Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:03:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)What IDE and Language should we use for our MMORPG
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What IDE and Language should we use for our MMORPG  (Read 810 times)
Pandaknight0119
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2017, 05:16:41 PM »

We decided to make a open-world overhead 2.5D MMORPG game. We plan on spending YEARS building this game full-time and I am the only developer for it.

I love to program in Java(wouldn't mind building the server in this), LUA, Actionscript-3(would love to build the client in this but seems like not an option), and VB.
I've dabbled in Python, JS, and Ruby.

My favorite is AS3 and Java but I believe it would serve me behind well and give me the best options to learn C#.

I wouldn't like to reinvent the wheel with creating my own GUI components/controls from scratch (such as charts) and spending so much time just creating the GUI and even more just implementing it into the windowed application and way more constantly running the app to get the component into the right place when I could be working on the game. With that said, I require a IDE with a visual GUI designing environment for my windowed application. We considered flash because of how much of a breeze the workflow would be, but with the fact that it's basically obsolete and horribly easy to hack and exploit, it's just not going to happen. We then considered Adobe AIR with Flash Pro CS5.5 because the AIR Roadmap from Adobe seems promising, but Flash Pro's components to readily choose from leave me seriously pondering if there is something better out there. Also, AIR compiles a .exe and a easily hackable .swf. I wouldn't mind building my own program to decompress the swf and obfuscate all the strings into SHA-256 hashes mixed with illegal string names, destroying the structure of the source code by squishing it all together into a single giant block of text and brackets and such to maximize confusion, re-compressing it, and then embedding it if it meant I'd have the workflow I need.

I wouldn't mind getting familiar with C# because of how powerful it is, it's significantly more secure than Adobe's flash player and air. Its syntax makes me comfortable enough because of how much it looks like Java and it doesn't seem to be too low-level to the point it would interfere with workflow like C++. This game isn't going to be TERRIBLY complex so I don't think C# would be a drawback as long as I had a IDE with visual GUI design in it and a way to add animated sprites.

I am aware of Unity and plan on checking that out, but since I've looked around in it before years back I remember it looking way too complex for what we are doing, and it seems aimed towards 3D more than 2D

Is there any recommendations I could get for a language(I am thinking Java or C# if we couldn't do AS3)? I would really prefer a language over a scripting one for security.

Also would like a point in the right direction for an IDE with specifications I talked about above. I would like to stay away from game engines and such because of licenses and the money cost.

I've been thinking about C# with visual studio and just implementing my own way to handle animations of sprites, backgrounds, and worlds even though I don't know if this would even be better.

I've heard of XNA but I don't know how to feel about the fact that it's been dropped by Microsoft.

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 11:06:42 PM »

So with C# pretty much the best IDE option you have is indeed Visual Studio, however as you correctly mentioned it doesn't have game specific sprite tools or something like that.
However, if XNA seemed interesting to you I recommend you check out MonoGame, it is an open source implementation of the XNA library that's actively being maintained, with a helpful community and lots of freely available tools and libraries.
zfshmn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 01:06:43 AM »

I'd recommend you think seriously about your plan of action in general, to be honest. An MMORPG is a monstrously complex project - you're designing a client-server architecture from scratch with incredibly aggressive demands in terms of latency, etc. and a lot of attack surface that you need to defend vigorously about exploits. You're probably implementing a custom communications protocol to handle interactions between client and server, which you need to be able to defend against interference. You need to have a really rock-solid database system in place for storing the data associated with user accounts and synchronizing that with a client - and you don't get an error margin, because your players will expect their characters (and all their acquired shinies) to be there, and that's what you need to facilitate.

Moreover: you're doing this on your own, and (I would wager) alongside a day job or a contracting business that pays the bill.

Even a very, very basic MMORPG is an insanely complex system. You're not going to do this "simple." I don't want to sound like I'm discouraging you, but I want you to understand that this is a very, very substantial engineering task you're setting for yourself. If you wanna do that: great, more power to you, but do it with eyes open.

Using an off-the-shelf engine provides you with a lot of out-of-the-box functionality - rendering, component-object model, a basic network stack, etc. - and makes the task on your plate just "unreasonable" as opposed to more or less impossible. If you're ever in a position for Unity or Unreal or whoever's royalty demands to matter: congratulations, you have an MMORPG ready to launch and reasonably expect it to make some money. This is what's known as a good problem to have.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 08:51:38 AM »

Everything zfshmn says is true, so if you haven't you might want to check out ThinMatrix who used to work on an MMORPG from scratch in Java mostly by himself (generally great channel with lots of tutorials for stuff like OpenGL too) to get an idea of what it entails.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic