Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:59:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)How relevant is RPGmaker for actual development?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How relevant is RPGmaker for actual development?  (Read 1192 times)
Drof
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 02, 2017, 09:22:48 PM »

Hey I just finished a really long-term project (Alchemy Punch) and am looking for something to wind down with. Completely for fun, I sorta want to make a classic RPGmaker explorathon thing like Yume Nikki, Knytt, etc.

RPGmaker jumps to mind, but there might be things I want to change here and there. I'm fluent in Gamemaker and I'm wondering if it'd just be easier to use that? Does anyone have any experience using both?

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 09:34:11 AM »

RPG Maker is pretty capable as far as standard RPG development goes. If you are looking to make something other than a JRPG-style title, look elsewhere. But if putting together a JRPG is your aim, than RPG Maker has you covered. The engine has enough flexibility to allow you to push it in some interesting directions. But it isn't designed for flexibility, so you aren't going to be re-tooling it for making a platformer or an action game. It's a blank slate in terms of content, but not in terms of structure.

I would also strongly advise trying the latest version of RPG Maker, RPG Maker MV. RPG Maker VX Ace was the previous version. It is decently capable, but it lacks certain features that just about anyone would want from a modern game engine. RPG Maker MV has all of the target platform options you would normally want, with exporting to Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, iOS, Android, and even HTML5/JavaScript/Web.

Customization for MV is done through the use of JavaScript. They switched over to using javascript as the core scripting language, and it seems to work fairly well. Be prepared to pick up some javascript if you're looking for more extensive customization. MV does have a pretty nice plug-in system, so it is easy to create your own plugins or use other people's created plug-ins.

If your aim is to make a JRPG specifically, I would recommend RPG Maker over Gamemaker. It is much more focused, with all of the structures and options you would need ready to go right out of the gate. It even has baked-in default graphics, so you can jump right to content creation from the word go. In Gamemaker you would have to spend considerably more time constructing RPG-specific tools and systems. I also recommend acquiring RPG Maker from Steam, as it is fairly common for it to go on sale there. I acquired a copy of RPG Maker MV for less than $25 on sale.
Drof
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 04:47:06 AM »

Yeah OK cool thanks! I doubt I'd make anything actually resembling a JRPG, more just a top down world to explore in a freeform manner. So like a JRPG without combat I suppose.

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 04:14:50 AM »

If you are aiming for something so freeform, either of the engines should be more than enough, and, if you are fluent with GameMaker, why bother changing?

Yeah.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic