Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 06:38:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallClassics Week at TIGSource?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Author Topic: Classics Week at TIGSource?  (Read 36559 times)
Ted
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: June 02, 2009, 09:05:34 PM »

Mantra, a Mac freeware game by the Syzygy Cult released in the mid-90's.  It was a fun Zelda-style game with really good music.

ZeHa
Level 0

Dr. Wuro Industries

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2009, 09:55:44 AM »

I don't know if it's old enough to be considered a classic, but I wanted to submit it here anyway, so if you're interested in writing about the game, but it's too new, you can of course exclude it from the Classic Week and post it as a normal review Wink

Gloomy Nights and Living Dead
The game was created by myself, together with my then girlfriend, in 2004, rewritten in 2005 and now finally updated, technically, to look good on modern TFTs (pixels won't get smudgy, they will be crystal-clear, even on widescreen). It contains 100 levels, hidden bonuses, interlude sequences, two-player mode, and everything else someone can except from a true arcade game  Hand Metal LeftPandaHand Metal Right
URL: http://www.gloomy-nights.de

Of course I won't write a review about it, I'll leave that to someone else Grin

Here's a screenshot, hope you enjoy:

Paco for Android http://paco.drwuro.com
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: June 03, 2009, 11:50:50 AM »

hi zeha Smiley

gloomy nights and living dead is pretty good.
had tested it until level 6 so far.
(also checked the 2 player mode and played both players at the same time Wink

but i think there is missing something.
maybe some kind of collectable stuff like fresh fruits (beside the ammo and energy) would be cool. when there are 100 fruits collected (or coins... or whatever) you get an extra life for example.
i think upgrades (like in bomberman) would also be good for the  gameplay.

moreover:
it would be cool zeha if you would introduce yourself here in the introduction thread

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
ZeHa
Level 0

Dr. Wuro Industries

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: June 03, 2009, 12:16:45 PM »

Well, I won't change the game's innards anymore, I just changed the way it handles the low resolution (because I absolutely can't stand how they look like on modern screens), but maybe someday there will be a part 2 or something Wink

Also thanks for the introduction link, I'll definitely post there, but I think I'll do that tomorrow, as I'm working on a game right now Wink

EDIT: yeah, I also often played both players at the same time, works great in the first levels which are pretty symmetric Wink

BTW, the game is in a way a tribute to Wizard of Wor... just a small additional note
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 12:20:04 PM by ZeHa » Logged

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: June 03, 2009, 01:00:53 PM »

Well, I won't change the game's innards anymore, I just changed the way it handles the low resolution (because I absolutely can't stand how they look like on modern screens), but maybe someday there will be a part 2 or something Wink

Also thanks for the introduction link, I'll definitely post there, but I think I'll do that tomorrow, as I'm working on a game right now Wink

EDIT: yeah, I also often played both players at the same time, works great in the first levels which are pretty symmetric Wink

BTW, the game is in a way a tribute to Wizard of Wor... just a small additional note

good to hear that you are thinking about a sequel.

well, i noticed the similarities to wizard of wor... of course Wink

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
bigpants
Level 1

hi there, i'm happy mister bigpants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: June 03, 2009, 01:01:48 PM »

Dare I suggest: CrazyGame (also known as TKKN)
Japanese. Free. 2006 or earlier (possibly 1999). Extremely simple.
One of the best action/arcade games I've ever played.
Depsite the fact it has only 1 level,
I've been playing it on and off for 3 years.
A definite lost classic.

Keep dodging a bunch of bullets that shoot directly at you.
There are constant close calls, which is what makes the game so great.
You'll be lucky to last 1 minute.

Perfect description and download here:
http://www.psychonoble.com/archives/reviews/8.html

This guy made it 77 seconds. Impossible.

Twitter   B-Game   Demake  
one of us wears pants
Duckmeister
Level 0

Crescent Fresh

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 03, 2009, 02:43:33 PM »

Okay, here's the review I've written (my first!) for the first of those six games (THAT YOU MUST PLAY).

Ore No Ryomi 2

Ore No Ryomi 2 is a cooking/restaurant simulator, made in GameMaker by Mr. Chubigans (Sandbox of God, ShellBlast), that places you in the role of an entrepreneur chef who opens his new restaurant, getting upgrades and customers along the way.  The game is based upon the fantastically successful Ore No Ryomi cooking game series in Japan.  Depending on the time of day (and advertising), you will get customers who order various foods on your menu, and as they wait in line, you can take their orders and are placed in a fast-paced minigame which resembles cooking that food.  For instance, an order of beer involves you filling the glass to order (half-full, overflowing), or an order of fries involves you dipping the fries in the deep-fryer for the perfect amount of time.

Based on how well you do the minigames, you get money for every order that is completed.  Using that money to advertise (get more customers), buy foods (add more items on the menu), add items (like televisions which increase customer patience), or even game-changers like a delivery system which completely changes your business model, and provides a great risk vs. reward system.

A “round” in the game takes place over the course of the day, and during that day you have to regularly run the garbage disposal, wash dishes, put out kitchen fires, and prevent robberies.  Each of these minigames distract you from your goal of getting food to your customers, and provides a great “beat the clock” element to an already intense game.  If you decide to skip these minigames, you are penalized, both monetarily (getting robbed), and other ways, decreasing the efficiency of your kitchen even more.  Plus, if you skip enough of these, your Health Rating goes down, and the Health Inspector fines you heavily.

The game is really polished, and you can tell the amount of work that was put into the game.  If you take the time to do something, like the read various news stories, you’ll really start to see the immense charm of such a game.  The artwork is great, seeing the expressions on each person’s face, the quirkiness (maybe japaneseness) of the game really draws you in.  Plus, there are challenges that are totally optional, which is great.  For instance, if you get all perfect orders in a day you get an extra $200, but it’s not something that’s stuck in your face, not even portrayed as some sort of achievement.  And because it’s presented that way, you really get a great rush of satisfaction when you receive that $200 after all of your hard work.

I really recommend this game, so try it out!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 02:52:44 PM by Duckmeister » Logged

There is a fine line between genius and insanity.  I have erased this line.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: June 03, 2009, 02:46:32 PM »

the only thing missing from that review is mention of who made it (mr. chubigans) and the other games he's made. context is everything!

Duckmeister
Level 0

Crescent Fresh

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 03, 2009, 02:53:06 PM »

Changes made, thanks for the heads-up (d'oh)!

ChevyRay
« Reply #109 on: June 03, 2009, 03:10:25 PM »

Oh gawd the graphics burn. But I think I've played a couple of the fellow's games in the past, and they were pretty good regardless.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2009, 04:45:11 PM »

maybe this 'theme week' could be repeated with other themes, like rpg week, text adventure week, etc. etc.

Duckmeister
Level 0

Crescent Fresh

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 03, 2009, 05:22:39 PM »

Yay, my review got put up!  Thanks, Derek!  The next one will be coming soon!

EDIT:  Also, thanks for putting in the links, and thanks for correcting that Ore No Ryouri thing.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 05:30:48 PM by Duckmeister » Logged

mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 03, 2009, 06:03:39 PM »

maybe this 'theme week' could be repeated with other themes, like rpg week, text adventure week, etc. etc.

I like that idea.  Also, point-and-click adventures.
ZeHa
Level 0

Dr. Wuro Industries

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »

BTW, does anyone here remember "Get The Girl"?
-->

« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 08:15:43 AM by ZeHa » Logged

Toadsanime
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: June 04, 2009, 10:38:49 AM »

I'll mention Glace, if I may. I can't believe how underated that game seemed to be.
Duckmeister
Level 0

Crescent Fresh

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 04, 2009, 11:50:27 AM »

Okay, here's the next review for Classics Week (GeneRally):

GeneRally

GeneRally is a top-down hotseat multiplayer racing game, made by Hannu and Jukka Räbinä, that would remind one of Micro Machines.  You can play with up to 5 other players, either human or AI, and drive until you cannot drive any longer.  At the surface, it’s just that simple, a couple of guys sitting around the computer playing a straight-forward racing game.  But once you look deeper, you start to see all the work that was put into it.

I’ll show you a glimpse at some of the features in this game.  There are changeable difficulty levels for the AI players.  Extremely customizable driver profiles, with custom colors, controls, and full statistics.  50+ tracks and 8 cars, plus thousands of community-made tracks and cars.  Semi-realistic physics.  An extremely detailed track and car editor.  Ghost car (for time trials)!  Full mod support! Changeable timescales!  Completely customizable race conditions, like how much a full tank of fuel weighs, or how fast the tires wear off and the fuel burns up.  That’s right, for such a minimalistic racing game, there are pit crews and pit stops!  The list goes on and on…

Basically, GeneRally is everything you want in an arcade racing game and more.  If you like Micro Machines, or just fun games in general, you’ll like GeneRally.  It’s got features you’d never expect in a minimalistic racing game (like pit crews), full statistics, and some of the best and smoothest hotseat multiplayer I’ve seen.  As a bonus, the full mod support, with the very much alive community means the replay value is endless.

Try this game out, you will not be disappointed.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: June 04, 2009, 02:58:15 PM »

i just posted photopia

btw, when do xander and i get to be mentioned here? Smiley

Duckmeister
Level 0

Crescent Fresh

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 04, 2009, 04:28:52 PM »

Ahem ahem

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: June 04, 2009, 04:30:37 PM »

too impatient! you have to wait for derek, i don't know how to post as 'guest reviewer'

Duckmeister
Level 0

Crescent Fresh

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 04, 2009, 04:41:08 PM »

I am too impatient, yes.  Sorry.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic