Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 12:03:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignAdventure game basic story outline/idea, need feedback
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Adventure game basic story outline/idea, need feedback  (Read 710 times)
Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: October 17, 2017, 07:46:45 PM »

I'm working on an adventure video game story with multiple endings, in vain of Telltale (but with actual meaningful choices). I'm brainstorming a few potential scenarios, wonder what is most interesting to people (and how it could be improved further). This is just a hypothetical brief, one of many ideas, but figured I might as well share early and learn how much it sucks before I dig too deep into it haha Grin

-----------

Premise: You are the chief curator of the biggest local newspaper in Learis. You decide which articles get published and which do not. You shape the public opinion, and see how it impacts the world around you.

Years of ethnic and land disputes have led to shaky relations with the neighboring country of Agresistan. Threats escalate and the conflict escalates into inevitable invasion. With superior numbers and firepower, Agresistan quickly overtakes the border towns of Learis, and begins moving towards the capitol.

Each day, you paint a picture of the ensuing conflict as you choose what to publish. Is Agresistant a horrible oppressor? Or are they perhaps merely reclaiming their ancient-old land rights and reuniting a divided nation? And what of the growing pseudo-spiritual movement "Preachers," pushing its own agenda?

Over the course of a hectic week, Agresistan troops finally reach the capitol, as exhausted as the barely defeated Learisian troops. The war is over, a truce is agreed upon. But who will be in power? Depending on your influence, it could be Agresistan officials themselves, a native Learisian appointed by the new regime, or one of the Preachers rising to power among the turmoil.

The next week illustrates the life under the new government, each potential choice resulting in different set of benefits and problems. In one case, the Agresistan officials try to pacify the public, pushing advancement and economic boom as the big advantage of the new ruler. In the second scenario where a Learis native is appointed, doubt spreads through the nation as many distrust the suspected puppet. In the last scenario, where the Preachers took the power, new laws and regulations lead to tightening of governmental control over many aspects of daily life.
Peace Soft
Level 0

All magic is made from corn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 07:38:38 PM »

I like the concept. Little worried about the parodic tone and fantasy setting vs. the serious and realistic things you're trying to model. It doesn't help that the names make me think of some French rightist race war fantasy, which i hope isn't your plan but either way should illustrate the power and risk of playing with realism.

But mainly, just go ahead and dig in.  If you can get something compelling out of it, awesome, and if not, lesson learned. Graybox it, so to speak, i don't know what they call that for adventure games.

You already have about as good of a concept as anyone, it's the specific thing you make from it that matters. Like, I'm sure the Telltale guys want to have actual meaningful choices too but when the rubber hits the road there are several higher priorities. Just go for it, it's not heart surgery, no one dies when you fuck up. Have fun and good luck!

e: oh by the way I really like how this idea lets you use social skills and critical thinking as game mechanics, also how it tends to give the player a feeling of responsibility not to get played rather than inevitability that the game will push them onto the right path.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 07:50:15 PM by Peace Soft » Logged
bastrick
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 09:17:43 PM »

This could be an interesting game, if executed properly. We have games like The Republia Times by @dukope and The Westport Independent by Coffee Stain Studios that has a similar premise, and as far as my understanding goes, those games were quite popular by the community that enjoys that kind of game. Just make sure there are unique elements in the game, and I think you’re all set!

Website - Twitter
-- Currently working on: The Sixteenth Promise
-- Previous work: Frore Inc.
Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 10:41:07 AM »

Shit, imma be the bad guy here.

it's a cool setting. But i'm not a fan of comedic names vs realism. Breaks rules of comedy and lessens emotional impact.

it's okay but nothing surprising or new.

i'd like you to push forward.

is there anything interesting you can do with the characters?
characters sell the story. characters sell the choices.
What interesting characters, what interesting events?

edit:
i was about to write i saw a game like yours very recently and then i realised you're making headliner. Cool stuff!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic