Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:51:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs"Salem" - Witches in SPACE
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: "Salem" - Witches in SPACE  (Read 20422 times)
Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2017, 04:42:25 PM »

inb4 the new pitch is a Seinfeld reference

You got in just under the wire buddy.  Noir

Actually, 2 seconds too late...

« Last Edit: Today at 04:41:53 pm by Devi Ever »

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2017, 04:43:57 PM »

inb4 the new pitch is a Seinfeld reference

You got in just under the wire buddy.  Noir

Eeking out my victories by a sliver. It's how I roll.

I was wrong.. you were two seconds too late.

« Last Edit: Today at 04:41:53 pm by Devi Ever »

« Reply #92 on: Today at 04:41:55 pm »

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2017, 09:40:51 PM »

Hey look.  Salem is actually a crafting survival game now!

It's buggy as heck and I have to spend a full day cleaning up code and making the new systems bullet proof, but hey, it's crafting!

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2017, 01:59:35 PM »

Hey that wand fairy picker upper thing is really clever and satisfying to look at

Thank you!  All of this is just supposed to be kinda temp / filler gameplay until I have more time to really work things out but the more I see how it looks like the wand is controlling the fairy doing stuff the more I want to run with it.  I'm glad you like it!  It feels good to play as well.  Will definitely release a build as soon as I bullet proof the item management.

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2017, 02:41:55 PM »

I've been really depressed the past few days as it's been hard to balance game dev with day job so last night I tried to right a happy outside theme and instead came up with this tragic anxiety ridden arrangement.

HiddenNatureDsn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2017, 03:16:48 PM »

I've been really depressed the past few days as it's been hard to balance game dev with day job so last night I tried to right a happy outside theme and instead came up with this tragic anxiety ridden arrangement.

I know that feeling.  I've had a few frustrating, downer nights recently.  That anxiety from the day job vs the passion project, and worrying about the near future and bills, works its way into my brain on a regular basis.  It's hard, but I focus on the little milestones and constantly measure my progress.  Every step forward makes me feel better, even if it's a small step.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2017, 09:29:04 PM »

Gatherin' sum shrooms!

This wand is making everything alright
Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2017, 01:55:41 PM »

I know that feeling.  I've had a few frustrating, downer nights recently.  That anxiety from the day job vs the passion project, and worrying about the near future and bills, works its way into my brain on a regular basis.  It's hard, but I focus on the little milestones and constantly measure my progress.  Every step forward makes me feel better, even if it's a small step.

I really appreciate that.  I'm glad you are finding inspiration to keep moving even with baby steps.  I'm struggling to feel the same way but am trying really hard to feel good about even the smallest advancements.

This wand is making everything alright

Thank you!  I'm definitely feeling better about it and am glad you feel the same way! :D

HiddenNatureDsn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2017, 02:05:35 PM »

I really appreciate that.  I'm glad you are finding inspiration to keep moving even with baby steps.  I'm struggling to feel the same way but am trying really hard to feel good about even the smallest advancements.

Well, if it helps, I have enjoyed all of your updates so far.  And if it doesn't help, I have still enjoyed all of your updates so far.
Sundrop
Level 1

Grandma cooks best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2017, 09:52:55 PM »

I love the wizard's eyebrows! The amount of white on the screen tires my eyes a little bit, but that should be fixed when all the other stuff gets added into the world! Can't wait for your next update!

flex$
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2017, 11:45:12 PM »

your spirit and vision have won me over. just want to send along my encouragement. it can be tough to create when you're down, but you've motivated me. Smiley

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2017, 09:26:08 AM »

This project really seems to be coming along swiftly and well, as far as I see--and that fairy-cursor is very cute, and rather appropriate, I feel. ^_^

Regarding the background colour, I wonder whether a dark colour might not work better--perhaps that dark cyan--with white kept back for highlights or brighter things? A darker colour might recede a bit more than white, and be a little easier to look at in large amounts.

vga256
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2017, 10:33:20 AM »

Looking great devi! Sure love the CGA styling that seems to be your calling card :D

Have this project pinned now so I can keep up with it.
Al_B
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2017, 05:48:42 PM »

"It all starts with a girl." Doesn't it always? ANyways, good to see you're doing this for the love.

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2017, 07:22:34 PM »

OMG!  I step away for a day or two and look at all you wonderful people! :D

Well, if it helps, I have enjoyed all of your updates so far.  And if it doesn't help, I have still enjoyed all of your updates so far.

That does help!  Thank you! :D

I love the wizard's eyebrows! The amount of white on the screen tires my eyes a little bit, but that should be fixed when all the other stuff gets added into the world! Can't wait for your next update!

Ah!  Thanks! :D  I love her eyebrows too!  She's got a real Lambchop look going for her. :3

I definitely respect the white might be too much for some.  Hopefully I can find a happy medium moving forward.

your spirit and vision have won me over. just want to send along my encouragement. it can be tough to create when you're down, but you've motivated me. Smiley

You are very kind! :D  The animation in your signature motivates me! :D

This project really seems to be coming along swiftly and well, as far as I see--and that fairy-cursor is very cute, and rather appropriate, I feel. ^_^

Regarding the background colour, I wonder whether a dark colour might not work better--perhaps that dark cyan--with white kept back for highlights or brighter things? A darker colour might recede a bit more than white, and be a little easier to look at in large amounts.

Thanks!  I really need to get ahead on my day job so I can keep up the pace.  It's absolutely killing me not having more time to spend on continuing development on this. Sad

Glad you enjoy the fairy cursor! :D

I've tried a darker color background but the white feels better.  Also I have other various textures for things like water, snow, etc.  Not to mention too since I don't have a highlight color for the protagonist it's hard to work with darker colors.  I'm definitely not against experimenting (or if anyone else wants to shoot me their own attempts), but for now I need to focus on the game mechanics and narrative.

Looking great devi! Sure love the CGA styling that seems to be your calling card :D

Have this project pinned now so I can keep up with it.

Thanks!  I do love me some classical palette limitations! :D  EGA / CGA / NES are my jam! :D

I really think the white background is giving it an iconic look. I'll always know if I'm looking at a Salem screenshot, which I think is a valuable characteristic. I agree that I think once you have the world populated with more objects that the white won't be as blinding.

The idea that this game could have an iconic anything makes me really happy!  ... and yeah, like, I imagine the white kinda being the default "grass" color but obviously there will be other places with differing ground textures and colors.

"It all starts with a girl." Doesn't it always? ANyways, good to see you're doing this for the love.

I do love doing it! :D

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2017, 09:30:33 AM »

I really need to get ahead on my day job so I can keep up the pace.  It's absolutely killing me not having more time to spend on continuing development on this. Sad

I'm sorry to read it! I hope that you succeed in getting ahead with your day-job, then, and find plenty of time for this project. ^_^

I've tried a darker color background but the white feels better.  Also I have other various textures for things like water, snow, etc.  Not to mention too since I don't have a highlight color for the protagonist it's hard to work with darker colors.

Fair enough! And even at its "worst", I don't think that I'd call it "bad", and it is distinctive, I think. I'm interested to see the other textures that you have available! ^_^

I'm definitely not against experimenting (or if anyone else wants to shoot me their own attempts), but for now I need to focus on the game mechanics and narrative.

That does make a lot of sense, admittedly!

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2017, 11:40:42 AM »

I haven't had time to gamedev but am trying to make time to do pixel art... daydreaming about witches.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: December 16, 2017, 09:20:46 AM »

I like it. It has a "chunky" style to the lines that looks cute to me. ^_^

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: December 17, 2017, 03:27:00 AM »

LOOK UPON THIS NIGHTMARE AND DESPAIR

« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 03:34:57 AM by Devi Ever » Logged

rj