Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 07:25:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioWould nintendo DMCA claim a video game that borrows soundfonts from OOT?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Would nintendo DMCA claim a video game that borrows soundfonts from OOT?  (Read 1126 times)
zarxto
« on: December 05, 2017, 02:50:44 AM »

Usually in any case if its illegal they'll take advantage of it from what i've seen. But is this 100% true? I've had a friend tell me that it's not illegal as nintendo used the soundfonts for Oot on a public library or something like that. Like All the sounds are from different keyboards and sample CDs is what he told me. Is he right on this?
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 06:54:50 AM »

Have you tried looking for the original source of the sounds? If you did find it, then it would be pretty clear cut whether or not you could use the sounds, right?

DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 06:21:49 PM »

The sfx would 100% fall under Nintendo's copyright. Whether they would care enough to ever go after game is another matter. Honestly probably not.

But if you're planning on selling your game at all, I would avoid it completely. Not worth the hassle or risk, and sound effects are a good thing to practice doing on your own.

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
zarxto
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 12:38:59 AM »

The sfx would 100% fall under Nintendo's copyright. Whether they would care enough to ever go after game is another matter. Honestly probably not.

But if you're planning on selling your game at all, I would avoid it completely. Not worth the hassle or risk, and sound effects are a good thing to practice doing on your own.

Well how come games that've used nintendo game soundfonts have went out under the rug completely fine? Like earthbounds stuff being used in many rpgs for example
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 04:56:14 AM »

You can make a sound sound exactly like Nintendo's sound. A sound idea is to be original and create your own sound.

Does this sound a sound idea?

Yeah.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic