Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:37:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMångata (Cancelled)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Mångata (Cancelled)  (Read 12455 times)
saj
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2017, 08:44:46 AM »

The game is now called Mångata, new itch.io page: inkeri.itch.io/mangata

And here are some screenshots:

« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 04:34:50 AM by Inkeri » Logged
saj
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 11:41:08 AM »

[ORIGINAL HEADER MESSAGE]

Hello!

So, here's the game I've been working on for 8 month now.

Few words about the Temple of the Monolith:
- PC, controller support is planned
- Top-down hack-and-slash
- I want to make exploration meaningful and rewarding, but still somewhat optional
- The game is going to be relatively short, especially if you speedrun everything

Don't want to bore you with too much text, here are some screenshots:

Feel free to criticize anything. Negative feedback is the way to improve.

[ORIGINAL SECOND MESSAGE]
Blocking out new tile set.

Recorded a short video:

« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 07:35:18 PM by sai » Logged
saj
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 11:00:19 PM »

Everything is grey so far.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 11:21:56 PM by sai » Logged
TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 02:55:56 PM »

I dig your emphasis on exploration — often top-down hack and slashes are more about the action and insanity of the combat.

Exploration is always a good thing!

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
saj
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 01:07:38 AM »

amanfr01, yeah. But I don't really want to disrupt player from the action. People who want to smash things should get what they want. But the players who's mindset is "Hey what if I go the way designer didn't intend me to go?", they should get extra treasure.

So I was experimenting with volumetric fog (I guess that's how it's called)

« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 11:22:20 PM by sai » Logged
saj
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 02:25:16 AM »

Decided not to reinvent the wheel, and used Unity global fog. Looks better and gives no tension.
Tested lightmaps import from Blender on a grid floor mesh. Liking it so far.

Wanted to move on to the textures, but felt there is a need to redefine the scale a little.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 11:22:42 PM by sai » Logged
saj
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 11:44:48 PM »

Started texturing.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 11:23:17 PM by sai » Logged
saj
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 11:48:19 AM »

Recorded short video:

Added more textures and particles.
The lights are not baked, so the final result may vary!

« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 11:23:43 PM by sai » Logged
Grhyll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 01:30:46 PM »

Looks nice! But... Where's the loot :D

Programmer at The Game Bakers
3-50.net
Current project: oQo
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 02:33:18 PM »

Looking good! Smiley

Looks nice! But... Where's the loot :D
It's right here: Grin
- I want to make exploration meaningful and rewarding, but still somewhat optional

I dig your emphasis on exploration — often top-down hack and slashes are more about the action and insanity of the combat.
Maybe because that's what people who like hack and slash games tend to prefer.   I know, I am one of those people. Wink

saj
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 02:07:28 PM »

Grhyll, io3 creations, thank you!

To nail down the combat is very important for me.

About the loot.
Short answer: it's not implemented yet.
Longs answer: io3 creations is right, I want to make loot hand-placed, not drop from monsters. However, I was thinking about Grhyll's post; maybe adding some random loot from enemies would make hand-placed loot feel more special and combat more rewarding (so that's basically win-win). So, added random loot to my list of "luxury features" - the list of features that are worth considering later, but right now it's too early to say.

Here are some fresh screenshots (more stuff on the background and added some post process):

« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 11:24:17 PM by sai » Logged
saj
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 11:47:02 AM »

Switching to smaller tasks for some time.

Walls go transparent if they hide the character.

saj
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 02:50:01 PM »

New video:

Here's what's new:
- monsters now drop purple spheres

- started working on pylons (something like checkpoints in the game)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 11:24:55 PM by sai » Logged
saj
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 10:28:16 AM »

Added doors.
Video: https://mastodon.art/@fika/99253282857677241

Progress on the pylon and textures:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 11:25:23 PM by sai » Logged
saj
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 10:38:29 AM »

Added new spell and pylon animation:

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 07:02:55 AM »

The gameplay videos remind me of the smoothness / combat of World of Warcraft. Haven't played that game since 2010, but still, I'm impressed with how tight the animations feel just from watching the videos!

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
Cruckz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 07:18:15 AM »

https://imgur.com/a/uGsFy

Loving the style, I'd say watch your texel density, making a trim sheet for all sizes in a good idea. I'd also edit your UV's on the outer edges as it will really make a difference.
Keep up the good work!     

Danton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 08:34:05 AM »

Like the look of this. Agree that making exploration a focus would help it stand out. I'd love to see a game like this have truly distinct paths (take one and the other closes) with different challenges and gameplay styles for each. One path could be more trap and environment challenge heavy, versus another is very much about fighting enemies.

I know it's still early days, but some friendly feedback / random thots:

- I think the overall feel would benefit from more liberal use of hitstop and screenshake, especially on the melee attacks. At the moment the magic spells / hits don't have the umph you'd like.

- I like what you've done with enemy death, it be great to see interesting intros for enemies as well. Jumping into the scene, smashing the ground, charging at the player, etc.

- How are you thinking about the risk / reward of a melee attack versus magic? I really liked what Hyper Light Drifter did here... having to use your sword to gain energy for your gun... perhaps you could take that model and evolve it for your project.

All the best with it!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 08:41:05 AM by Danton » Logged

Unto The End - Wishlist on Steam
saj
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 02:00:48 PM »

Thank you very much for the feedback guys!

amanfr01, I'm very glad you like it, because animations are very important for me. Actually most of the main character animations are temp (especially the sword slash, it looks so awkward right now). I was focusing first on making them working for the gameplay, then I'll go for polish.

Cruckz, for texel density I have a rule: 8x8 game units is 512x512 pixels. Not so high-resolution (to put it in perspective, one tile on this floor is 2x2 game units). I might be a weirdo, but I want to keep this PS2/PS3-era level of details, because I like it for some reason.

I always appreciate overpaints, outer edges definitely needed some treatment.
I'll check texture resolution on the area you marked (they are actually might be different, since they are on different sheets, so I might messed things up there). The steps area is vector and I was planning to overpaint it (to make this vector sharpness go away). The fence thingy is lacking details, since I just scratched it fast to have something. But thank you for pointing it out, since it is so easy to miss these things and forget about them.

Danton,
I'd love to see a game like this have truly distinct paths (take one and the other closes) with different challenges and gameplay styles for each. One path could be more trap and environment challenge heavy, versus another is very much about fighting enemies.
That's something I would love to do, that's for sure. Since it's too early to tell about the scope yet, I can't say how much it will be a part of the game. But having some alternative paths would be very good.

I think the overall feel would benefit from more liberal use of hitstop and screenshake, especially on the melee attacks. At the moment the magic spells / hits don't have the umph you'd like.
Hitstops are planned. I wanted to implement something like a stun system, so hitstop would be a mini-stun it that case. Didn't want to touch it until the third milestone (right now I'm at milestone #2), but since you mentioned it, decided to give it a higher priority.
About the screen shake - didn't think about it, but got the same suggestion on Mastodon just today. Added screenshake to the task list. Thanks you!

I like what you've done with enemy death, it be great to see interesting intros for enemies as well. Jumping into the scene, smashing the ground, charging at the player, etc.
Would be really nice! No promises right now, but I'll definitely think about it.

So, the update. ^_^
- Started working on BGM. Here's the demo track. Some things I like here, some - don't. Will try to fix with other demos.
https://soundcloud.com/saidrona/totm-demo-1
- Added local rendering ambiance. So some areas can have different lighting, fog color, etc. Here's a demo:
https://curate.mastodon.art/gallery/media_attachments/files/000/400/925/original/dbae8e2d67d86c0e.mp4
- Tried multiple camera smoothing methods. Didn't like them, but you can check the results here:
https://curate.mastodon.art/gallery/media_attachments/files/000/400/889/original/4b5e774587d4843f.mp4
https://curate.mastodon.art/gallery/media_attachments/files/000/400/916/original/85d693c92bb978bf.mp4
But I left the field in conf file to turn it on.
- Rewrote rotation method (it's smoother now)
- Blood after death stays on the ground for a longer time now (that was actually a bug!)
- Added dynamic camera scale (depends on movement speed, can be disabled in config, most likely will add field in settings)
- Improved feedback when multiple enemies get hit by Frost Bolt explosion
Danton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 10:52:55 AM »

As a follow up... a good gamastura article on making combat feel impactful. Might be worth a look.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/2290/improving_the_combat_impact_of_.php?print=1

Unto The End - Wishlist on Steam
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic