Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411415 Posts in 69361 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 03:51:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNETHER CHEF: Coming of the White Tiger
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: NETHER CHEF: Coming of the White Tiger  (Read 6835 times)
Sundrop
Level 1

Grandma cooks best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2018, 02:30:22 AM »

Hey everybody! It's been a while!

I had initially thought of pushing out a demo by June but that didn't happen because:
a) I haven't fully figured out the story yet, and where in it the demo would be set
b) I'm still struggling with what the gameplay needs to be like

So in the end I decided to go all in and ship a proper demo by the end of February 2019. It might sound foolish, but I'd rather that the time to put out something people can truly experience and appreciate rather than rush it for some arbitrary deadline.

As for the production side of things, I'm still on my own. The programming has been a hell of a challenge with me chipping away at it bit by bit. I think I'm getting better at it though, thanks to the infinite help of the internet community! I haven't been as much progress with the art as I'd like, and that's largely due to the story not settling yet. It's slowly coming together though, and I hope to be able to share it with you in some shape and form, or at least some of my inspirations!

Anyhoo, that's all I'm putting in this post for now! Cya'll in a jiffy jiff jiff!  Screamy
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 03:02:41 PM by Sundrop » Logged

Sundrop
Level 1

Grandma cooks best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2018, 11:55:05 AM »

Hey guys! Been having a good few days jumping between various tasks for the game! I also managed to throw out my back trying to exercise! I still found myself prodding away at the game even when I had to work lying down with my chin on the ground so I must really like what I do hahaha!

Anyway, quite a bit of animation and drawing going on for the past couple of days!

Oh and I finally managed to get some of Unity's UI stuff to do as it's told!

I'm not sure if it'll help anyone but here's a bit about how I'm handling button selections in Unity:

Code:
using UnityEngine.EventSystems;

public class ButtonScript : MonoBehaviour, ISelectHandler, IDeselectHandler {

public void OnSelect (BaseEventData eventData) {
        // Whatever you want the button to do when it's selected!
    }

public void OnDeselect (BaseEventData eventData) {
        // Whatever you want the button to do when it's DEselected!
    }

}

The first script just shows how I manage my button transitions and animations. Unity's built-in transitions do this weird thing where they sometimes forget to update when selected.

Code:
using UnityEngine.EventSystems;

public class ButtonScript : MonoBehaviour {

void OnEnable () {
        if (EventSystem.current.currentSelectedGameObject != this.gameObject) {
                EventSystem.current.SetSelectedGameObject (this.gameObject);
        }
    }

}

This second one basically sets any button that's holding it as the current selected game object for the current event system. This solves a huge headache where Unity's event system kept confusing which buttons to prioritise, sometimes prioritising the last selected option (say button 4) when I should have done it with the first.

Anyway, that's most of what I have to share today! Thank you for reading!  Gomez

Mloren
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2018, 06:47:27 PM »

I really like the theme and art for this game.
Have you worked out what the gameplay will be?
I like the gif where he summons the giant bowl, is that going to lead to some sort of cooking game or is it just as a platform?

QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2018, 07:48:54 PM »

Somehow I've missed this devlog, the game looks awesome. I would second the interest in more detail on the gameplay.
Sundrop
Level 1

Grandma cooks best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2018, 02:31:56 PM »

I really like the theme and art for this game.
Have you worked out what the gameplay will be?
I like the gif where he summons the giant bowl, is that going to lead to some sort of cooking game or is it just as a platform?

Thank you! I am really glad you like those things because that's where I think a lot of the game's strengths are going to lie!
Honestly, all I have right now are ideas that haven't been tested yet. That being said, I have a strong feeling the game is moving towards being an adventure game type thing with lots of exploring.
Oh, that was an idea I was really excited about when I began development on the game haha! It was one of those 'wouldn't it be cool' ideas, but I'm taking my time to see if it fits in with the style of the game.

Somehow I've missed this devlog, the game looks awesome. I would second the interest in more detail on the gameplay.

Thank you QOG, that's very nice of you to say!  Smiley On the gameplay, like I shared with Mloren; I'm still feeling things out going forward. You'll be sure to see updates on that as soon as I work something out!

Thank you again for the nice words and interest! If you're interested in more frequent updates, you can tune in on Twitter! Onward!  Tiger
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 02:49:02 PM by Sundrop » Logged

Sundrop
Level 1

Grandma cooks best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2018, 03:49:08 AM »

Messed around with some cooking ideas! Nothing's set in stone, but I thought I'd share something possibly gameplay related  Hand JoystickShocked

Something I've noticed

My code nowadays seems to go like this:

Code:
void Update () {
    if (shouldCut && !cutting) {
        StartCoroutine ("Cut");
    }
}

I use quite a few coroutines in my scripts, not that it's ever been a problem; flag the begininging and end of every coroutine while watching for ways it might end prematurely. It's just a habit I've noticed in my programming and thought I'd share just in case this happened to be a no-no and someone here could drag me back to safety.

Till next time! Drink more water kids!  Tiger

vikepic
Level 0

Rendering dreams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2018, 03:54:40 AM »

Cool game! Love the artstyle Smiley

Also:

YOUR HOMETOWN HAS A CAT STATUE?

I love it  Who, Me? Who, Me? Who, Me?

Sundrop
Level 1

Grandma cooks best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2018, 04:55:42 AM »

I can't believe you Googled Kuching hahaha! Yea, we've got quite a few cat statues here (might have something to do with Kuching literally meaning cat)!

Btw I love Gravity Girl! Did you make the music for that?

Teriyaki
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2018, 10:18:37 AM »

This looks really good!

The world and the background are so cool!
Sundrop
Level 1

Grandma cooks best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2018, 04:30:01 PM »

This looks really good!

The world and the background are so cool!

Thank you for the kind words! I can't wait to show you more!  Gomez

vikepic
Level 0

Rendering dreams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2018, 01:13:34 AM »

I can't believe you Googled Kuching hahaha! Yea, we've got quite a few cat statues here (might have something to do with Kuching literally meaning cat)!

Btw I love Gravity Girl! Did you make the music for that?

Thank you SO much!

I actually teamed up with a very talented musician that did the music for the team Smiley Right now i can't remember his name, but i'll post it when i find it!

Btw its so cool that you live in a cat-city, you should make a game about that!!!!oh wait you are already doing that lol

EDIT: found the musician! https://soundcloud.com/rorygiven/galactic-girl-orbit

Sundrop
Level 1

Grandma cooks best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2018, 10:28:13 PM »

Oh sorry for the late reply, and thanks for looking that up!  Coffee

Is it? Haha we do have loads of stray cats (and dogs) in this city! One of them actually made his way into our home a few days ago and is terrorising my keyboard as I type this  WTF

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic