner and ran right into one with much the same reaction. If there's something that could be done about creepers it wouldn't be so bad that you get no warning, but there's really not.

The skeletons. In my first game I was digging down and suddenly found myself in a mob spawning dungeon full of skeletons. I think I could count on one hand the number of seconds that I lasted before I died. It took me six tries to recover my equipment from that room. I ended up digging underneath it and filling the whole damn thing up with blocks. Even then, skeletons kept escaping. They must have hacks installed on their client because their arrows are always perfectly accurate. They can shoot you even if you can only see a tiny sliver of their arm. The arrows go real fast so they're difficult to dodge and in close quarters you really don't have any chance. Running up and smacking them is a great way to get an arrow in the face.

Zombies and spiders aren't so bad, except that even with my best swordsmanship I wasn't able to take them without taking a decent amount of damage. I'm honestly not a very good video game player, but even with practice I couldn't get the hang of what the trick is to killing them without getting hit. Health is at a premium in this game, and not being able to preserve it is frustrating. It also didn't help that when I did die, I'd have to find and trek back to my home, and hopefully not encounter another enemy on the way there while I'm defenseless.

Generally for any mechanic that the enemy has, you want to provide the player a way to counter it. If the player has a way to combat the menace then he's less inclined to stop suspending disbelief and blame the developer for the crappy game design. For example, for the aimbot hacking skeletons, provide a shield, or make it so that if the skeleton gets hit they get stunned and can't fire for a moment. For the sssssssssboom's, perhaps give the player an item that warns when they're close. Now the game becomes fair, since players have a mechanism for dealing with the enemies.

I don't know about your personality as a game developer, so I don't know if that stuff is intentional. Some games make unfair enemies and mechanics intentionally. If the guy who made "I Wanna Be The Guy" read this he'd probably laugh at me. If you want to take the "tough luck" attitude then that's fair, but not many people play "I Wanna Be The Guy." A lot of people play Minecraft, but hey, I gotta say what's on my mind.

Anyway I'm sure you're immersed in suggestions, but here are mine:

* Make the skeleton arrows not always perfectly stupidly accurate.
* Give the skeletons some kind of warning when they're about to fire, like a sound or something.
* Give the player a mechanism for dealing with each type of enemy. Warning for creepers, defense against arrows and so on.
* Except for maybe the creeper, use audio better to announce enemy presence.
* If you hit an enemy, stun him -- he can't fire for a moment. So, if the player gets the jump, he doesn't have to worry so much.
* Let the player set his spawn location so he can spawn in his home.

And lastly, try to think some about the strategy for spawning mobs. Is this a "tower defense" style game where the mobs come in waves? Or do they trickle in one at a time? Do they spawn anywhere or only at certain locations? When can the player consider himself safe? I think if you sit down, think about the design goals of the game, and work out a consistent strategy you could improve it a lot.

Sorry for the novel. I hope it helps.
gunmaggot
« Reply #636 on: August 15, 2010, 04:30:07 PM »

Dear Notch.  Don't touch Creepers.  They are perfect the way they are.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #637 on: August 15, 2010, 06:26:10 PM »

Dear Notch

Please make armour worth making. It does kind of fall apart really easily.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Curseman
« Reply #638 on: August 15, 2010, 07:01:04 PM »

That being said, your enemies need a lot of improvement in their design.

Half the fun of the enemies is that they're sneaky, so you have to be paranoid and constantly look over your shoulder.
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: August 15, 2010, 09:03:50 PM »

Only enemy I would change is the skeleton. Maybe just make him less durable. I mean, he's just bones. He'd crumble under a swing from an iron sword for sure.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic