Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:02:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignAnyone else using HacknPlan as a project tool?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Anyone else using HacknPlan as a project tool?  (Read 1662 times)
PetSkull
Level 2

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2017, 01:35:56 AM »

Hi,
I'm in the process of designing af new game - My biggest one yet, and stumbled across HacknPlan by coincidence. I find it extremely useful helping me, plot down all the tasks involved in creating my game. Are you people using it, or do you use other project tools?

I don't use the Game Design Model much, find it too confusing, but I use the Kanban board daily, updating tasks, adding subtasks, logging time used. It gives me a good overview on what I'm doing and what I'm missing.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 05:40:45 AM »

I use it, but mostly as a way to keep lists. Ignore deadlines and such. And some things I just keep in textfiles or my head because they need to happen through experimentation rather than planning or they'll be done quickly enough that it would be unnecessary to write them down.

PetSkull
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 05:50:17 AM »

I dont use the deadlines either. As an indie doing this in my sparse sparetime I would never be able to hold a deadline anyway. But I like the overview the tool gives me. And its refreshing to see a progress on my project through the Metrics.

zizulot
Level 0

ZIZ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 07:14:19 AM »

First time heard about it honestly  Shocked , will try it
Valar05
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 12:57:32 PM »

I actually picked it up for my newest project, been using it just over two weeks.  I've never tracked time on a hobby project before, but since the options were there just staring at me I decided to use them too.  Setting deadlines and thinking about how much time a given thing will take really helps me prioritize my work - I've never felt so productive on a hobby project before.  It's also cool to look back at the first milestone and see how much time I spent, and how much I've accomplished.

I really like the way its interface is set up too- it's like a trello board that's already customized for me.  Having things separated into milestones helps me a lot too, as it lets me easily drag stuff to "Completed", with the knowledge that the stack will eventually stop cluttering up my screen.

I haven't done much with the design model very much, but I do kind of like that I can tag individual tasks with a kind of overall "Design Element".  It's not something that's actually been useful yet, but an OCD part of my brain likes being able to group related tasks like that.  I could see it being too much overhead for some people, but I'm really like it so far myself.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic