Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 01:29:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessGamejolt.com, is it worth my time?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Gamejolt.com, is it worth my time?  (Read 1490 times)
SuperRetroMaker
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 30, 2017, 09:52:21 AM »

I started a devlog on Gamejolt.com and it got basically zero views.  I then posted an introduction in their "introductions" forum with a link to my devlog, and my post got deleted.  Apparently you are not allowed to link/advertise your game/devlog on their forums, they want *you* to drive traffic to *them* from external sites.  I'm planning to release on Steam and Itch.io, and at this point I'm wondering if there is any value at all to being on Gamejolt.com?

Super Retro Maker Like Mario Maker, but for all the other NES classics!
Twitter:@SuperRetroMaker
TIGForums: Devlog
SEEDY
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 09:48:01 AM »

I have seen no value or visitors to my site or game from GameJolt

LINX BATTLE ARENA - Fast Paced third Person Shooter in EA On Steam right now!
clemmons_io
Level 0

Games, Growth, & Glory!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 07:42:52 PM »

I can't speak for the value of GameJolt specifically, but in general, it would be wise to have your game on as many distribution channels as possible (like you are with itch.io and Gamejolt).

You do have a valid concern, which is that the bulk game marketing efforts result in sending external traffic to a 3rd-party site. If you are going to do this, I'd advise that you use a link retargeting service like Rebrandly to keep track of link clicks and to embed your Facebook ads pixel to the link itself.

Ideally, you should see about selling your game directly off your website, for a few reasons, mainly control and analytics. PatchKit has a distribution network to handle the content (game downloads and patches, hence the name). You'd then need to find a payment processor.

Read my blog here: https://clemmons.io
zizulot
Level 0

ZIZ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 08:48:30 PM »

I dont know, Im using only GameJolt for now, I released few simple games, and they got some attention , from a crowd not GameJolt itself,
Nazgum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 03:24:29 PM »

Marketing can be a slow, hard road.  But with small wins from each effort, over time that can lead to a good sized following for your game.

I think a devlog is a really good idea, especially if you have some interesting points to make, but readers need to find it once you create it.  It is definitely not a "Write it and they will come" type situation.  Promote your articles on twitter, reddit and elsewhere.  Give your users subscribe options, like twitter or mailchimp, so they can follow you and hear about new posts.  Over time you will start to get readers, and they may also start sharing your articles, but it may be a slow process at the beginning.

I agree with clemmons_io that if you want to do this, an official website for your game is a much better option than gamejolt.  It will provide more long term value to you.  Your website should be the home of your game, and having that info stay with it, rather than spread out across multiple distributions like gamejolt, is a better route.  You can still link or even republish your devlog posts on gamejolt/itch/etc.  but aim to drive the traffic to your official site.

And if you need a website for your indie game check out ManaKeep, which includes a blog feature, and can be a great home for your official website.  Its built by me, and made specifically for indie game websites, and I would be happy to answer any questions on it =)

A Bit Awake - 2P indie studio from Toronto, Canada, working on Helms of Fury!
zizulot
Level 0

ZIZ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 05:43:03 AM »

Update, Without any advertising, my Devlog got some attention, its only title logo there, but still people looking
SuperRetroMaker
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 11:08:06 AM »

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll make my game available on GameJolt if it's not too much hassle, but I'll focus on marketing my website instead. 

Super Retro Maker Like Mario Maker, but for all the other NES classics!
Twitter:@SuperRetroMaker
TIGForums: Devlog
flatingo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 05:49:24 AM »

This is just a platform for publishing games. To attract people for your game, you need advertising. Steam is also a playground. It's just a playground and it will not just advertise your game. I'm talking about this in my video.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic