Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:28:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesAnyone hyped for new Star Control games?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Anyone hyped for new Star Control games?  (Read 2860 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2018, 10:23:53 AM »

way too niche

ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2018, 05:15:54 AM »

They don't need to collect that much. What they need to do is make drama, and it seems to work pretty well.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2018, 08:54:31 AM »

not so much for yandere dev

ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2018, 03:03:16 PM »

Yandere dev had drama? Nobody tells me anything!

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2018, 03:21:25 PM »

Character assassination, feeding on his creepy perverse persona, and by his social mismanagement/exploitation of volunteer, + wild extrapolation for harmless stuff and fuel by pure jealously of his gain over patreon and success of his youtube channel. Add bits of misunderstanding about how a game is made, a features that kept being delay (for the right sensible reason), self pity from the dev and you have a glorious popcorn worthy trainwreck. Hop onto youtube to see people piling on the juicy bit ...

But digging into it made me realize how the game is actually ahead of the curve in term of design (if we ignore execution), it solve so many thing people has been discussing for years, I mean it's a sandbox story driven full simulation with social interaction that make sense. The only thing he need to solve now is level design, I don't know how skilled or knowledgeable he is in this field to execute. While he is attacked about his supposed very bad coding style, well it's not a problem if he already made so much that already work, and in a way no people actually achieved before.

It has the potential to be game design milestone that will be overlook because of meme, drama and creepyness factor.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2018, 01:04:22 AM »

hes a 4chan edgelord who got fired by tinybuild and tinybuild is a bunch of soviet refugees who publish broken gamejam games and do orgies in their bellevue mansion
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2018, 10:43:00 AM »

as told by edgelord

ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2018, 03:03:53 PM »

I don't know how skilled or knowledgeable he is in this field to execute.

What concerns me about this is that he completely changed the game's style after he said "hey, I like hitman, I think Yandere should be more like hitman" which is a good idea, but it seems like he's just winging 90% of the time.

OTOH, that's okay, I love following a game that's being developed by winging it. That's why I love Streets of Rogue so much :D

hes a 4chan edgelord who got fired by tinybuild and tinybuild is a bunch of soviet refugees who publish broken gamejam games and do orgies in their bellevue mansion

This is the part I didn't know at all!! He's no longer with Tinybuild? Wow... AND they have a mansion? Awesome!

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2018, 05:53:19 PM »

I think you are refering to "let's examine hitman" video he made. I don't agree at all. What he is doing in is video is that he is talking about the weak point of his game and use hitman to show how that game will solve it, AND how they do not apply to his game, and his take on these problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNaM97tgHUM? The video in question.
I really don't feel like he is winging it at all, he has a very clear focus on all his video, and he is trying to solve problem and experiment with another. Even the lore is trying to make gameplay more apparent by justifying them as organically as possible (explaining why you and other character do stuff and why they can do it). IN fact he made a new video talking about just that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNdN0CjqhTw?
It was always a stealth game in a social environement, like hitman, since the beginning. The video shift from killing target, to the environement of killing the target, which is normal because once you have the interaction you need to have element of design to make level and have challenge.

I mean the hitman video is from 2016, the new video is from 2018, in two years he is still saying the exact same thing.

The only moment where it seems he was adding unnecessary things is with the city and even that he was plainly saying he was evaluating because it wasn't sure it could benefit the game. And he remove it long ago, despite it being part of the original vision. I feel like people who like at this and say he wing it don't really understand game design and the creative process. It's not like you one thing after another linearly, you set hypothesis, test them, and if they fail you move to the next experiment, until you solved all the problem.

For example it's Obvious Osana isn't implemented yet because he has a huge level design problem, which he has addressed in almost all this video directly or indirectly ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDh2h1YRbhc? ), and explain what the problem is and how he will solve it. Here is someone analysis of this particular case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWKGMOS61X4?
I have never see him changing the game style at all. People are just reacting to what's presented, and the scope unveil itself over time.

He split with tiny build due to the handling of code and the progress on the game, but the details are not really known, there si a lot of speculation thrown around, after trying to look at the evidence I'm not sure we should gave them credit.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 06:03:06 PM by gimymblert » Logged

ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2018, 08:57:48 AM »

I followed his progress much less after that hitman/city video, so I'm sure you're right about these last two years. Back in my day, he was mostly adding random features which I was okay with, since I was more interested in the journey than the actually finished game :D

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2018, 11:13:52 AM »

I follow him since the beginning... -_-, I never felt he was adding random features as much as finding how the game should play, it's almost a new genre, nobody has mixed simulation and scheduling like that game.

ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2018, 01:04:24 PM »

Yeah, I also followed him since very early days, but slowed down... I guess around 2016.

Everything he would suggest sounded like fun to me (except making the whole city wtf)

Boy, this Star Control development is so exciting  Grin

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic