Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411501 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:51:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSun Switch - A surreal point and click whatever
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sun Switch - A surreal point and click whatever  (Read 2974 times)
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: December 03, 2017, 10:40:38 AM »

Sun Switch
A Myst-like point-and-click adventure

Explore the countryside of Floorwood solving puzzles and navigating your strange surroundings.

I made these somewhat recently from photos I took around my room. I mainly just wanted to see if I could make a point and click game like Myst and I still don't know if I'll run into any project ending problems but I figure it might motivate me to work on this more if I started a devlog.

The palettes will vary for each location. I haven't decided on any other area palettes but I was experimenting with some potential ones here although they aren't as saturated and vary in contrast.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 12:24:53 PM »

you know im always here for your shit my dude

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 12:29:24 PM »

Maybe it's because it's in the middle but the one in the middle stood out to me the most. I think I like that the orange figures pop the most in that one instead of being a bit lost in the others (assuming that they are supposed to be eye-catching).

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 01:04:52 PM »

@rj - Much appreciated!

@foofter - That's a good point. I'll probably use that palette for a cold, snowy section so there will probably be some animals there in that orange color.

I was thinking some of the palettes could fit better for shorter indoor sections like tunnels, caves or small houses you can go inside. So that would be good for the brownish ones or any palette I still kind of like but would want to use sparingly. I'd save the better palettes for the larger open areas. Anyways thanks for following!

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 01:39:30 PM »

For me it's the middle top image where the orange characters seems to pop the most.  In the middle image there's lots of contrast between the light background and the black areas and my eyes tend to move to the bright background.  Also, the middle top image seems to be the most pleasing color wise. Smiley

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 03:11:15 PM »

Thanks! That palette will definitely be used somewhere in the game

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 02:54:44 PM »

YES.

Always a fan of surreal. Subscribed.

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
PsycheMac
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 07:45:32 PM »

Ha, this reminds me of some high contrast digital art I used to make a while ago. Maybe it can give some inspiration. It's cool to see a game's style going in this direction.

Twitter: @PsycheMac
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 09:54:56 AM »

I've still never played Myst.  Embarrassed

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 11:43:11 PM »

@amanfr01 - Thanks! Glad you like it

@PsycheMac - That's pretty cool! It's always inspiring to see experimental stuff like that. Glad you like how the game is looking!

@nathy after dark - I'm not sure I would have ever played it except that we had it when I was growing up. A lot of people seem to like it's sequel Riven better but I've always thought Myst had more variety with the look of it's worlds.

Sundrop
Level 1

Grandma cooks best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 02:09:06 AM »

Sun Switch
A Myst-like point-and-click adventure

Explore the countryside of Floorwood solving puzzles and navigating your strange surroundings.

I made these somewhat recently from photos I took around my room. I mainly just wanted to see if I could make a point and click game like Myst and I still don't know if I'll run into any project ending problems but I figure it might motivate me to work on this more if I started a devlog.

The palettes will vary for each location. I haven't decided on any other area palettes but I was experimenting with some potential ones here although they aren't as saturated and vary in contrast.

Wow! This looks good! *_*

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 04:25:35 PM »

Thanks!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic