Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 02:53:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopLighting 3D Scenes with PBR - Need Help?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Lighting 3D Scenes with PBR - Need Help?  (Read 6505 times)
TheClintHennesy
Level 0

Artist working on Twinkle Torch!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 17, 2017, 09:52:15 AM »

Hey Guys. First time posting here! :D

(Left - Execution in Engine, Right - Concept Art)

So we've been working on a tech demo- and I've been pushing this task forward for quite awhile. This also isn't the first time this happened with a game.

Normally, you would have concept art to show was a "proof" to your in-game design. The problem is (and I've faced this in more than multiple cases) that when we put things in the engine- things just don't look and feel as intended. It's a bit sad because our vision of it looked really good- but when we put things together in the engine- it just doesn't look as good.

To be honest- I'm not sure what we're doing wrong- or what needs to be worked on?
Is it the Lights? The post-processing? The color of the assets' textures?

I'm kinda late asking for help on this- but if anyone has some experience in trying to match execution and concept art- I'd definitely read into those! Shocked Thanks so much!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 12:19:06 AM »

Do you want to actually literally look like the concept art (i.e. drawn) or is something else the issue? One thing I can notice immediately is that the lush greens from the art are almost gone in-engine, having taken on an almost brown colour. The crystals also seem very blown out and a bit too emissive compared to the art. If you want to look literally like the drawings I would make sure to draw the textures the same way and mess with some semi-flat shading and make sure the colours match better.

HDSanctum
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 04:58:10 AM »

The aesthetic between the two are quite different, probably not a small task to get them to line up. The artist who drew the concepts is still around?

Some quick fixes you could try are working with some post-effects such as tone mapping or colour gradients, or even just adding simple ambient lighting to lift the dark shadows and add some colour. You can look at adjusting the level design to match the sense of low-clutter scale the concept art gave.

As mentioned previously, the crystals are different from the concept. The textures are very different from the concept, in the concept you used a clean, gradient style while you've gone with detail textures in-game, which are never easy to pull off. For inspiration, you could check out the tutorials posted here: https://twitter.com/minionsart

I'd look up screenshots from games with a similar aesthetic you are going for and really try to pick the techniques they did to pull it off. Either that or just figure out how to make what you have got work :D
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic