Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 06:57:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralBook Club
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Book Club  (Read 2621 times)
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« on: October 25, 2017, 07:44:21 PM »

I couldn't find a reading thread, so here.

What books are you reading?
Do you know books to recommend to others?
It can be anything! Social Science, Biology, Fiction, etc.

I'm currently reading some of George R R Martin's non-GoT literature.

ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 02:21:12 PM »

Do audiobooks count? I'm currently listening to The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It's terribly Mary Sue, but it's written so beautifully and the audiobook reader sounds so soothing that I don't really care. I just love losing myself in the atmosphere while taking long hikes across the city.

As for reading paperbacks, I have Dragon's Treasure written by my friend Maya Starling, but I haven't started reading it yet because I'm a terrible friend Sad

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 03:25:56 PM »

haven't read for pleasure in a long time but big fan of coetzee and the book Under The Loving Care Of The Fatherly Leader
omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 04:23:15 PM »

Blood Meridian is pretty good

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 12:41:45 AM »

Do audiobooks count?
sure! i'm more iffy on podcasts, but something like radiolab can be discussed here too i suppose.

bastrick
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 01:10:51 AM »

I'm currently reading The Silmarillion by Tolkien. It's a tough book to get through, but interesting nonetheless Smiley

Website - Twitter
-- Currently working on: The Sixteenth Promise
-- Previous work: Frore Inc.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 01:46:26 AM »

Under the Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader wasnt a joke btw, if you have any interest in or want to understand the situation of north korea then this scholarly tome is the singlemost important book on the issue. its not sensationalised accounts of defectors, it is a thorough and studious account of the formation of the country and its history tracked right through to the early 2000s where it brings up the issue of succession with a hopeful tone.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 07:24:47 AM »

A Column of Fire is the one, for now...
I loved the previous two, read them multiple times. This one shall be no exception, I figure.

Yeah.
SypherZent
Level 0

Software Development Engineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 04:08:59 PM »

I just had my first short book self-published this year, and I made a coupon recently for some friends.
I put a limit and expiration date on the coupon, and I doubt it will hit the limit.

So, I will share it, in case you would like something short and different to read.
It is inspired by many ancient myths.

---
Coupon Code: NFNQV4
Expires: 12/31/2017
URL: https://store.bookbaby.com/book/Kigaea
Note: Select the Digital version (eBook), as the Coupon will make it free during checkout.

Preview is available.

Some info, in case it is not your preferred genre...

Genre: Fantasy
Focus: This is first book of an upcoming series, focusing on destruction of the old world, and a revolutionary change, written from the perspective of people witnessing the event first-hand. Through a Cosmic event, Magic is reborn in a world that forgot it existed.

Hope it may provide a couple of hours of entertainment. Smiley
eyeliner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 04:03:21 AM »

I got it. I hope I like it, as I wouldn't mind paying for the printed version.

Yeah.
SypherZent
Level 0

Software Development Engineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 12:17:27 PM »

Hope you enjoy, too! Smiley Any feedback appreciated. ^^
ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 05:40:46 AM »

I finally started with Jack Vance Treasury which I bought from Humble about a billion years ago. I love his needlessly complex writing style Coffee

meganrose
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 08:18:20 PM »

I just finished reading the first Witcher book, the short story one. Now I'm starting on the Ice and Fire series, they're extremely long and I'll probably be reading them for half a year with the rate that I'm going!  Tired
SpaceKatdet
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 02:40:03 PM »

For a moment, I got really excited thinking that you wanted to make a book club style group on here and discuss.

Honestly, I recently picked up a bunch of history books from a local Goodwill. That stuff is dirt cheap and luckily history doesn't go out of date like scientific subject books do.
eyeliner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 09:32:27 AM »

Do study materials count?
I'm preparing for exam 70-486.

Yeah.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 10:33:44 AM »

Fire  Angry and Fury  Evil
windykeeper
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2018, 04:01:56 AM »

Under the Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader wasnt a joke btw, if you have any interest in or want to understand the situation of north korea then this scholarly tome is the singlemost important book on the issue. its not sensationalised accounts of defectors, it is a thorough and studious account of the formation of the country and its history tracked right through to the early 2000s where it brings up the issue of succession with a hopeful tone.

Interesting. I've recently developed a penchant to learn about North Korea. I'm almost done reading The Real North Korea, a book by a soviet exchange student who studied at the Kim Il Sung university and is incredibly knowledgeable about NK's history. It's incredible how much insight can be gleaned from it. I also went scouring for some Kim Il Sung books and was surprisingly able to find a bunch at a bookstore nearby. Anyways, I'll be adding Under the Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader to my reading list, alongside MY Dear Leader. Hand Thumbs Up Right

I'm also reading The Art of Game Design at the moment.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2018, 04:10:22 AM »

Interesting. I've recently developed a penchant to learn about North Korea. I'm almost done reading The Real North Korea, a book by a soviet exchange student who studied at the Kim Il Sung university and is incredibly knowledgeable about NK's history. It's incredible how much insight can be gleaned from it. I also went scouring for some Kim Il Sung books and was surprisingly able to find a bunch at a bookstore nearby. Anyways, I'll be adding Under the Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader to my reading list, alongside MY Dear Leader. Hand Thumbs Up Right

I'm also reading The Art of Game Design at the moment.

it's interesting to hear Andrei Lankov referred to as a "soviet exchange student", which is true but since then he's become probably the most prolific "nk watcher". i might check his latest book out, thanks.
woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2018, 03:47:59 AM »

I don't read much, but I recently finished Mr Nice (Autobiography of Howard Marks).
What a crazy life story.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 04:26:48 AM by woodsmoke » Logged

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2018, 08:31:50 PM »

https://www.goodreads.com/series/136308-the-licanius-trilogy
These books are incredible. Theres so much happening in the background that you never really start to see until at least book 2. The characters are all incredible. Theres a little cliche, but its definitely at an acceptible level.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic