Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:01:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessAnnouncing games on forums detrimental?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Announcing games on forums detrimental?  (Read 1275 times)
Moon Goon
Level 1

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2017, 03:59:39 AM »

Just wanted to get some opinions on this.

I post about my games on TIGSource because, well, I'm proud of my games and love to share them with my peers.

However, on other gaming related sites I also post in part to publicize.  The trouble seems to be when a toxic community decides to arbitrarily throw around hate.  I've actually found that when I post in one place in particular I get dislikes on my related YouTube videos %100 percent of the time.

My question is: is posting on other forums even worth it?

I'm a PEEK'er. I'm a POKE'er. And I'm a midnight coder. I type my programs and hit RUN.

Check out itch.io for my Atari 2600 game ROMs! http://theloon.itch.io/
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 12:02:50 AM »

I haven't seen that happen in a lot of communities. Just post it on a community that welcomes it.
Moon Goon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 04:02:46 AM »

It might be in the sub-genre of games that I develop for.

I've decided to take it head on and directly ask the most vocal (yet least constructive) and/or toxic for feedback.  Usually I find developers clam up and refuse to engage such people.  Even if I can get negative feedback from them it'll be progress.  AND, perhaps they'll feel more invested.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 04:37:39 AM by Moon Goon » Logged

I'm a PEEK'er. I'm a POKE'er. And I'm a midnight coder. I type my programs and hit RUN.

Check out itch.io for my Atari 2600 game ROMs! http://theloon.itch.io/
Fat Pug Studio
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 04:50:37 AM »

I don't think it can hurt. There are probably toxic guys on every general gaming forum, but sub-genre forums are usually fine places to be.

thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 03:18:05 PM »

2 things can happen with the dislikes

- people are jerks, and have no respect for soemone's efforts, to me, the dislike button "hurts" the content creator so it should only be used if something is offensive or distasteful, you not liking something on an opinion level to me doesn't warrant a dislike

- people are jealous and being spiteful

unfortunately, it's their right to do so, focus on who's supporting you, not silly trolls.

uVR
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 07:14:25 AM »

2 things can happen with the dislikes

- people are jerks, and have no respect for soemone's efforts, to me, the dislike button "hurts" the content creator so it should only be used if something is offensive or distasteful, you not liking something on an opinion level to me doesn't warrant a dislike

- people are jealous and being spiteful

unfortunately, it's their right to do so, focus on who's supporting you, not silly trolls.

Very true.  Do not feed the Trolls, your problems will only get worse.  We're learning the hard way that marketing and PR is a very delicate process that can make or break your success.
Lares Yamoir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 06:17:47 AM »

Obviously getting hate comments and dislikes on your game's Youtube video feels bad, but in truth, those haters are actually helping you out there in terms of visibility. You see Youtube doesn't care whether a video gets liked or disliked. Just the interaction counts. Same goes for comments. So by getting dislikes, your videos are more likely to be shown to people watching directly on the Youtube platform.
You might think that having a lot of dislikes is bad from a PR perspective, but I don't believe people will actally check dislikes before watching your video. Who knows, some might even be more inclined to give you a like, because the like:dislike-ratio seems unfair to them.

I'm not saying "just deal with the hate, it's good!". Do whatever feels most appropriate to you for your own sanity. But in terms of bad for PR or SEO, dislikes alone are not detrimental.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic