Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 06:52:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFantasy Reign - Diablo-like
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Fantasy Reign - Diablo-like  (Read 8678 times)
Henez
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2017, 08:27:32 PM »

Summary
Fantasy Reign is a Diablo-like ARPG inspired heavily by Path of Exile and Diablo 2 in terms of game play, customisation and itemisation mixed with storytelling and world building of NES era RPGs like old time Final Fantasy and Dragon Quests.

Tech
Engine: Game Maker Studio 1
Art: Photoshop
Audio: Sunvox
Video: Sony Vegas

Media (All lists are newest to oldest)
Game:

Reign Drops (Blog + Vid coupled series on aspects of Fantasy Reign)

Progress Posts

Music / Promo:

Meta:

Who is Fantasy Reign for?
Fantasy Reign is for new comers to the diablo-like genre as well as veterans. A lot of the really complicated and unintuitive mechanics have been simplified or clarified and simple levelling routes and skill selection are provided to ensure a smooth newcomer experience for the duration of the story.

Veterans will find that the huge amount of customisation options and not-so-obvious synergies will provide a satisfying and challenging play through particularly for post-game questing. My aim is to compete with the big boys of the industry in terms of mechanical depth that will allow fanatics like myself to invest 100's and maybe even 1000's of hours.

Features
  • Fast-paced, Crowd blasting game play.
  • Tons of skills to build around and master. Each skill has its own individual skill development tree.
  • 9 playable classes are planned each with there own alignment on the STR DEX INT table which influences their stat growth as well as unique Fantasy upgrades akin to those of Path of Exiles Ascendancy system.
  • Itemisation that made diablo 2 so addictive combined with crafting options that Path of Exiles currency system popularised that really rewards item affix knowledge.
  • Hugely customisable levelling through your assigned classes attribute tree combined with the Memory Board that acts like a personalised passive skill tree.
  • Discover the disjointed worlds of Fantasy Reign created through the synthetic indexer by completing quests that progress the storyline as well as optional quests that open up new areas to farm.
  • Fantasy Reign is all about re-playability and collection. Discover all the possible Unique items, Memory fragments, Rare currencies and charms. Exploit each classes unique traits and combine them to theorise your own character build.

Feature Album (imgur)

Me
Online I go by Henez or HenezRS. I'm the lone developer of Fantasy Reign. I've been working on this project since June 2016 full time (mostly). It is very much a labour of love for me having over 3000 hours in Path of Exile and a good amount in Diablo 2, Diablo 3 and Grim Dawn. My hope is to market this game and develop a community around it.

This Blog
I have two main aims with this blog:
  • Updates on my progress, what I've worked on recently
  • In-depth looks into specific features (Items, skills, classes etc.)
The ideal would be weekly updates on both of these things but I'm not quite sure yet how much I'll manage. I intend to be very active on both this blog as well as my youtube content to promote Fantasy Reign.

Thank you
I very much appreciate everyone taking time to discover this project, especially
those who engage and share feedback with me. If you like what you see please let me know : ).

« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 11:24:26 AM by Henez » Logged

LegionAbid
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 01:21:06 AM »

This is great henez, very interesting. Good to see you back btw. Good luck on your game.
Hyrow
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 08:02:57 PM »

Man, this actually looks really nice, keep up the good work Henez.
FireSKBR
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 08:05:11 PM »

It really seems to be a great game with great potential, I will recommend it to my PoE friends.
Henez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 01:59:34 AM »

@LegionAbid
@Hyrow
@FireSKBR

Thanks for the encouragement fellas :^].

This past week i've been working on preparing the first episode in a series of development videos for Fantasy Reign where I take an in-depth look at a feature of the game. The first video being on the skill system.

Here's a sneak at some of the mechanics that will be explained using a starting bow skill Cold Volley:
https://imgur.com/a/iLK9f

I'm thinking I'd like to aim for a video every two weeks and a short post here every week. Still figuring out how I can balance development and communication. Anyways keep the feedback coming! Thanks : )

faborro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 03:08:42 PM »

Sounds like a really ambitious project, but it looks neat atm! I hope it turns out great cause I'm ready to spent 100's of hours into it Beer! Looking forward to your progress  Smiley

BLOODQWEN
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 01:31:19 PM »

Interesting project. I'm waiting for more details. I also tried to feel the style of your art works. Here are my attempts. : )
https://i.imgur.com/RkdcjZ4.png
tuckbeard
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 05:17:33 PM »

This is really cool! What do you use to develop this?
Henez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 05:23:27 PM »

Sounds like a really ambitious project, but it looks neat atm! I hope it turns out great cause I'm ready to spent 100's of hours into it Beer! Looking forward to your progress  Smiley

Thanks Smiley!

Interesting project. I'm waiting for more details. I also tried to feel the style of your art works. Here are my attempts. : )
https://i.imgur.com/RkdcjZ4.png

Your boots icon is much better than mine :^] nice work. For GUI elements i'm going very minimalist.

This is really cool! What do you use to develop this?

Thanks! Devving in GM Studio 1. Art in photoshop and sound/music in sunvox.

joey4track
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 08:53:35 PM »

Awesome, really cool style and I'm loving the music too, you are doing that yourself as well? Impressive!
BLOODQWEN
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 01:03:04 AM »

Hello. I have something for you.
I studied the game palette and tried to apply it in my arts.It took some time, but I did it. :^)
Hope you like it guys.

https://imgur.com/a/xdBwJ
Rhatos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 05:28:38 AM »

This looks really great, I'm loving the dashes.

Keep it up!

The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 11:12:44 AM »

why did you include the dashes

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
Baxter
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 07:50:50 PM »

Being a fan of Path of Exile myself I really appreciate the influences this seems to take. The generic bonuses like "skill multitude" seem like a good choice for the itemisation, keep it up.
Henez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 07:27:27 AM »

Awesome, really cool style and I'm loving the music too, you are doing that yourself as well? Impressive!
Thanks! Everything shown here is (currently) done by myself :^]

Hello. I have something for you.
I studied the game palette and tried to apply it in my arts.It took some time, but I did it. :^)
Hope you like it guys.

https://imgur.com/a/xdBwJ
These look great! Thanks for sharing : )

This looks really great, I'm loving the dashes.

Keep it up!
Thanks! Achieving high rates of attack speed for smooth mobility skill usage was always a satisfying reward for me in diablo/PoE. Something I definitely want Fantasy Reign to capture.

why did you include the dashes
I'm not sure what you mean. Sorry.

Being a fan of Path of Exile myself I really appreciate the influences this seems to take. The generic bonuses like "skill multitude" seem like a good choice for the itemisation, keep it up.
Thanks! I always enjoyed the side-utility kind of stats in PoE like increased Area of skills and added projectiles. It makes for more interesting scaling decisions than just 'which option gets me the higher dps'

Thanks everyone for the great comments. I very much appreciate the encouragement! I'm still hoping to get a big blog post out soon coupled with a video!

Henez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 01:54:22 AM »

Reign Drops 1: Skill Augmenting

Fantasy Reign: 'Reign Drops' ep.1: Skill Augmenting

Pic: Variations of the Cold Volley skill using the Skill Tree.

Key Points:
  • Each Skill has it's own personalised Skill Tree.
  • Skill Points that progress the Skill Tree are gained from equipping Helmet and Body slot items. Up to 3 per slot for a maximum total of 6 spendable points (this was neglected in the video, my mistake!)
  • Key Nodes: Only 1 of these may be allocated per skill. Provide powerful transformations to the skill. Generally your first priority in progressing a skill.
  • Minor Nodes: Everything else. Bonuses vary from numerical (+damage, +attack speed, +extra projectiles) to minor transformations (projectiles are bigger, projectiles bounce off walls)
  • Unique Items can also provide skill specific transformations to skills (similar to most diablolikes)

Skill Tree
Skill Example: Cold Volley Transformations
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 02:10:52 AM by Henez » Logged

Henez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 07:35:16 AM »

Recent Progress: Enemy Variety

For about the past month I worked mainly on creating a huge variety of spells for players to play around with. Now the enemies need to catch up. I've been working on adding more variety in enemies. Particularly ones that pose a threat to players as a good portion of the current enemies act more like a herd of sheep for players to blast rather than posing a real threat (unless you're really under-geared).

Have some GIFs.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 12:21:02 PM by Henez » Logged

BLOODQWEN
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 07:50:53 AM »

*Boob* Just another sprite pack! Have a nice day! :^)

https://imgur.com/a/CH8Rn
BLOODQWEN
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 09:21:24 PM »

Pew Pew! Its me again with new sprite pack for you. Hope you like it. ;^)
https://imgur.com/a/ktLDT
Piros
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2018, 09:23:41 AM »

Being a gamer not typically Interested in the diablo-like genre, I was surprised to be so drawn in after watching your skill augmenting video. Will definitely be lurking to view progress. Are you eventually aiming to market your game on Steam?
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic