Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412106 Posts in 69453 Topics- by 58486 Members - Latest Member: holdamech

June 28, 2024, 01:14:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJotsway Canyon - 2D Tactics
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Jotsway Canyon - 2D Tactics  (Read 684 times)
jaggygames
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2017, 05:01:17 AM »

Hi!

Jotsway Canyon is an upcoming 2D tactics game. At the minute, I'm focusing on AI before moving onto a single player campaign I'm calling Adventure Mode.

Alpha 0.4 is the last planned update before the new Adventure Mode. I wanted to add a few mechanics and quality of life improvements so I have more tools to work with! Here are some of the changes.

New Mechanic: Push Back

Some units are able to push other units back. This is good for making space or pushing enemies into hazards.

New Mechanic: Confuse

Confused units see all other units as enemies. Human players won't have control of the unit until the Confusion ends. AI units on a human controlled team will take their actions when the player presses the Next Turn button.

New Mechanic: Pickup Items

Units have 30% chance to drop an item. When a unit moves to an item, it is picked up and may be used as if it were a skill. Items often have Charges. When an item has 0 Charges, it is destroyed.

New Mechanic: Tile Items

Some items can be picked up, others are too heavy! They stay on the tile for any unit to come and use them. Like Pickup Items, they have charges and will be destroyed when their charges reach 0.

Combat Log

This gives more information to players who wish to see it or if they missed something.

AI Improvements

• Support units now prioritize the most damaged allies and will attempt to move to them.
  • When using skills, units prioritize units with lower health at higher difficulties.
  • Units move out of hazards and will try to move to the best target if they have spare AP at higher difficulties.

Sounds and Music

I've added music from spifftune and sounds from chiptone. These, with a little screenshake, have added more impact to skills. I'll be working on adding the art for skill effects in the next few updates.

Basic Options Menu

From the Battle Menu, it's now possible to:

• Toggle Music On/Off
  • Toggle Sounds On/Off
  • Choose Battle Speed
  • Exit the Battle

Test The Game for Free!

The HTML version will be available until the 21st of October 2017! After that, the game will enter closed alpha once again while I work on the new Adventure Mode. More details about that in a later update!

You can play the game here:

https://jaggygames.itch.io/jotswaycanyon

Any feedback gratefully received!

Cheers!
foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 06:38:40 AM »

That was fun and cute, but it wasn't immediately clear which number was HP. I'm still not sure what the number on the left is, even after I realized the right one was HP.

I love the different teams! Replicating blobs and reviving undead is a nice and fun mix. I'd like to play through a story mode!

One other problem was that I couldn't tell which actions I'd be able to take after moving. I assume there is something like action points, but I never figured that out.

Overall, cool! I like the graphics, the originality of the different teams, and I LOVE grid-based SRPGs!  Gomez

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic