Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 04:45:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)How I wrote my own 3D game engine and shipped a game with it in 20 months
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: How I wrote my own 3D game engine and shipped a game with it in 20 months  (Read 4704 times)
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 01:17:41 AM »

I see open-source as being a free teacher. You don't have to support anything! If you want to use the code you'll have to figure it out. Closed-source is like hiding free knowledge though... it's bad! And gaming is full of it.

Software you are praising of releasing open-source software are just that companies that you are pointing that finger, releasing before closed-source programs, and are able to distribuite free their source code just because they already earned the money (directly from it or from other sources) and/or the software is already an old technology / not competitive (aka not profitable).

Firefox is open-source, but they earned $421.3 million just in the 2015. id software released Doom source after many years, with one of the reason that it was an old tehcnology. Wordpress is one of the most famous open-source software,  the company is a non-profit organization, so they are eaning revenues through donations made by individuals, that could be a person like you, or a large corporation that are making money from the platform through advertisements.

I do not think there is someone that released an open-source software without the intention to earn money from it in the first place (of course not counting the little copy-paste software you made in just a weekend). Who are these people that released open-source software and did not make any profit?

Games:

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 04:28:35 AM »

I'd sure as all hell wouldn't share my engine unless it would be to drop it off and leave it to others to improve or whatever.

I don't think I would even have the courage to share a personal project with a bit of fear of being criticized for my coding or something.

Besides, there's quite a lot of open source efforts out there.

Yeah.
rupy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2020, 02:29:59 AM »

I'm now close to uploading my own 3D MMO C++ engine to github and I have a feature demo that you can try:

http://talk.binarytask.com/task?id=5959519327505901449

I settled for a compromise: I will release the core engine as closed source and the game .dll/.so will be open-source.

I know it goes against what I said previously, but in the 4 years my multiplayer online system (http://fuse.rupy.se/about.html) has been open-source it gathered almost no traction so I guess I was wrong, people care as little about open-source and they care about closed-source because using someone elses tools without first verifying that a ton of others also use it is not how humans are programmed.

Also, on topic: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1180970/Phantom_Path/

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2020, 04:34:44 PM »

I know it goes against what I said previously, but in the 4 years my multiplayer online system (http://fuse.rupy.se/about.html) has been open-source it gathered almost no traction so I guess I was wrong, people care as little about open-source and they care about closed-source
I mean, no offense but looking at your link the site is an almost unreadable hot mess, complete with an extremely hard to read font and slots itself tiny in the left hand side of the screen as if it's trying to look like it's for mobile while on desktop. (I have a 23 inch main screen and your entire site is packed in the left two inches of my screen and scrolls down forever!)  Plus as far as I gather from what I can actually read to actually use it you have to pay $20/month and only seems to really provide basic socket wrapping and lobby capability (as said, site is extremely hard to read, so if there's more to it it's hard to tell).  At that price point and the functionality listed I'm not sure why I'd use this over something like raknet/steamworks, or one of the bsd/MIT licensed libraries that provide the same functionality.  I don't think your lack of traction has to do with it being open source, I think it's because nobody's sure what your project is or what benefits using it over other existing/cheaper solutions and are unsure of even the legality of contributing code/using the project. you're also going to have problems with people being able to search anything about your code as "fuse" has for a long time been another open source project, it's the drivers for having "file systems in user space" in the linux kernel.

-Fuzzy Spider
raigan
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2020, 06:56:45 AM »

I'd be interested in hearing exactly how your time-stepping works, e.g. are you interpolating or extrapolating to generate render state at arbitrary times between your logic state, or are you doing something else? In either case, how are you dealing with the artifacts/edge cases that come along with that?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic