Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:26:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhy the FUCK do AAA video games still cost 60 bucks?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Why the FUCK do AAA video games still cost 60 bucks?  (Read 8851 times)
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« on: October 25, 2017, 07:22:59 PM »

I really don't understand.

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 07:55:20 PM »

Because multinationals don't wanna change their way of thinking.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 08:55:01 PM »

In 2009, as reported by Forbes magazine, Robert Kotick received approximately $3.2 million USD in salary, benefits, options and incentives for his work with Activision Blizzard, of which $953,654 was his actual salary.[1] By 2013, Kotick was the second highest compensated CEO in the United States, earning $64.9 million USD, mostly in stock.[10]
As Chief Executive Officer at ELECTRONIC ARTS INC., ANDREW WILSON made $19,972,718 in total compensation. Of this total $1,083,846 was received as a salary,

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 09:08:55 PM »

because most of game production happens in us and western europe, where cost of living was driven to the limit by big cities housing market and lack of socially available healthcare. And they still move 70% of production to china and eastern europe. So $60 is too low.
So just let all this CalArts bay area stuff die if you dont want $100 games.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 01:02:45 AM »

probably because they cost absurd amounts of money to make even when subsidised by mentally insane loot box addicts
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 01:20:50 AM »

the following are good to me:

invisible walls
unvoiced dialogue
stratification of cutscenes whereby many of them rely on reused assets and animations with only a select few important to the story that are manually lip synched

if a game isn't visibly straining against every seam of its budget then the budget is probably too big
ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 02:35:34 PM »

Most of AAA games cost about 5€ to me. I just buy them about three years after they come out :D

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 03:51:47 PM »

I would like to point out too that in the 90's most AAA titles were more on the $80-$90 range, plus the drop in price from $60 to the $30 range happens REALLY FAST for most games now, so the $60 is more of an early adopter fee for most.  Games are cheaper than they've ever been, by a LOT.

-Fuzzy Spider
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 04:08:54 PM »

It's one of the few things that hasn't risen in price with inflation (despite the fact AAA cost WAY more to make now than they did in the 90's)

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 04:13:43 PM »

which shouldn't be surprising at all considering the market is much much (much) larger now and the equation basically doesn't have marginal costs. if anything it's weird they're not sold for less

sanwayzar
Level 0

Game Director at Game-O-Gami

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 06:46:04 PM »

probably because they cost absurd amounts of money to make even when subsidised by mentally insane loot box addicts

You are the wind beneath my wings.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 08:37:13 PM »

which shouldn't be surprising at all considering the market is much much (much) larger now and the equation basically doesn't have marginal costs. if anything it's weird they're not sold for less

The market is larger but I'm not sure the AAA market is larger. AFAIK PS2 still has the most units sold and games were significantly cheaper to make back then. The cost to make a game each generation is growing at an insane pace. Console game companies are being more conservative than ever when greenlighting games because making a AAA game is more of a risk these days.

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 12:40:34 AM »

if anything it's weird they're not sold for less
this is what i was getting at. a movie ticket costs like nothing, yet a game costs this. i just don't see why. DVDs can't be that expensive.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 01:36:05 AM »

if movies could be a success with only a million people watching them then the economics of making and marketing a film would be uh different
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 02:04:17 AM »

theres between 40 to 100 million people in the entire world who can afford to pay above $40 for shameful videogame
NowSayPillow
Level 1

John Carmack Clone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 03:34:53 AM »

probably because they cost absurd amounts of money to make even when subsidized by mentally insane loot box addicts

You are the wind beneath my wings.

<3

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2017, 08:23:42 AM »

can I also just throw in the thing about how both "AAA" movies and games necessarily have to include things that look unmistakably expensive (not (easily) reproducible by small studios, such as state of the art CG sequences or dumb shit like intricately animated menus and big name actors in games) just to differentiate themselves from producers with less capital even if it really adds squat to the experience and can't otherwise be justified to use your budget on

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 08:33:18 AM »

the price is fine, but why have aaa profits tripled but salaries stagnated in the last few years?

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 09:33:33 AM »

can I also just throw in the thing about how both "AAA" movies and games necessarily have to include things that look unmistakably expensive (not (easily) reproducible by small studios, such as state of the art CG sequences or dumb shit like intricately animated menus and big name actors in games) just to differentiate themselves from producers with less capital even if it really adds squat to the experience and can't otherwise be justified to use your budget on

I agree with that. A lot of unnecessary stuff in AAA games.

the price is fine, but why have aaa profits tripled but salaries stagnated in the last few years?

Can you post a link showing those numbers?

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 10:56:49 AM »

The more interesting question is: Why did "AAA" games (as the meaning of "AAA" changes with times) cost 60 bucks before?

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic