Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:10:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)What makes a good game artist portfolio?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What makes a good game artist portfolio?  (Read 1616 times)
EasterlyArt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: November 17, 2017, 03:28:46 PM »

I am only a month away from wrapping up on a degree, and have been taking a portfolio class. This class is more geared towards fluffy "how to make a portfolio together" for marketing firms and design firms. That being said, the professor has little to no idea what needs to go into a portfolio for a game artist.

So what I like to ask everyone on here, what goes into a good artist portfolio that is trying to get into making games?

Understandably there are many avenues for artists, and although I am more focused on 2D, any knowledge you're willing to provide would be much appreciated. Not only that, examples would be wonderful to look at, especially if you have your own portfolio to share. I should also say I am familiar with the point that making games is a great way to build a portfolio, but that may be a bit too general of a point that doesn't offer up much direction (this post relates to another thread I started a little while ago).

So not only what to put in a portfolio, but how to package it whether print, digital, website, etc.

Be original, be creative, be fresh, be righteous, be yourself and let no one stop you!

EasterlyArt Facebook
EasterlyArt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 04:35:57 PM »

I should mention that when I say 2D, I also mean 2D animation.

Be original, be creative, be fresh, be righteous, be yourself and let no one stop you!

EasterlyArt Facebook
-Ross
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 10:48:13 AM »

There aren't a lot of different uses for 2D artists in the game industry these days, since only little indie teams make 2D games any more. In my experience ther are: Concept artists, UI artists, and occasionally Marketing artists. For concept art, there's much more demand for environment concept artists than character concept artists, sometimes they are a separate job.

If you want to do UI art, then have some nice UI art to show. I haven't done it myself, but I get the impression UI art tends to bleed into UI/UX design, so you may want to look into that stuff too, maybe have some interactive web mockups.

I've only seen a few, high-end jobs for marketing artists, and they're the same as illustrators as far as I know, so do some cover art style illustrations for your portfolio. Take a look at League of Legends splash art, etc.

Concept art is pretty broad. You'll want a couple character designs, definitely with some turnarounds (front, back, side views), some different environment concepts, some props (weapons, and close up environmental details, etc.), and possibly a vehicle or two. You could focus on just environments if you like, otherwise don't just focus on characters—everyone want's to do them, but they're only a small percentage of a game's content.

Most concept art these days seems to be either very "realistic", photobash/3D render stuff, or painted, sort of cartoony, Warcraft/Starcraft style stuff (or both)  . . . and possibly a flatter, anime-influenced variant of the second category has gotten more populare lately. Don't let any personal stylistic ideas stray too far from these. Game studios don't pay you for personal work, and they won't want weird artsy ideas getting in the way of their art direction. Unless you are the best of the best of course. Smiley

The big thing is, people looking at your portfolio will assume (correctly) that you are incapable of doing anything that you haven't shown.

EasterlyArt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 08:33:11 PM »

Very insightful Ross.

I can certainly agree that a lot of what I see when it comes to concept art for AAA companies, to generalize, is one of three things: 1) Realistic renderings 2) Disney/over exaggerated cartoon look or 3) Anime Anime Anime. It's honestly what makes sites like art station kind of boring to look at, which may be a conflict of interest with what say Blizzard or even Wizards of the Coast may want. Originality is exciting, and maybe that is why I personally gravitate towards indies more than major titles unless they're really breaking the mold.

Nonetheless, the breakdown of concept art is much appreciated. I've been needing to add more character designs, environments, vehicles, etc to my portfolio and overall body work illustratively. Something I plan to make the most of at the end of the year.

There aren't a lot of different uses for 2D artists in the game industry these days, since only little indie teams make 2D games any more.

Well, lets build on this then as many indie teams have grown over time. I would assume that there are some teams that have grown in size over time and have become more well established. Additionally, what kind of things AA companies may be looking for. Actually, for adding to this discussion, has anyone tried to apply to an indie team that has put out a hit game? What was the process like?

EasterlyArt Facebook
EasterlyArt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 06:42:58 PM »

Also, just because I may be looking for how to better apply my skills in 2D doesn't mean this thread can't touch base on 3D.

EasterlyArt Facebook
truewarrior
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 11:39:16 PM »

I just add a bit of suggestion. Besides your wonderful artwork of game design, you could add more information about the game: no. of users, active users, ranking, etc. That could increase your credit. 

Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll _ Shigeru Miyamoto
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 12:56:11 AM »

I haven't watched this video yet so I don't know if it's any good, but YT has been suggesting this to me:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic