Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:32:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignMulti-game economy and shared currency
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Multi-game economy and shared currency  (Read 744 times)
patico
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2017, 02:51:25 AM »

Hi there,
I'm wondering if, anyone met a games with ability to spent money/points/... earned in another games?
For example, when I complete some level in game "A" and get some ammount of in-game-currency, then I run a game "B" and spent these earned money to buy something there.

Could it be interesting for someone, to have such kind of game economy?
iMaple
Level 0

might ship a game later idk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 08:46:24 AM »

If I remember correctly, World of Tanks shared its premium currency with World of Warplanes. They tried the same with World of Warships, but I think they decided against it as it was easier to "earn" currency in one game than in the other.
TitoOliveira
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 05:59:11 PM »

I guess the real challenge, and probably the reason not a lot of people did that, is that games are so complicated to make that you're only ever thinking about the one game in your hands right now. Having a shared economy demands that you develop, or at least design, two games in parallel. I mean, its doable, but feels like a gimmicky concept.

With no much thought on it, what i feel like, is that when you say this out loud, "an economy that expands beyond two or more games", it sounds pretty cool. But in practice what does it do for the player to have that opportunity? How do you shape the player experience of one game, if you want the economy to expand to another one? How will players respond to that?
Those are tricky questions to answer.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic