Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411496 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 06:33:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignWhat would you want from a Pet Raising Game?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What would you want from a Pet Raising Game?  (Read 651 times)
TheClintHennesy
Level 0

Artist working on Twinkle Torch!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 17, 2017, 10:12:32 AM »

Hey Guys,

I just want to ask here what are your thoughts and input on Pet Raising Games as a genre. Digimon, Pokemon, and Monster Rancher as games were a huge part of my childhood- and I'm actually incredibly sad why it's incredibly rare to find "indie" games out there that focus on this genre.

I believe Monster Rancher was the best when it came to Core Loop and Game play. The fact the you had to train your monsters and stuff like that and prepare for tournaments (that you schedule yourself) was a very different take from Pokemon and Digimon. I also really liked how your Monsters would die and "grow older"- which is really a huge part in the "Pet Raising" genre.

Pokemon focused a lot more on the collecting- since I feel like the turn-based combat of Pokemon didn't appeal too much for me. I played semi-competitive on this game (as in went to online simulations, EV trained, IV trained, etc)- and mechanically, as a competitive game, "Pokemon" focused a lot of team-building when it came into game play.

Digimon- (the first game) I think was pretty cool as well since it involved a lot of "taking care of your Digimon" like feeding and them having to take a poop. Then there's the perma-death thing- which was cool too. The rest of the games just felt like turn-based combat with minimal combat differences from Pokemon mechanically. The DNA Digivolution for the second game was pretty cool too- as you inherited some stuff from previous DNA digivolutions (IIRC)

If anyone played Fairyland Online- that game also had some interesting Player and Pet interactions- with pets being used as enchantments for your characters.

I'd like to ask you guys- if you guys are fan of this genre- what do you guys think of this genre?

I'm a huge fan of Monster Rancher and I'm really sad that they don't continue the franchise anymore. If there were some way to innovate the genre and work oh it and modernize the design- I'd definitely try to maybe simplify the training and combat and focus more on the "growing" aspect of it.

Kesstryl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 12:48:22 PM »

I play a lot of browser pet games, though few have combat features.  Most of them feature breeding (I love complex breeding systems).  I admit I never heard of Fairyland, and I might give it a try.  I never was into the others you mentioned.  I think my first pet game was Happy Pets on Facebook, and from there I found others that I currently have been playing for years.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic