Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 05:51:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWhat price for impulse buy?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What price for impulse buy?  (Read 1329 times)
bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« on: November 30, 2017, 05:45:04 AM »

What is a good impulse buy price for a small arcade PC game like mine?

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 08:41:44 AM »

2.99€.

Or eleven assholes.

Yeah.
bombjack
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 09:52:00 AM »

2.99€.

Or eleven assholes.
both are tempting  Cheesy

zizulot
Level 0

ZIZ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 07:10:49 AM »

Agree with 2.99 tag  Beer!
eyeliner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 04:35:59 AM »

Rereading my previous reply, I don't really know where that came from, but I'd probably rewrite my reply better, and for that, I apologise.

Just do a bit of math:
How long did it take you to go from start to finish? <- Compare that to the minimum wage in your country, per hour/days
Did you buy any assets/tools? <- Add those as well.

So you can get a better picture of the total amount spent on it.

Then compute the minimum copies you need to sell to cover the expenses. Is that price feasible?

Yeah.
bombjack
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 07:20:59 AM »

Rereading my previous reply, I don't really know where that came from, but I'd probably rewrite my reply better, and for that, I apologise.

Just do a bit of math:
How long did it take you to go from start to finish? <- Compare that to the minimum wage in your country, per hour/days
Did you buy any assets/tools? <- Add those as well.

So you can get a better picture of the total amount spent on it.

Then compute the minimum copies you need to sell to cover the expenses. Is that price feasible?

Don't worry about the first post, it made me laugh Smiley

I already made my pricing homeworks. I checked similar games prices, the number of game sales etc...
The prices vary from $1 to $15 with the median price being around $4.99
The sales vary a lot too. Going from 2K to 300K if I limit my research to indie games. The mean value being around 130K.

Knowing the fact that this a small arcade game and being the first I'll commercially release, I think I'd have to go for an impulse buy. I know exactly how much it costed me and how much I have to get back if I want to live from it.
But the big unknown is how much sales i will get.

With a $2.99 price tag, I will break even with less than 4000 copies which sounds reasonable.
The only down side is that the low price could give a bad feel about the game.

mpixel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 09:47:23 AM »

Its pretty easy to let go of $2

bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 10:00:34 AM »

With a $2.99 price tag, I will break even with less than 4000 copies which sounds reasonable.

Bear in mind that 4000 sales is enough that it will be very hard work to achieve without a marketing budget (and may prove impossible).

A very rough guideline is to look at how many people follow your dev work (adding up FaceBook, Twitter and everything else that amounts to some kind of reach) and multiply by the fraction who you think will buy a copy (somewhere around 1%-10% as a rough guess). So to get 4000 sales you'd need a reach of at least 40000.

Of course, you can also get sales from word of mouth recommendations and so on, but for most games that's so close to zero that it makes no difference.

tl;dr - I suspect you'll need some marketing.

bombjack
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 05:37:31 AM »

Marketing for a side project indie game is difficult with low budget.
It's not new. I'll do my best to increase online awareness.
Aside from classic websites and social media, if you have any idea for DIY PR I would be happy to hear it Smiley

Choosing the price is a really difficult subject. I feel like the game is worth at least $4.99 but it could be hard to convince buying a small arcade game at this price.  Sad

eyeliner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 08:04:11 AM »

Let's Plays and Youtube reviewers seem to be the best affordable bet.

Maybe throwing the game along Humble Bundle way to see if it makes a presence soon-ish?

Yeah.
bombjack
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 10:53:23 AM »

Let's Plays and Youtube reviewers seem to be the best affordable bet.

Maybe throwing the game along Humble Bundle way to see if it makes a presence soon-ish?

By Humble Bundle, you mean the store or really the bundle?

zizulot
Level 0

ZIZ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 08:53:42 PM »

Yeah one problem and its big one is marketing, but if you put some work at it you will be good
eyeliner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 06:26:12 AM »

The bundle. Sorry for not making it clear.
I find that by getting a bundle of games, I am more keen on trying them at least once instead of purchasing them separately. Mostly one or two of the games that interest you make the bundle worth it, so some discoverability is also at play there.

My meagre cents on the subject, at least...

Yeah.
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 02:26:37 AM »

The trouble with bundles is that you make no money. It's a very bad idea to bundle before regular sales, because then everyone who wants your game picks it up for nearly nothing.

Streamers and YouTubers are a popular free marketing option, but the catch is that the ones with real reach already have more game offers than they can play.

(I haven't got any good tips though, sorry. My own attempts at $0 marketing have not gone well!)

ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 09:05:09 AM »

I don't think you should be worried about pricing.  This dude sells his arcade style shooter games for about a dollar.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/10/18/secrets-of-the-developer-who-sold-half-a-million-videogames-youve-never-heard-of-on-steam/

bombjack
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2017, 12:50:57 AM »

I don't think you should be worried about pricing.  This dude sells his arcade style shooter games for about a dollar.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/10/18/secrets-of-the-developer-who-sold-half-a-million-videogames-youve-never-heard-of-on-steam/

Yeah, I saw this article but I'm still worried Wink I think that luck is also a factor of sales. You could do a lot of stuff to make your game better, more visible, etc... If you don't have a little more luck or an amazing PR, it could fail.

Knowing that most indie games fails, I'm prepared to failure Smiley

It's just a month and a half that I started talking about the game and I've not received much feedback.
I post the devlog on 8 different places and post updates on twitter, reddit and imgur.
I wrote 5 posts + 1 article talking about how Doom inspired my game + many tweets, reddits and images posts

As for now, I received 14 feedbacks on a shmup dedicated forum, and 3 comments on other sites.
Adding the followers and commenters, I have around 35 potential buyers, plus around 1300 consultation on indiedb.

D.O.T is maybe not attractive enough. If you have tips too fix this, I'm ready too hear them Smiley Anyway, this time I've decided to finish it and I'll do.

I put a lot of effort in personal PR, I hope I'll get something out of it at the end Smiley

And by the way, I want to thank all of you for your instructive replies Smiley

Whelly
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 12:46:19 PM »

I wrote an article about DIY marketing and PR, and you might find it useful. It totally is possible if you have the right hook and draw. I didn't spend a penny on marketing and my game still sold pretty well. https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidWehle/20170918/305440/The_Mysterious_World_of_DIY_Indie_Marketing.php

The First Tree, a third-person exploration game about a fox and a family, coming 2017.
bombjack
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2017, 02:02:20 AM »

I wrote an article about DIY marketing and PR, and you might find it useful. It totally is possible if you have the right hook and draw. I didn't spend a penny on marketing and my game still sold pretty well. https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidWehle/20170918/305440/The_Mysterious_World_of_DIY_Indie_Marketing.php

I already bookmarked you great article. Thanks of the hint Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic