Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:46:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhy the FUCK do AAA video games still cost 60 bucks?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Why the FUCK do AAA video games still cost 60 bucks?  (Read 8822 times)
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2017, 07:27:58 AM »

at this point of progress it may be plausible to create infrastructure thats not tied to USA dollar, transport movement and oil
zizulot
Level 0

ZIZ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2017, 04:54:52 AM »

at this point of progress it may be plausible to create infrastructure thats not tied to USA dollar, transport movement and oil
Gadafi :D
TinkerTyler
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2018, 03:11:09 PM »

Because they're so expensive to make.  I feel like the cost/fun ratio drops off really quickly with games, though. 

I really don't play many triple A games because I know they're just trying to make me happy, instead of actually trying to awaken something in me.

ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2018, 04:54:39 AM »

https://warhorsestudios.cz/index.php?page=blog&entry=blog_007&lang=en

discuss...

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2018, 05:29:12 AM »

read it in 2012
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2018, 05:43:38 AM »

oh shit its written by that guy who was put on electric chair for saying "knock-knock" to his pug
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2018, 04:13:11 AM »

oh shit its written by that guy who was put on electric chair for saying "knock-knock" to his pug
what?

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2018, 04:42:54 AM »

britain sent him to GULAG
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2018, 08:56:54 PM »

10 video games plot twist you wouldn't believe

poisonknight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2018, 08:31:00 AM »

Well maybe it's because the market is around that price and if you go for a lower price people might think that it's a low quality games. The same concept with brands like lV Coach etc
Bellator
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2018, 02:31:55 PM »

Yeah it's basically the standard which is now very attached to a quality of a game and do not relate to the size of a company, or how much they have invested in developing the game.
Or it might be that prices are actually done through the marketing research, and making it cheaper * how many copies people buy  would still make a loss against 60 * copies. Or maybe it's neither
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2018, 10:33:41 AM »

...maybe games should cost less to make. maybe fire the upper managers and higher-ups who make the most fucked decisions that usually ruin games and let them still get away with most of the profit while the people who're actually working on the game barely see their family because of overtime and get paid way too little.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2018, 11:27:42 AM »

that's impossible as long as investors keep inflating the budget of high profile titles to insanity and publishers then have a responsibility to do everything physically possible to make sure there's a maximum return (or minimum risk of loss) on it

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2018, 12:36:28 PM »

why the FUCK do i have to eat my vegetables
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2018, 12:47:54 PM »

AAA video games cost ~80$ CAD here because of exchange rates.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2018, 01:22:14 PM »

...maybe games should cost less to make. maybe fire the upper managers and higher-ups who make the most fucked decisions that usually ruin games and let them still get away with most of the profit while the people who're actually working on the game barely see their family because of overtime and get paid way too little.
most fucked up decisions are the ones that make money
also every gamedev person i know is down with some user exploit shit.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2018, 04:34:38 PM »

but decent indie are price at 20$, anymore and people complained

JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2018, 09:13:54 PM »

Because people will still pay $60.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Hardgamuh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2018, 09:01:09 AM »

Because companies enjoy milking consumers for as much as they can get away with.. to the point where they'll charge an absurd amount if they know that you HAVE to get it from them and cant get it elsewhere.
Gustie
Level 0

Wolf

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2018, 05:28:45 AM »

Before it made sense to cost much higher due to more work (Huh?) involved, and less people in the industry (Huh?).

Now it feels like they know the ins and outs and the making of the game is potentially estimated, with clear conditions in mind. The most effort nowadays goes into the concept designing, not the programming part, and i guess the most of the price consist of the artwork and modeling other than the coding and storytelling. 

With that said i think that over the years we have moved to the point where we value designers work even more.

As of programming value dropped over the years due to more skilled people, designers earn much more because they give the meaning to a game and the game depends on the immersion. So the price did not change because of that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic