Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:46:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesSo 52.45% of People Playing my Indie Game Have Pirated it…
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: So 52.45% of People Playing my Indie Game Have Pirated it…  (Read 2182 times)
Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: October 27, 2017, 03:38:24 PM »

Three weeks after release, I shared this statistic with a few online dev communities. The response and questions that followed surprised me more than the piracy itself. So I wrote an article with full details of how I got the number, and what I make of it. of it.

Also I just downloaded one of the pirated copies of my game. They asked me to remove my ad-blocker to keep their site running. Oh the sweet irony  Cheesy

And wow - they sure put extra effort these days...

(FYI the red box is my own, but they changed the game header)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 03:00:51 PM by Koobazaur » Logged
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 08:15:04 PM »

The link to your article is busted. I was able to figure it out though.

The other game with the gameplay anti-piracy technique you mentioned but forgot I think might be serious sam. They had some enemy that would be in your face all the time if it detected piracy.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 09:09:40 PM »

You didn't block the piracy because you didn't want them to have a bad experience?

http://www.greenheartgames.com/2013/04/29/what-happens-when-pirates-play-a-game-development-simulator-and-then-go-bankrupt-because-of-piracy/

Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 03:01:58 PM »

Thanks for the heads up, fixed the link! And saw that earlier quantumpotato - a big lol  Cheesy
ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 11:19:11 AM »

Yeah, that's normal. My game had a semi-finished beta on pirate sites. We had half a mind just to warn pirates about it, but we didn't care enough Durr...?

oliviakane1997
Level 0

don't be shy cause you only have one life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 06:37:30 PM »

that sounds interesting! welcome  Shrug Toast Right Toast Left

Cheers!

Olie
SchriefFighter
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 01:24:31 PM »

I'm sorry that happened to you man!
zizulot
Level 0

ZIZ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 06:23:45 AM »

Make it unplayable on other sites , like COD used to have shoot with chickes or something
eaglegamma
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 04:54:21 AM »

I'm a game developer and I think piracy can be a decent thing...
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 04:25:55 PM »

Yeah it's an unfortunate reality of computers that copying is easier than over.
Servers + aggregate service (eg a WoW server) can justify charging users but for no-online content it's tricky.

Many game developers have been public about pirating games when they were growing up.. it seems to be part of internet culture.

ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 03:18:29 AM »

It could have been worse. We could have been musicians Grin

pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 12:44:17 PM »

Good well balanced text.

The red piracy text looks a bit hostile. Would not be surprised if it turns away more than what it converts to buyers.

I first read about games deliberately ruining games for pirates in Chris Crawford on Game Design. He was so smug about a game he made ca 1990 that would allow pirates to play, no indication that they were detected, just silently crash close to the end (of a long strategy war game). Such a stupid idea to come from an intelligent person. Imagine those that ran into that and had the game crash right at the end. How many would buy that game or his next game, compared to if he had tried to be friendly or at least show them a popup explaining instead of simulating a buggy game?
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 01:13:23 PM »

I think board game designer is the equivalent.. and tigs added board game forum recently O_O

pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 01:36:49 PM »

I think board game designer is the equivalent.. and tigs added board game forum recently O_O

I fail to see the connection between piracy and board game designers? Board games are in general not hit hard at all by piracy.

One thing they have in common though is that even if sales of all types of games are doing great (low prices or not, the total amount of money is increasing) the number of people trying to make a living from making games seem to be increasing much faster? I fail to understand how even 0 % piracy would be the answer to that situation. It seems rather hopeless in the long run (as for musicians) other than for hobby gamedev and niche markets.
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 07:21:18 AM »

Oh, I was making a joke about the likelihood of succeeding at all (musicians, board game designers)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic