Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:55:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Idea first, engine second
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Idea first, engine second  (Read 775 times)
d0ds
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2017, 01:06:18 PM »

First of all, I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this type of question.

I realize there is a thread on engines already (though a bit outdated... for instance, Torque3D is now under the MIT license), but haven't found much in the way of the specifics to my question. Basically, I'm interested in working on something graphically similar to Pillars of Eternity (much smaller in scope, though), but have read mixed things on what the devs' experience was with Unity. So with that idea in mind, I would like to at least narrow down the search space for frameworks and engines:

Besides Unity, are there any other engines/frameworks you'd recommend for this type of look (3d mixed with 2d - might even consider going full 3d like Diablo 3 if this turns out to be too problematic, though)?
shay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 12:13:15 PM »

If you're looking to recreate the Pillars of Eternity look and feel, I would go with the engine that started it all: the Infinity engine. I'm not sure the Infinity engine (or its successor, the Aurora engine) are publicly available. However, here's an open source implementation of them: http://www.gemrb.org/wiki/doku.php?id=start

With that in mind, I think you should first consider what you want to do, and than choose the engine. If it's a 3d game, you're better off with a 3d engine like Unity, Unreal or Lumberyard. If it's a 2d game - you might want to focus on a 2d engine.

As with everything else - proper planning at the start, will save you a lot of headache later.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic