Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1344900 Posts in 61678 Topics- by 53241 Members - Latest Member: RoKo0

August 14, 2018, 11:34:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEvade - Local arena shooter
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Evade - Local arena shooter  (Read 1090 times)
Jon88
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2017, 07:22:44 AM »

Howdy!

I am working on a small game called Evade. It is a local multiplayer, sort of, arcade game. Simply shoot the other players off the map and you win. We want the maps to be fun and chaotic, full of traps. We are not going for power ups, though we did try. We want it to be more skill based but still fun.

We are just a two man team working on this between our full time jobs and doing it for the love of games and just possibly become filthy, stinking rich. I'll try to update and maintain this thread and hopefully hear some positive or constructive things from you guys. So yeah again, any feedback is welcome.

Thanks for reading
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 02:22:22 AM by Jon88 » Logged
Jon88
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 05:52:27 AM »

Traps, Obstacles and Dangers

A big part of our game are the traps and obstacles. So obviously one of the first things to be made was the pitfall. These bad buys are classics. Going strong since almost the start of video games.

Adding Bombs. So these little terrors blow up when you touch them but they also have a proximity element. They flash red when you are in the area.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 01:17:50 AM by Jon88 » Logged
Jon88
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 01:49:41 AM »

Marketing

So I would describe myself as many things before I describe myself as a marketing guru but this is part and parcel of indie development so the sooner you get onto it, the better.

First things first. Social media

https://twitter.com/evadevg

Game Logo

Company Logo
bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 01:15:58 AM »

mmmm.... it look interesting  Grin
What do you mean by 'shoot off the map' ?
Can you bump into players ? or Does the shoot move the player back ?

Jon88
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 01:20:31 AM »

Thanks Bombjack. You can bump into the other players and it does push them but not really in a significant way. The shooting pushes them back a lot further. Plus the balls are quite small so it is easy to avoid.
Jon88
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 04:33:05 AM »

Adding flair and flash.
To increase the polish and cool factor let's talk VFX. I have added particles to our characters. This was a toss up between a ribbon and spots. Went for the spot emitter particle to sell it.

Adding more particles. It's all about this sizzle right?

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 02:24:05 AM by Jon88 » Logged
Jon88
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 02:28:24 AM »

The best part about playing couch games is the smack talk. Or is that just me. We wanted to make the previous winner obvious. That way everyone else knows who to target. To try and achieve this we thought we should turn that player gold.

Artsicle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 11:00:04 AM »

The best part about playing couch games is the smack talk. Or is that just me. We wanted to make the previous winner obvious. That way everyone else knows who to target. To try and achieve this we thought we should turn that player gold.

In my opinion the best part about playing couch games is just having fun, I've never gloated or done anything like that while playing a couch game with friends.
Also, I have a suggestion. The colors could contrast each other more in this to the background, such as the bomb explosions being yellow and orange.

i'm bad at things
Jon88
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 02:36:17 AM »

Arenas

So these are the battle stages we are thinking maybe 8 of them in all. As our game will not be focused on power ups we want each level to feel fun and original. So you get a different experience depending on which you pick.

The Trianlge map. Fun fact. It's not actually a triangle.

Blue stage. AKA split. So this is a more advanced stage with platforms that could be shields or could be used to switch sides.

New level incoming. Ths one is inspired by the legendary rotating disco floor. Time to get groovy.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 02:23:31 AM by Jon88 » Logged
nathy after dark
Level 5

Bene Gesserit Witch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 09:46:19 AM »

I'm down for this! Following.

Jon88
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 09:50:33 AM »

I'm down for this! Following.

Amazing. Thanks!
Jon88
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 09:02:44 AM »

CPU

3 friends to play a game with might not always be around. CPU AI on the other hand is always around for a quick match.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 02:12:43 AM by Jon88 » Logged
AncientGamesDS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 03:50:15 AM »

If you've been rejected the next best thing is trying to go through a publisher who has better connections with the platforms you're trying to release on. Or you could release on other platforms and hope that success there paves the way into console. Good luck, it looks really fun and I love the art style.

Jon88
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 04:55:43 AM »

Thanks for the advice. It's a tricky one because the kind of game it is is quite a small niche (local multiplayer) game. It is never going to make much money so most publishers wont be interested. The problem again with steam and this kind of game is most people dont play PC games like this. It's a tricky one.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic