Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:43:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsParkasaurus
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: Parkasaurus  (Read 34170 times)
Taky
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2018, 05:53:55 AM »

Took a bit of feedback, 2nd pass on bio-diversity feels way cleaner and not as forced. Removed plants being ignored from lack of proper "water" source, (was confusing as to why not counted), and removed ratio balancing, but added option for researching advanced "happy plants" to push your exhibit score closer to 100 (not required, no negative ramifications if not done)

Down here, it's our time.
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2018, 02:09:15 PM »

Of course, you know it'll be important to make sure that you "quickly" let players who already seen the other game(s) of the differences instead of them assuming that both games are the same/similar.
Very true. This is actually one of my biggest concerns at the moment (besides, you know, making a great game...). My current thought is high-liting what *I* think makes our game special, and maybe seeing the largest criticisms of the other games. Not sure though, open to suggestions.
I'm also in a guessing territory here.  One other thing that came to mind would be perhaps asking people who have played the other games and wrote reviews.  Their opinions will be be available, but I'd be more interested in what would help them to know what makes your game different.  Just a thought.

Taky
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2018, 07:49:27 AM »

Debating if the first playground you build in the game is a bit too much on the "poor" side. The upgrade-able versions are much cooler. I thought it was funny; but now not sure if it isn't more sad?

Hoj
Level 0

:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2018, 01:37:23 PM »

Debating if the first playground you build in the game is a bit too much on the "poor" side. The upgrade-able versions are much cooler. I thought it was funny; but now not sure if it isn't more sad?

Haha. That does look very sad.

Maybe you can have more exciting elements to the park, like a swing... just make everything look like it's make from wood and trees perhaps. Cheap materials but still fun.

Please join our game design server on Discord: https://discord.gg/2vTggSz
Taky
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2018, 05:26:00 AM »

Haha. That does look very sad.

Maybe you can have more exciting elements to the park, like a swing... just make everything look like it's make from wood and trees perhaps. Cheap materials but still fun.

My question for you would then be, is it *too* sad.. the level2 playground is below. Was your knee jerk reaction with the first playground "haha, that's sad" or "shit, I just spent money (in game) on this, sad"?

whistlerat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2018, 05:34:52 AM »

Was your knee jerk reaction with the first playground "haha, that's sad" or "shit, I just spent money (in game) on this, sad"?

My reaction would probably be the former, as long as it was clear that was the context! If there was a little bit of narrative fluff of 'you're just starting with peanuts, here's a peak at the cool stuff you can build up to...' then I, personally, would have no problem with such a 'sad' starting situation. Especially if you just used it as an excuse for a tutorial, or the like Smiley

But if it was clear that first-level versions of stuff were just that - first level - then there should be no problem? You want people to want to improve and develop, after all.

(Glad the stuff on the previous page was useful too, btw! Hand Thumbs Up Right)

Taky
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2018, 07:03:34 AM »

Update #7 : Let's make Bio-Diversity great again

Alpha Version 2
Everything looks to be on track. We might take an extra week to reach Alpha Ver 2 in order to give a thorough pass on Dino logic. Specifically carnivore behavior – we’re looking to make their demeanor more personable; ie. more like lions at the zoo as opposed to berserk monsters from the movies. (don’t worry, they still eat people)

Update 007 Topics
Bio-Diversity
Preview Tool
Upgrade Sets

Bio-Diversity
We’re hoping players create beautiful diverse exhibits for their Dinos that include a range of fauna and decoration. The earlier version of bio-diversity tried to reward players to achieve the perfect balance between trees : rocks : plants. After designing a few exhibits we quickly found this system stifled the creativity of players. Not cool!  Instead we reward players for bio-diversity, but don’t punish players if this is not their prime focus in Parkasaurus. Much better.  The bars shown in the image now indicate the amount of each fauna / decoration type in the selected exhibit, and also how many of level 1 types versus level 2 types. Level 2 exhibit type items are researched and give bonuses to Dino happiness among other cool benefits.

Preview Tool
This maybe isn’t the most exciting picture to show – but it is the most exciting for me to work with! We created a tool to create awesome preview pictures (right) for the in-game build menu based off the original 3D models (left). What this means for Parkasaurus  is 1) beautiful preview images 2) keeps us on pace to get the game into your hands.

Upgrade Sets
In Parkasaurus  you can upgrade a whole range of park buildings and important functional items. This past week we’ve created all the models for these upgrade sets. For example, the admissions booth can be upgraded to Level 2, Level 3. Every upgrade comes with both a visual change AND an increase in park performance. The increase in performance depends on what is being upgraded, so in the case of the admissions booth you can imagine increased performance means serving customers quicker, and having additional booths to accept MORE customers (not shown).

Fewf!
If you're reading this thanks for getting this far, and we'd love for you to check out our Steam page. xoxo

Snö
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2018, 01:14:11 PM »

Nice progress! Love your post, very informative!
How are you guys spliting the tasks? Are you artist + Coder? Or you guys do both?
You working full time on it?

Keep it up, it's super promessing!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 04:36:06 PM by Snö » Logged

Taky
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2018, 04:45:04 PM »

Realized we probably need a "logo" to appear throughout the park. It's unfortunate that we didn't think of this when making the "Parkasaurus" logo for our website logo which I quite like. Anyway - trying to see how it would look if it was to be on in game buildings. Since the game is isometric, the angle makes it look a bit weird. Maybe I take that into account when making the in game logo? It is suppose to be a trex roaring.

Fuzzy Branch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2018, 05:02:44 PM »

Yeah I wasn't able to discern what it was until I read your description. I think you'll definitely want to take the camera angle into account when designing a park logo.

One quick thing to try in the meantime though is to mirror flip it horizontally so that the head is naturally above the neck due to the perspective going 'up' as distance increases (although now that I say that this would only work if the logos are always on the left side of buildings...)

Overall I think if the logo had more use of negative space (i.e. more space in the open mouth?) and/or more centered/vertically focused (so as to be less distorted by the 'shearing' due to isometric view) it should read better. As it is, it's a little too blobby in that screenshot to be immediately recognizable at that small scale.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2018, 05:09:57 PM »

Even after reading the description of what it supposed to be ... I can only see a smiling happy hippo.  Durr...?

Taky
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2018, 02:46:52 PM »

One quick thing to try in the meantime though is to mirror flip it horizontally so that the head is naturally above the neck due to the perspective going 'up' as distance increases (although now that I say that this would only work if the logos are always on the left side of buildings...)

Quickly tried a few iterations. I removed an eyeball (open up negative space) and shrunk the neck. I actually like the mirror too. Of course, I might just re-do the entire logo (sign) but we'll see. I moved it over to be on the side - but then realize the in game sun wasn't landing on it, making it a bit dark. Of course, players can place buildings facing any of the cardinal directions, but this is the default way the buildings "face". Actually, looking at it now, I like the look away version (horz mirror). Good suggestions.

Taky
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2018, 10:10:07 AM »

Need to make some head and neck wear. Suggestions would be welcome. A fedora you ask Certainly.

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2018, 04:56:52 PM »

Pretty sure you already nailed it. I can't think of anything to top that fedora. It's all downhill from here

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Taky
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2018, 05:02:45 AM »

Pretty sure downhill was when I hit my 30's? Boom. Self-roast.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2018, 10:10:07 AM »

Need to make some head and neck wear. Suggestions would be welcome.
Simple: Mr T-Rex!   Grin

Hoj
Level 0

:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2018, 03:29:37 PM »

Need to make some head and neck wear. Suggestions would be welcome. A fedora you ask Certainly.

Head and neck wear for the dinosaurs?

Please join our game design server on Discord: https://discord.gg/2vTggSz
Taky
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2018, 08:02:44 AM »

Simple: Mr T-Rex!   Grin

Gold chains around the neck is a good idea. Smiley Actually, I wonder if hair would be an interesting researched piece; like Mr.T mohawk. These forums do generate ides!

Taky
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2018, 08:04:21 AM »

Hi all - just wanted to let you know the Parkasaurus Discord channel is up: https://discord.gg/7u9d6f9

Reasons to join: 

• This is where we'll eventually run the closed Beta
  • Vote on what Dinos we make next for the game
  • Join a Dino family
  • Post / talk about cool science stuff
  • Hang out with me and make game suggestions Smiley

Thanks!

Taky
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2018, 12:55:51 PM »

Trying out a few ideas for "feeders". Not sure if going to include all styles, but settling on "fake" natural object (say tree stump) filled with leaves, obviously synthetic feeder filled with leaves (middle) or obviously person-made, but stylistic natural materials filled with leaves (far right).

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic