Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:17:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The "Elegant" Code Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: The "Elegant" Code Thread  (Read 5772 times)
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2017, 10:22:24 PM »

My go to rule has always been that you should be able to understand what the code is doing in less than 15 seconds.

Yup. And this is one case where comments can actually hurt code readability. Having explanatory comments peppered throughout your code can break your understanding as you pause to read them. Docstrings are great, constant in-line comments throughout functions aren't.

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2017, 12:57:36 AM »

My go to rule has always been that you should be able to understand what the code is doing in less than 15 seconds.

Yup. And this is one case where comments can actually hurt code readability. Having explanatory comments peppered throughout your code can break your understanding as you pause to read them. Docstrings are great, constant in-line comments throughout functions aren't.

I just write a comment at the top of the function explaining what it does, and the variable names have descripting name of what they are doing, helping the readability. I would just add a single-line comment inside a function if I do something "strange" that it is not intuitive.

Games:

popawheelie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2017, 08:22:18 AM »

I just write a comment at the top of the function explaining what it does, and the variable names have descripting name of what they are doing, helping the readability. I would just add a single-line comment inside a function if I do something "strange" that it is not intuitive.

I'm pretty bad about placing comments at top of functions, but always use long descriptive variable names, the exception being counters (IE i,j,k etc)

Some other practices I have to help with readability (and by no means are these considered standard, and maybe even go against convention)

1) Class Names always start with upper case letters and in my case have a 'Bx' prefix. This allows me to easily differentiate from other third party classes: BxMyClass

2) Class variables are always at least two words, with the first lower case: myClassVariable

3) Local variables are all lower case, and split up with underscores: my_local_variable

4) Constants are all uppercase: MY_CONSTANT

qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2017, 09:28:17 AM »

Don't really like comments in code. Typically they decay over time, meaning they are just a liability. I like to treat comments the same as code; use them sparingly as when justified.
JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2017, 10:40:21 AM »

Don't really like comments in code. Typically they decay over time, meaning they are just a liability. I like to treat comments the same as code; use them sparingly as when justified.

Yeah I went from comment everything to comment only when really necessary and otherwise try to write understandable code. Situations where magic constants appear for example justify a short note on the reasoning for the specific value.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2017, 10:57:43 AM »

I have to write comments at the end of every line of code for every assignment I turn in for two of my college courses.

DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2017, 11:15:20 AM »

I have to write comments at the end of every line of code for every assignment I turn in for two of my college courses.

good god

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2017, 11:18:12 AM »

makes sense in a school context tho, just like notes that show how you arrived at your answer for a maths test are required

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2017, 11:22:26 AM »

Yeah, I'm not knocking the learning benefit of them, it's just that it's tedious as all hell trying to maintain the horizontal alignment if I have to change something, which means I usually just do that last. I do wish there was some kind of tool for automatically aligning comments and preventing line returns from changing the line on which the comments sit. It would make comments way easier to maintain.

Maybe I could make a VS extension for that? Hm...

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2017, 11:47:21 AM »

i just put the comments on a line above the line of code instead of after it on the same line (with certain exceptions)

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2017, 12:24:21 PM »

Yeah, I'm not knocking the learning benefit of them, it's just that it's tedious as all hell trying to maintain the horizontal alignment if I have to change something, which means I usually just do that last. I do wish there was some kind of tool for automatically aligning comments and preventing line returns from changing the line on which the comments sit. It would make comments way easier to maintain.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your issue but that should work fine if you select the code region and then go ctrl-k, ctrl-f. Or if you want to format the whole file ctrl-a,ctrl-k,ctrl-f

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2017, 01:42:03 PM »

I'm going to go ahead and knock the learning benefit then. Seems utterly useless and like a waste of time to me tbh. Like this I imagine would blow up the time needed to finish an assignment immensely, while failing to teach how to write self documenting code. There's benefit in having to write some amount of comments to demonstrate understanding but I'm pretty sure one per line is just bullshit.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2017, 10:07:52 PM »

{ // open the scope
} // end the scope

Cheesy

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2017, 12:49:28 AM »

I do not like very much Google Comment style:
https://google.github.io/styleguide/cppguide.html#Comment_Style

I would use /* */ instead of a double backslash every line, and commenting how the function should be use forces you to have a massive block of comment, when I can just look in the code how that function is being used.

Games:

Crimsontide
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2017, 07:47:59 AM »

I do not like very much Google Comment style:
https://google.github.io/styleguide/cppguide.html#Comment_Style

I would use /* */ instead of a double backslash every line, and commenting how the function should be use forces you to have a massive block of comment, when I can just look in the code how that function is being used.

If you use visual studio, the comments come along with intellisense.  So a small comment can really help because I don't even have to switch documents, I can simply type the name (or something close) scroll until I see a function I think I'm looking for, and right away know what exactly it does, along with its parameters.

Also /* */ can't be nested (sadly) so I prefer to use in mainly for debugging when I need to quickly disable large sections and stick with // almost exclusively the rest of the time.

But other than that I agree with you, the google coding style seems a bit strange in many places.

Really, as long as its neat, clean, and consistent, its fine IMHO.  Oh and you should always use tabs not spaces... that one is a must!
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2017, 08:35:01 AM »

{ // open the scope
} // end the scope

Cheesy

Facepalm  Durr...?

I think you found a new contender. That's even worse than

// sets X
void SetX(int x)

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2017, 08:49:45 AM »

i just put the comments on a line above the line of code instead of after it on the same line (with certain exceptions)

Can't do that lol, my prof wants a specific formatting.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your issue but that should work fine if you select the code region and then go ctrl-k, ctrl-f. Or if you want to format the whole file ctrl-a,ctrl-k,ctrl-f

What I mean it that I have to format the comments at the end of lines of code so they all line up horizontally. kinda like this:

Code:
int something = 0;        // Comment 1
something = 2;            // Comment 2
std::cout << something;   // Comment 3

And I have to maintain that alignment throughout the file.

I'm going to go ahead and knock the learning benefit then. Seems utterly useless and like a waste of time to me tbh. Like this I imagine would blow up the time needed to finish an assignment immensely, while failing to teach how to write self documenting code. There's benefit in having to write some amount of comments to demonstrate understanding but I'm pretty sure one per line is just bullshit.

I mean yeah, it's time consuming, but then again I'm in college, and my prof has to look at my code and spend the least possible amount of time trying to figure out what it does, so it's probably just for the edge case where I write something that's obvious to me but obtuse to him.

{ // open the scope
} // end the scope

Cheesy

Don't joke about this kind of stuff, someone might get the brilliant idea of actually doing it lol

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2017, 10:20:41 AM »

oohh I see what you mean. I've felt that pain a bit. I used to align all my member declarations using tabs but auto format would mess all that up or someone would autoformat and submit it to source control.

It's too bad I really liked that formatting for members and variables. Kind of looked like a spreadsheet.

If you make that plugin for VS I'd be interested Smiley

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2017, 01:01:18 AM »

oohh I see what you mean. I've felt that pain a bit. I used to align all my member declarations using tabs but auto format would mess all that up or someone would autoformat and submit it to source control.

It's too bad I really liked that formatting for members and variables. Kind of looked like a spreadsheet.

If you make that plugin for VS I'd be interested Smiley

I found CodeAlignment plugin:
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=cpmcgrath.Codealignment

but I did not try it yet, and I cannot find if this works for comments. But in this one:
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=wwm.better-align
the GIF shows that works for comments also.

Games:

popawheelie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2017, 06:49:56 AM »

Also /* */ can't be nested (sadly) so I prefer to use in mainly for debugging when I need to quickly disable large sections and stick with // almost exclusively the rest of the time.

Yes. Right on the money.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic