Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:07:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)2D Game Engines - Not For Beginners
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 2D Game Engines - Not For Beginners  (Read 1448 times)
CLAVIGER_
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2017, 09:26:20 AM »

Finding a good game engine for you is a difficult task. There is lots of research to be done and many reviews end up fairly heavily biased. I am a primarily 2D game developer. I have most experience using Gamemaker Studio, but I'm finding the engine's language, gml, to be quite sub par for what I want to make. I also have used Unity for a while and am currently working on a game in it, but I'm finding it has a much stronger focus on 3D games and I am not a huge fan of that. I was wondering if anybody else here who has experience making 2D games primarily has any recommendations for engines. I would prefer a language that is widely used: C#, C++, Lua, Python, etc. But I'm not picky!

CLAVIGER_
qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 09:28:18 AM »

Love2D  Waaagh!
CLAVIGER_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 09:33:16 AM »

Love2D  Waaagh!

Looks interesting! I've heard of this engine before but have been warned that the community/documentation is a little immature. This doesn't really bother me too much and I'm interested in trying out Lua, so I'll probably check this out! Have you used Love for any games? Have you had any issues with the engine at all?

CLAVIGER_
DivideUp
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 09:56:05 AM »

I used to work with Sfml, and sometimes with Sdl.
CLAVIGER_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 10:03:18 AM »

I used to work with Sfml, and sometimes with Sdl.

These both seem very simple, easy to use, and lightweight. I dig it.

CLAVIGER_
qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 10:07:27 AM »

Love2D  Waaagh!

Looks interesting! I've heard of this engine before but have been warned that the community/documentation is a little immature. This doesn't really bother me too much and I'm interested in trying out Lua, so I'll probably check this out! Have you used Love for any games? Have you had any issues with the engine at all?

No problems for me! However I always read the source code when I have questions. But in my experience the people on forums are very active. You shouldn’t have any problems if you’re proactive about asking specific and non-vague questions on the forum. In my opinion Love2D is the best engine/framework for 2D.
ifire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 01:15:35 PM »

Take a look at https://v-play.net/
-Ross
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 06:40:23 PM »

You might take a look at Defold. It doesn't have a big feature set, but it's pretty light weight and dependable. A little bit like Love, but it has an editor. It uses Lua (LuaJIT where possible) for scripting and supports C++ extensions. It has great documentation and support too.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 06:50:50 PM by -Ross » Logged

pilchards
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 11:14:07 AM »

LibGDX is also really good. It's more of a framework than an engine though.
jgrams
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 06:11:14 AM »

Love2D  Waaagh!

Huh.  Maybe that was an older opinion?  I would have said that Love has some of the best documentation I've ever seen.  Sometimes things aren't cross-referenced quite as well as they could be, but I've only found one major omission that I can think of (the foreground color is used as the "tint" and global alpha for drawing images, which is hinted at under setColor but not mentioned on the page for draw. It's certainly not as bad as Unity's documentation.  And of course Lua is quite well documented.

The Love community is definitely small and has a lot of complete beginners, but there are a few people who know their stuff.

The engine itself is pretty nice. The documentation shows which versions added and removed various bits of functionality, and it's clear that they have steadily cleaned up the APIs and made them simpler and more powerful.  I've been pretty impressed with it.  As with LibGDX, SFML, and SDL, it's more on the "toolkit" end of things than the "complete engine" end of things.  It doesn't have game objects that move themselves or anything like that: it just gives you global update and draw callbacks. It's more-or-less a Lua wrapper for SDL with a simple main loop and a 2D renderer built on OpenGL.  There's no editor (in fact the community seems to be against general-purpose game/level editors).  It has Box2D built-in for physics.  If you want simpler collision detection there's nothing built-in, but there are a number of Lua libraries you can download.

A lot of 2D games these days are going with 3D rendering.  If you might go in that direction, or want an editor, or want a more complete engine with built-in objects and scenes and such, I'd try Defold.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic