Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:15:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingShadow Boss
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Shadow Boss  (Read 433 times)
Barbas
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2017, 04:51:36 AM »

Hey everyone I have just published my first game ever and I would like to invite anyone and everyone to give it a try, maybe provide some feedback and rate it if you desire to do so.

I do realize its not an amazing game and the graphics isn't the best either but im just starting.

Thanks in advance

https://www.kongregate.com/games/Barbasu/shadow-boss
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 09:20:05 AM »

The game could use some instructions of some sort.  I can't seem to figure out how to shoot.  I think I managed to equip a gun, but it was only after my first attempt that I even realized I needed to.

I'm not sure what those question marks are.  I assumed they would be instructions, but my character can't walk on them.

Visually, your game could use a lot more contrast.  At the very least, the player should stand out a bit more.  Since, in the dungeons, most of the screen is black, the character should have a bit more color to them so that they don't blend in with the shadows as much.

Anyway, hope that helps.   Coffee

Barbas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 12:47:40 PM »

Well in order to shoot you equip a weapon and simply reload, there is a bullet counter in left corner. I guess I can do a quick update and add some info at the game start or so.

The question marks were supposed to be a couple of things i didn't include such as raids etc.

I see what you are saying about the graphical side, I'm not too good in this department but im working on it. I will surely keep that in mind for future projects also.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 01:07:22 PM »

Well in order to shoot you equip a weapon and simply reload, there is a bullet counter in left corner. I guess I can do a quick update and add some info at the game start or so.

The problem with this is that for the first time player, it's not "equip the gun and simply reload".  It's "Figure out that you don't have a gun equipped.  Figure out that this game has shooting in it, and guess that it's not simply a game without shooting.  Figure out that the I button opens the inventory.  Figure out that the C button opens the character screen.  Combine that knowledge to equip the gun (the first time I played, I only figured out about the inventory screen, and moved the gun to those four squares at the bottom, which I figured were some sort of weapon quickslots, but it seems like I was mistaken (?).  Figure out that the gun takes ammo, and doesn't start with any.  Figure out that ammo isn't an item in the inventory, and you can reload without it.  Figure out that the R button reloads." 

I'm not saying there needs to be an extended tutorial or anything, but a few "here's how you do this" prompts, or, at the very least, a screen that tells you what the controls are (that you can access from both the start screen and the pause menu) are needed.

You can also do things like start the player with a loaded gun already equipped.  That way they can jump right into the game and will probably figure out that they can shoot.  If, later, they get a second gun, they will be more inclined to figure out how to use it.  Also, there should be a sound effect for when you try to shoot when you are out of ammo.  Feedback like that is a good way to let the player know that there is something needed of them, as opposed to letting them think that there's just something wrong with the game.

Having now successfully fired the gun, I can now say that bullet effect is really nice looking.

Also, at some point mashing all the keys on the keyboard trying to figure out what keys did things, I opened the Skill Tree, and I'm not sure how to close it.  (After again going through every key on the keyboard, I eventually discovered K was the key that opens and closes that window.  The window should have an X button like the inventory and character windows)

Barbas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 01:32:30 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, I will update the game soon. There is a basic info in game description with all the buttons though.

I guess you do have a point here, I created this game so i know it in and out but new player may have no idea at all as you said.

PS The skill/item bar is only useful if you have a couple of weapon and want to switch between them quick
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 01:42:30 PM by Barbas » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic