Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 10:15:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitions[Unofficial] Vaporware Competition voting
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: [Unofficial] Vaporware Competition voting  (Read 29139 times)
Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2009, 12:44:11 PM »

BC3K did finally release, didn't it?  Then it cannot be vaporware by definition.

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2009, 12:55:28 PM »

BC3K did finally release, didn't it?  Then it cannot be vaporware by definition.

Unfortunately this man is correct.

Unless, they pulled a TF2 and overhauled the entire game. Then you can do the old version.

Kamos
Level 0

Hey.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2009, 01:06:45 PM »

Well... I'm sorry if my question sounded a little dumb, but I *am* confused. This link is on the first post of this thread:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_commercial_failures_in_computer_and_video_gaming

Also, the definition in wikipedia is that vaporware can be applied to games that "fall short of expectations", are "obsolete on delivery", have "lack of focus", and so on...
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2009, 01:15:10 PM »

Well... I'm sorry if my question sounded a little dumb, but I *am* confused. This link is on the first post of this thread:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_commercial_failures_in_computer_and_video_gaming

Also, the definition in wikipedia is that vaporware can be applied to games that "fall short of expectations", are "obsolete on delivery", have "lack of focus", and so on...

Well vaporware is technically stuff that gets hyped and hyped and hyped and never released. That's what Lynx meant. But you should go ahead and do your thing Kamos. The competition's about having fun, and the game does seem to have vaporwarelike qualities, so go ahead.

Kamos
Level 0

Hey.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2009, 01:24:45 PM »

Well vaporware is technically stuff that gets hyped and hyped and hyped and never released. That's what Lynx meant. But you should go ahead and do your thing Kamos. The competition's about having fun, and the game does seem to have vaporwarelike qualities, so go ahead.

Haha, ok... thanks for the explanation. Anyway, I'll try to look around a bit more, maybe try to find something that won't turn into vaporware a second time.  Gentleman
lulzapricot
Level 0

om nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2009, 03:01:28 PM »

Already started on a Starcraft: Ghost game.  Also, that FreeMind program is really cool and useful, thanks for mentioning that Sensenmann.
uh oh.

Are multiple demakes of the same game allowed?

[EDIT]: Also, another question, where should threads for our compo games be posted?  Like in devlogs or feedback or just the competition board?  There sadly isn't a vaporware compo subsection.   D:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 03:04:34 PM by lulzapricot » Logged
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2009, 03:04:05 PM »

Already started on a Starcraft: Ghost game.  Also, that FreeMind program is really cool and useful, thanks for mentioning that Sensenmann.
uh oh.

Of course man, why not?

Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2009, 03:37:52 PM »

Anybody remember the old Scooby Doo game for the Spectrum? Elite ran huge double-page ads for that game in magazines, month after month. It showed screenshots of a game done in a fully cinematic style. But the game never materialised, because they apparently overreached themselves way too much to actually pull it off. But the ads were everywhere for a while.

But there was another game that never happened, that popped up in magazine ads a lot back then - I can't remember the name, though. The screenshots showed what looked like quite an attractive c64 platformer, and the main ad picture was quite a rough painting of what looked like a big pink ogre holding a wooden spoon. Ring any bells?

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2009, 03:45:14 PM »

uh oh.

[EDIT]: Also, another question, where should threads for our compo games be posted?  Like in devlogs or feedback or just the competition board?  There sadly isn't a vaporware compo subsection.   D:

I guess the competition board would be appropriate. If there is something to be done, the mods would do it anyway.

Anthony Flack, I unfortunately do not know the game you are talking about Sad

NathanielEdwards
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2009, 05:38:17 PM »

I call Marble Madness II. I think the game was basically finished, but included "Marble Man", a superhero-ish guy, and according to Wikipedia its production was switched out for Guardians of the 'Hood. What an unjust world...

NathanielEdwards.com for gaming journalism and music. SoundCloud page BandCamp page
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2009, 10:22:33 AM »

Anyone remember the 3 player screenshots of THE CHAOS ENGINE before it was finally released? that would be fun - but rather a hard pedigree to live up to.
http://www.gods-country.de/tcr/gfx/tcr/ce3player.jpg

Turrican 3d - that never came out, and could be cool if done well.
http://www.nemmelheim.de/turrican/other/turrican3d/

but - sadly I have Noooo time free time to enter this  Cry Cry Cry

Neonlare
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2009, 03:23:43 PM »

Definitely going to check this out, sorry to ask a stupid question but when are final entries due by?
NathanielEdwards
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2009, 03:25:30 PM »

June 18th.

NathanielEdwards.com for gaming journalism and music. SoundCloud page BandCamp page
Neonlare
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2009, 01:46:27 PM »

Just checking again, are we able to work on games which although declared as Vapourware on a console exist on other platforms? Something like the The Great Giana Sisters, which was being worked on for the ZX Spectrum but is also available for Amiga and C64?

[EDIT]

On second thought, nevermind. I'm gonna try and tackle "Manipulator: Glove Adventure". :p

[DOUBLE EDIT]

These have to be completed games yes? They can't be something like a demo of things to come right? Just triple checking.

[trIPLE EDIT]

Where should we post our progress? Should we post it in a seperate topic, or in this one?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 04:34:43 PM by Neonlare » Logged
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

Came for the VGNG comp, stayed for the other stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2009, 07:59:06 PM »

I'll just leave this here:

COMING SOON FROM ID SOFTWARE
As our follow-up to the Commander Keen trilogy, id Software is working on 'The Fight for Justice', a completely new approach to fantasy gaming. You start not as a weakling with no food--you start as Quake, the strongest, most dangerous person on the continent. You start off with a Hammer of Thunderbolts, a Ring of Regeneration, and a trans-dimensional artifact. Here the fun begins. You fight for Justice, a secret organization devoted to vanquishing evil from the land! This is role-playing excitement.

And you don't chunk around the screen. 'The Fight for Justice' contains fully animated scrolling backgrounds. All the people you meet have their own lives, personalities, and objectives. A 256-color VGA version will be available (smooth scrolling 256-color screens --fancy that)!

And the depth of play will be intense. No more "whack whack here's some gold". There will be interesting puzzles and decisions won't be "yes/no" but complex correlations of people and events. 'The Fight for Justice' will be the finest PC game yet.

(The Fight For Justice was never realised as described above, but it did end up becoming Quake, a slightly different game. But Quake was more about running around and shooting things than roleplaying!)
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2009, 08:09:09 PM »

Just checking again, are we able to work on games which although declared as Vapourware on a console exist on other platforms? Something like the The Great Giana Sisters, which was being worked on for the ZX Spectrum but is also available for Amiga and C64?

[EDIT]

On second thought, nevermind. I'm gonna try and tackle "Manipulator: Glove Adventure". :p

[DOUBLE EDIT]

These have to be completed games yes? They can't be something like a demo of things to come right? Just triple checking.

[trIPLE EDIT]

Where should we post our progress? Should we post it in a seperate topic, or in this one?

Yes, preferably, somewhere around here :D

Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2009, 09:15:27 AM »

Is it required to post your process?

NathanielEdwards
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2009, 04:44:36 PM »

Here's a screenshot for my entry, Sphere Psychosis, which is sorta kinda based on Marble Madness 2. As you can see, I abandoned the isometric view in the switch to 3d.

http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn26/LegalArcade/?action=view&current=SpherePsychosis.jpg

The image was so large, I decided to just external link out to Photobucket.

Neonlare
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2009, 01:29:46 PM »

Been experiencing some serious bugs and issues with the game, so I might not be able to make the deadline. I will resolve to finish this game though, but I might not be able to make it in time Sad.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2009, 01:34:07 PM »

I've been working on mine, although the scope of the game has been constantly decreasing while I work on other projects other than my entry.  However, I should have something for the deadline.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic