Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 11:35:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesJumpbox - Metaness of the meta
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Jumpbox - Metaness of the meta  (Read 10591 times)
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: May 18, 2009, 08:02:42 PM »

Here's a Flash game I just played. It's called Jumpbox, and it's by Hugo Carnavale. Stick until the end; it's worth it.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/Hugo_Carnavale/jumpbox

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 09:04:46 PM »

...God damn. That kind of, uh, puts things into perspective. I'd be annoyed that I've been so insulted, but the points are pretty valid. This is actually what I'd look like when I gather up the courage to show some enthusiasm about one of my favourite pastimes. I've never actually felt bad for liking these videogames, but... hell. It is kind of silly. Thanks a lot hugo.

...maybe I should take some time away from here. To Think! I'm sure I'll be back soon.

Gentleman
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 09:10:19 PM by Gainsworthy » Logged
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 09:14:38 PM »

I never know if I've reached the real end with a game like this. It reminded me of world of world of warcraft, in a good way if that's possible.

spoiler:
I read as far as the 'immersion' statement. The funny thing for me is I don't feel I became immersed in this game at an arbitrary point, that something just 'clicked' -- I became immersed when I figured out the game's controls, which took two go's at the game and realizing I needed to hold down the directional keys and not just press them.
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 09:25:50 PM »

Interesting concept. Feels a bit like a straw man for the games as art debate.

The spoiler action is utterly hilarious.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 12:43:31 AM »

Pretty buggy / badly signalled at the start (you have to hold down the right arrow key to progress if you are stuck at "graphics"). But after that I enjoyed it a lot.

pgil
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 05:46:07 AM »

Really cool concept. But the game crashed and froze at one point right when I got the gorilla hammer. The music kept playing, but no response from anything else. I like it enough to start again though.

Edit: Oh. I just finished. Now I get it  Beer!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 06:05:01 AM by pgil » Logged
SelfTitled
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 06:36:13 AM »

I got the hammer and got stuck, had no idea what to do next. I somehow feel as if I'm being made fun.

Tom Sennett
Level 3

Indie Game Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 07:30:44 AM »

Dude said "Hey! is that the end up there?" and the music changed, I kept going right for several minutes and nothing happened so I gave up.

Which is a shame, because I was enjoying myself up to that point. I think this game is funny.

Curseman
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 08:13:04 AM »

Wow, that was actually really impressive.

I think the claims it made were correct too.  That's a really interesting way to show it.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 08:42:07 AM by Curseman » Logged
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 08:32:55 AM »

I loved to see the actual pyramid.

Tom Sennett
Level 3

Indie Game Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 09:14:30 AM »

OK, I figured it out and completed it.

I was all Well, hello there! for most of it, and then I ran into the apparently serious "Artist Statement". Sad

Hey, thanks for writing two pages on what your game is about rather than letting me, I dunno, think about it myself.

WNF
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 09:14:44 AM »

Is this a comment on games like You Have To Burn The Rope? Because, guys, as much as I enjoyed the joke of it the level of analysis it got was even funnier. In a bad way. I'm glad someone's pointing it out.
David Pittman
Level 2

MAEK GAEM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 09:23:20 AM »

I enjoyed that. I was alternately amused by its concept and annoyed by its apparent pretension until the last artist statement made me realize that was the whole point. I actually enjoyed playing the game abstractly--I began to assume halfway through that there was an actual platform engine running underneath, and so began building a map in my head, filling in the world with my imagination. I think that's an interesting concept that this didn't explore as fully as it could have. But this had a different purpose, and succeeded on that account.

mirosurabu
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 09:35:54 AM »

Am I the only one to feel nothing after completing [?] it? I'm not in a mood to replay it. Instructions didn't mean much to me. It felt like a blind platformer and the text (conclusion) at the end didn't make much sense to me.
Davioware
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 09:49:30 AM »

Pretty interesting concept. I knew there was a platform engine running underneath somehow, instinctively... The guy at the pc is hilarious with his arm and head movements :D

Tom Sennett
Level 3

Indie Game Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 11:04:08 AM »

Miro, you failed to press "m" at the end, didn't you?

Protip: do it.

Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 01:10:37 PM »

amazing

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 04:40:51 PM »

I probably should have spent the time to find more than 2 of the artist statements.  Hilarious beginning, but it wasn't as funny when it tried to explain itself.  I dunno.  Something different, even for an art game, I guess.
mirosurabu
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 04:43:54 PM »

Miro, you failed to press "m" at the end, didn't you?

Protip: do it.

Ah, crap. :D Looking forward to replaying it tomorrow.
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 05:59:55 PM »

I was all Well, hello there! for most of it, and then I ran into the apparently serious "Artist Statement"
The artist statements both explain the subtext of the game and also make fun of artists statements explaining the subtext of games.

I really rather liked this. It's a massive dis, of course, but deserved...

Also, don't forget to press "G" when playing to get the awesome graphics upgrade.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic