Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:52:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesAnyone hyped for new Star Control games?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Anyone hyped for new Star Control games?  (Read 2863 times)
ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« on: October 24, 2017, 02:01:55 PM »

Stardock's spinoff is now available for preorder:

https://www.starcontrol.com

Even better, original creators are making their own real sequel!

https://dogarandkazon.squarespace.com

SC2 is my all time favorite game and I'm looking forward to both of these. You can never have enough open world space games with weird aliens. I just hope we get a printable map for both of them Smiley
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 07:29:45 AM by ViktorTheBoar » Logged

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 02:58:19 PM »

It makes me *frumple*
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 06:24:40 PM »

starcon2 is one of my favorite games of all time. I'm taking a wait and see approach with this one.

ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 05:48:48 AM »

starcon2 is one of my favorite games of all time. I'm taking a wait and see approach with this one.

"starcon2"... I haven't called it like that in a long time Noir

SchriefFighter
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 10:02:54 AM »

never heard of this franchise...
ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 02:45:19 PM »

never heard of this franchise...

When Star Control came out, all the kids in my circle loved it because it was a colorful version Spacewar with tons of different ships that had unique abilities. None of us ever bothered with full strategic game because we sucked at English language, but Melee™ was hours and hours of constant gaming!

Then when SC2 came around, it gave a dark story about the war between all those strange and often silly alien races. It was really dark because because after SC1, the good guys lost!!! Starcon2 was hard and grindy, but it was an open universe where you could meet all those aliens you played in SC1 and they had funktons of history and relations in their conversations. I was hooked! I restarted it about five times before I seriously went through all the hoops to finish the whole game in about two weeks and it was almost an orgasmic experience, mostly ruined by my mom who saw the screen that showed the endgame pic of the Syreen leader waiting for me and my mom asked "what is this big breasted woman you're looking at?", and I was like "shut up mom, you don't understand the depth of this!!!!1".

Then SC3 came out. Biggest disappointment was that conversations were either shit or literally copy-pasted from SC2.

So now I'm looking forward to both of these games. I'm old enough not to be angry at Stardock making some completely different aliens and calling it by the holy name of Star Control. I'm also really happy about original authors making their own sequels and, honestly, if they just made Pacman clone and named it Star Control, I'd still be all over it!

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 06:52:37 PM »

Yes for those looking to try to the original it's important that you play Star Control 2, barring that part 1. There is a 3 and a 4 but they were made by a different developer.

Also it's very easy to play today because there's an active community that keeps the game updated. For some reason you can get the whole game legally too.

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

I still play the game about once every 2-3 years when I can get a few days off in a row. Still haven't seen everything Smiley

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 06:55:41 PM »

Whoa did you edit the original post or did I totally miss that the original creators are making a new game?

That's amazing. When I was young and thought about what I wanted to do when I grew up, the only video game company I wanted to work for was toys for bob. By the time I was older they were long gone.

Now I'm super excited.

ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 02:31:47 PM »

Also it's very easy to play today because there's an active community that keeps the game updated. For some reason you can get the whole game legally too.

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

That's because creators made it open source. AFAIR when they put it out, everything was completely free except for the name "Star Control" and that's why it's called "The Ur-Quan Masters". As much as I love puppetry, my favorite way to play is still with original graphics, music and interface, but with added voices. Also, that huge black and white map with spoilers that you can find on the internet Kiss

People complain that no Android version doesn't work well with gamepads. Too bad :/

Whoa did you edit the original post or did I totally miss that the original creators are making a new game?

You missed it. My edit was a stupid typo :D

Toys for bob had another awesome game - The Horde. Insane action-strategy with the cutscenes done in a photo strip (or whatever you English speakers call it) with a Blackadder-like feel to it, but with occasional puppets. I have the DOS version somewhere, but I can't get it started. I forgot why D:

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 04:10:31 PM »

Oh my god I didn't realize they were the developers of the horde. I love that game too!

Interesting that they were able to release the game. I had thought that the publisher would have owned it. Nice Smiley

ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 03:13:06 AM »

I forgot I had this thread, so let's copy/paste the drama

Ur-Quan Masters of Lawsuits 1

Fred&Paul offer a counter-settlement, gets denied:
https://www.dogarandkazon.com/blog/2018/3/24/nope-and-nope

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 03:18:16 PM »

Summarize for someone too lazy to watch the vids (not me, of course), please?
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 07:12:30 PM »

Brad Wardell is being a jerk to the creators of star control IIRC.

The timeline the brothers presented paints a pretty rough picture.

For those who hate videos here's a text form of the story https://www.dogarandkazon.com/

Gameimake
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 03:29:22 AM »

As you think related to world space game then I like Elite dangerous. But what is a difference between Elite and Stardock?
ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2018, 09:27:04 AM »

As you think related to world space game then I like Elite dangerous. But what is a difference between Elite and Stardock?

Hmm... Oh well.

Elite Dangerous is an awesome MMO space simulator, except that it happens in a boring universe where everything is lazily computer generated. You play it from inside the ship.

Star Control are games where you fly space ships and save the universe by talking to and/or killing weird aliens. You play it by watching the ship from above.

Stardock is a company that mostly makes different kinds of space strategy games. There's now a drama between Stardock and original creators of Star Control.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 12:21:06 AM »

oh hi mark

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 07:48:45 AM »

same game they just changed the title in japan for marketing purposes
Gameimake
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2018, 05:21:44 AM »

Both sides agree not to interfere with each other's new game development moving forward. ... Either side may disclose the final settlement agreement to anyone.
ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 01:22:34 PM »

That would be lovely. Unfortunately, the case goes on, so D&G set up a gofundme a few minutes ago!
https://www.gofundme.com/help-fred-amp-paul-save-the-universe?member=333940

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2018, 12:18:47 AM »

Two million. Heh...
No friggin' way.

Yeah.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: