Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 07:24:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEpocha Tower [Action-adventure RPG]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Epocha Tower [Action-adventure RPG]  (Read 18283 times)
M0ti
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2017, 11:44:25 PM »

In the Nearest City (working title), there are few independent organizations called guilds. They all exist to gather and support adventurers in the conquest of the Tower. Even though they work mostly the same, each of them can offer you different types of quests and services.

Welcome Guild
Welcome Guild will be the first guild to welcome you to the Nearest City. Its purpose is simple, gather newcomers and support them in their first adventures with the warm welcome. They can for example offer you guided tour through the city or recommend you the cheapest inn to stay overnight. Their quests are of the lowest difficulty and they concern only first few floors of the Tower.
Welcome Guild has its biggest meaning in the beginnings of the adventurous life. Once one gets his ranking card, the needs for Welcome Guild will gradually fade away.
Even though Welcome Guild is mainly designed for beginners, even skilled and high-leveled adventurer can find some use for it. If you for any reason lost your grounding (robbery or too many unsuccessful explorations in a row) Welcome Guild will be there as your safety cushion.

Note to the banner concepts: Themes for the Welcome Guild banner that I wanted to suggest are open doors or celebration as the only welcome party you will probably get. Tongue
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 10:18:23 PM by M0ti » Logged

- Twitter -
M0ti
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2017, 01:53:40 AM »

Until now the “CONTROL” script of the moving wall was fixly written for three blocks. So I made a small adjustment and now it works with flexible number of objects.
Their delays are also set based on the number of entries in the array of listeners.

- Twitter -
Ninety
Level 1

turnip boy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2017, 02:50:20 AM »

Looks interesting. I'll be following.

M0ti
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2017, 01:40:56 PM »

Looks interesting. I'll be following.

Thank you. I appreciate it a lot. If it's not too much to ask, could you tell me what made you interested in the project? Was it some particular gif, post with the lore or meaby something completely different?

- Twitter -
Ninety
Level 1

turnip boy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2017, 06:29:29 AM »

The first Demon Tower lore post was interesting, I like the idea of having floors reserved for self-governing machinery. But actually the thing I think I like most is how you're actually discussing different options and approaches as you go through, for example with regard to perspective and art style choices. I like dev logs that let you follow the decision making process rather than just being a glorified change log, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

M0ti
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2017, 04:02:31 AM »

The first Demon Tower lore post was interesting, I like the idea of having floors reserved for self-governing machinery. But actually the thing I think I like most is how you're actually discussing different options and approaches as you go through, for example with regard to perspective and art style choices. I like dev logs that let you follow the decision making process rather than just being a glorified change log, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thank you for your feedback. I myself am quite attached to the idea of exploring these "behind the scene" parts of the Tower. It would be nice to one day rise enough funds to fully realize them. Tongue
The socond point you've made, to the nature of this devlog itself. It makes me so happy that you have noticed! Yes, I would really like to create space for discussion where we can exchange our experience and share the thoughts that led us to the final conclusions. That's what I think is a meaningful way of doing it.

- Twitter -
M0ti
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2017, 10:19:34 PM »

Push Guild
Push Guild is the most straightforward of them all. Their goal is simply to push upwards. Conquer one floor after another with use of any means necessary (like superiority in numbers or explosives). Majority of Push Guild’s members are loud simpletons who only respect brute force. Thankfully there is also the strong influence of those who prefer calm and collected behaviour. After all, there needs to be someone capable, who will help the rest with ventilating all their energy in the right direction.
Push Guild’s quests will also reflect their nature and focus. The reward is given to anyone, who as first stepped to a “new highest” floor. You could also get involved with organized team attacks, the search of the shortest route through a level or with the development of new weapons and armors.

Note to the banner concepts: I have two ideas for the banner of the Push Guild. One should represent the effort to push upwards. Now it looks just like one dood holding arrow, but for the final I would like to go with something more like the Marine Corps War Memorial. Few warriors pushing in different ways and most importantly in some cool composition.
The second idea is just simple arrow, which looks kind of like the Tower itself and is decorated with medieval-ish ornaments.

- Twitter -
M0ti
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2017, 02:12:23 AM »

For this week's update I have just few small changes.
  • Made animation for vertical walls. Leaning on any wall could be risky now!
  • All moving walls got another command “INSTA_HIDE” so that they are hiddne from the start of the level, skiping the hiding animation.
  • Floor trap button can be invisible now.
  • Also did the little alarm sign but does not have any contextual scritp. It simply appears when I hold down space button.

- Twitter -
M0ti
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2017, 10:40:35 PM »

Rescue Guild
Rescue Guild’s duty is to prevent casualties and to maximize the number of people returning back unharmed. Long ago, before Welcome and Rescue guilds were founded, there was a high number of bad incidents due to the adventurer’s carelessness. It wasn’t just a mere thing that could one day happen to anyone. No, it was happening to a lot of people and all the time. Curious adventurers who unintentionally went too far into the Tower, got lost and then couldn’t find a way back for days.
That’s why Rescue Guild is almost constantly offering quests like; Tracking of the missing adventurers; locating possible resting spots; material gathering for healing potions.
Rescue Guild will be also thankful if you are willing to share informations about new threads when they appear.

Note to the banner concepts: I was looking for something between typical symbol of medicine and the mythical leviathan. So while I was making these drafts I was constantly in conflict between symmetrical cross-like shape and more asymmetrical and organic evoking shapes. Still not there yet.

- Twitter -
M0ti
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2017, 10:41:34 PM »

This is totally non-devlog post, but I couldn't help myself. I just adore the emojis here and wanted to mess with them for a while. It brings me back to the big boom of ICQ. Back then I and my friends were using some russian alternative called QIP and the emojies there were very similar to these.
 Gentleman My Word! <-- The gentlemans are my favorite, but I'm not sure if I would get much oportunities to use them. :DThe gentlemans are my favorite, but I'm not sure if I would get much oportunities to use them. :D

Waaagh! <-- And this one... what the hell is that?

But what I dig the most is the set of hands! You can mix them and create totally new things with it!

Hand Joystick Tired <-- that's what it looks like when you play till the morning.

Shocked Bro Fist Right Bro Fist Left Addicted <-- stunned by what they see, but still on the same wavelength

Who, Me? Hand Point Right  Well, hello there!  <-- yeah ... it's ok ... we know who did it
 Hand Fork Left Mock Anger Hand Knife Right <-- Give it to me already!

Hand Thumbs Up Left Cool <-- Hell yeah

Wizard Hand Shake Left Hand Shake Right Noir  <-- Wizard and detective plays freneticaly rock, paper, scissors together.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 12:14:16 AM by M0ti » Logged

- Twitter -
M0ti
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2017, 10:30:05 PM »

With help of my friend I finally figured out how to detect if the hero is behind an obstacle. Through the loop obj_hero checks space beneath him (right now he do so in length of the three times of his own size.)
If there is an obstacle, he use its height and y coordinates of both object to calculate if he is hidden or not.

- Twitter -
cgmonkey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2017, 08:34:57 AM »

I really enjoy this process, please keep sharing your journey!
M0ti
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2017, 02:32:42 AM »

I really enjoy this process, please keep sharing your journey!
Thank you for your encouragement! I would like to always share at least a little insight into my work.
I know it's unlikely, considering that the project is still so early in the pre-production, but if you ever had a question or a topic that I'm not adressing but you would like to discuss it, be free to tell me.

- Twitter -
M0ti
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2017, 10:10:46 PM »

Reveal Guild
Is specialized in the collecting of information. Each time you explore the whole floor, you can sell your discoveries here. The higher the floor, the higher is the value of your information. Reveal Guild also has the most demanding entry requirements because bottom levels are already completely revealed and so your information about them completely worthless.
You can still go inside and buy maps or tips for your own journey. After all, every guild has some kind of public space. You just don't have anything else to offer back except for money.
Reveal Guild quests will also revolve around information gathering. The symbols on the walls that still have not been deciphered. Doors without a key-hole. Unexplored monster behavior or whole floors without the entrance. That’s the type of quest you could expect from the Reveal Guild.

Note to the banner concepts: At the first I was a little bummed that I came with only one concept this week. Then I’ve realized that it’s actually a good thing because it means I have a clear vision about what a Reveal Guild’s banner should looks like.

- Twitter -
Valar05
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2017, 10:47:12 AM »

Huh, never actually noticed the perspective bit in Zelda - so I guess it never bothered me.  That being said, I like how your current walls allow you to hide things from the player.  Seems like you might be able to leverage that to do interesting things. 

I've been playing of lot of Doom/Heretic/Hexen lately, and something those games love to do is slide open walls and have enemies pour out from hidden compartments.  It can get pretty hairy if you aren't careful, makes for a good way to shake things up.  Might be a way to use that lack of vision Smiley
M0ti
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2017, 10:41:46 PM »

Huh, never actually noticed the perspective bit in Zelda - so I guess it never bothered me.  That being said, I like how your current walls allow you to hide things from the player.  Seems like you might be able to leverage that to do interesting things. 

I've been playing of lot of Doom/Heretic/Hexen lately, and something those games love to do is slide open walls and have enemies pour out from hidden compartments.  It can get pretty hairy if you aren't careful, makes for a good way to shake things up.  Might be a way to use that lack of vision Smiley

Wow, interesting idea. That's surely something to think about, because I didn't actually consider what each perspective could offer, only what limitation they have.
Getting a tip from classic FPS games, who would have thought. Nice example of how creative job works.

- Twitter -
M0ti
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2017, 10:39:56 PM »

I was just messing in the room editor, when I’ve realized that I don’t have a way to execute two or more different commands by one trigger. I was thinking about it the whole week and then started implementing an unnecessarily complicated solution, based on the use of ds_grid. Fortunately I realized soon enough that the simple two dimensional array was enough.
Now I don’t just have a simple way to carry out multiple commands at once.
By implementing the timer I also got a way to control order and pace of actions!

- Twitter -
M0ti
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2017, 12:39:19 AM »

Lead Guild
Lead guild is different from other guilds in many ways. Its functionality resemble the most the governing body. It is mainly composed of the leading members and key figures of other guilds. Here they can meet and discuss more general problems or tasks that require the collaboration of two or more guilds.
The main purpose of the Lead Guild is to ensure that individual guilds don’t lose track of their main and collective goal which is the conquest of the Tower.
Another noticeable difference from other guilds is a lack of notice-board on which you could find currently available quests. It’s not like the Lead Guild does not produce quests for adventurers, they just aren’t publicly available. They usually have higher responsibility attached to them and that’s why these quests are handled accordingly. Once new quest from Lead Guild is created, the council recommends particular individuals for the task. These adventurers are then personally approached with this offer by the guild's representative.

Note to the banner concepts: For the Leading Guild’s banner I have two main ideas. One is unity, that I tried to represent in the first and the third concept. The second idea was judgment, or dealing punishment. That’s why even though it looks kind of funny the concept in the middle is somehow good representation of that idea. It combines the balance as a tool for judgement and the sword as a tool of punishment. That strick look is there to keep other guilds in line.

- Twitter -
Sundrop
Level 1

Grandma cooks best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2017, 04:17:28 AM »

Nice to things progressing smoothly!  Coffee

Alce
Level 0

Twitter: @Alce_X

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2017, 10:33:32 AM »

Found this devlog recently, great read! The game concept sounds cool (I'm a big fan of action-rpgs) and love how you explain how you do everything.

I really love the 1st banner design-wise. I agree the middle one represents the ideas you're going for best though.

Aspiring chilean game dev. Likes artsy/experimental stuff.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic