Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:24:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFantasy Reign - Diablo-like
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Fantasy Reign - Diablo-like  (Read 8679 times)
Henez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2018, 12:24:21 PM »

Pew Pew! Its me again with new sprite pack for you. Hope you like it. ;^)
https://imgur.com/a/ktLDT
As usual these are great! When I get around to reviewing items I'll likely reference these.

Being a gamer not typically Interested in the diablo-like genre, I was surprised to be so drawn in after watching your skill augmenting video. Will definitely be lurking to view progress. Are you eventually aiming to market your game on Steam?
Thanks! I'm happy the video had an impact on you considering I feel I can do a better job for future videos. I do intend to market this on steam likely with some sort of early access scheme.

Henez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2018, 12:31:09 PM »

Recent Progress: Enemy Variety 2

My recent work has continued to focus on enemy variety. I feel now I've more than enough variety for a good while (at least for a demo version) with over 20 enemies that each have unique visuals and 'mostly' unique behaviour (recolours aren't really an option with the distinct enemy red I've been sticking with).

My next work will likely involve quest progression work and structuring the project for a demo release within a few months.

Here are some of the enemies in question:

Henez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 06:33:03 AM »

Reign Drops 2: Quests

Pic: Camp

Key Points:
  • Player hangs out in a hub town similar to diablo/poe.
  • Towns contain a quest board that shows available quests.
  • Story line quests are denoted with a star image.
  • Quests can have different goals rather than reaching the end of said dungeon. The example in the video has the player clearing 4 of a specific enemy type on the final floor.

Pic: Quest viewer

555-5555
TIGBaby

Just a Fan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2018, 05:07:59 AM »

Looking really nice Henez, I can definitely see myself playing this, being an ARPG fan. I gotta ask though; will there be multiplayer? 
Henez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2018, 04:13:22 AM »

Looking really nice Henez, I can definitely see myself playing this, being an ARPG fan. I gotta ask though; will there be multiplayer? 

Thanks! No plans for multiplayer just yet. That'll likely depend on the projects success and demand for it : ).

Hushur
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2018, 07:34:15 AM »

Good job Henez! I have been really keen on to this project since you've started, can't wait to see more!  Blink
  By the way, I hope the storyline for this will be a lot longer at the end-time, but so far still good.
  + (is there gonna be some (smooth shading / lights / rendering / fx) on top of the retro pixel style, or are you keeping it low and simple?)

Good luck!  Toast Right
Henez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2018, 11:07:32 AM »

Good job Henez! I have been really keen on to this project since you've started, can't wait to see more!  Blink
  By the way, I hope the storyline for this will be a lot longer at the end-time, but so far still good.
  + (is there gonna be some (smooth shading / lights / rendering / fx) on top of the retro pixel style, or are you keeping it low and simple?)

Good luck!  Toast Right

Thanks! :^]

I've had a detailed narrative in mind since the start of the project that i'd like to explore and implement but my biggest priority is getting something playable and fun up. Same line of thinking applies to extra effects such as the ones you've suggested. There's a lot of nice things I'd like to try in the future to make the game more visually appealing but I should wait until I can get some good user feedback.

Kebbab
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2018, 06:55:04 AM »

Hi mate,

I have also been immediately drawn by the gifs. It is clear that you are really in love in the genre.

Even though the art is simplistic I think people won't care after they see how satisfying the combat looks like.

I'm also a solo developer with a goal to put the love to hack n'slash (and in my case coop) genre into my game..

However, I noticed that I spend a lot of time on art while being often pretty lazy on scripting some cool stuff. I saw the grenade launching eye monsters on your gifs and I was like "Damn this looks wayyyy more fun than fighting my berserker which I have spent many hours drawing and animating..."

Keep up the good work. No doubt you will achieve success.

You should definitely check out Dungeons of the Fallen https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=922194713. I need to dust off my devlog but I would really love to see your feedback.

Henez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2018, 05:11:28 AM »

Hi mate,

I have also been immediately drawn by the gifs. It is clear that you are really in love in the genre.

Even though the art is simplistic I think people won't care after they see how satisfying the combat looks like.

I'm also a solo developer with a goal to put the love to hack n'slash (and in my case coop) genre into my game..

However, I noticed that I spend a lot of time on art while being often pretty lazy on scripting some cool stuff. I saw the grenade launching eye monsters on your gifs and I was like "Damn this looks wayyyy more fun than fighting my berserker which I have spent many hours drawing and animating..."

Keep up the good work. No doubt you will achieve success.

You should definitely check out Dungeons of the Fallen https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=922194713. I need to dust off my devlog but I would really love to see your feedback.

Thanks for the kind words!

I really like the observation you've provided about the feelings you have on maybe spending too much time perfecting one piece of art because it's something i've tried to force myself to avoid from the start. Art is by no means my strength and is not the focus of this project. Rather the focus is to emulate that horde blasting game play that diablo fans love. I've tried very much for quantity over quality.

That being said, your berserker dude does stand out as a great set piece on your steam page and tells me that your game will have some intense encounters. It's good to have a few 'spotlight' art pieces for marketing.

I'll check out your blog and game in more detail when I get the time. On first glance I noticed your environments are very nice. Particularly like the green foresty temple looking one from the steam pictures. I'll post more on your blog when I check it out (the last post being may 2017 makes me a bit confused as to where you're at with your project though).

Thanks again  Coffee

Henez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2018, 11:19:00 AM »

Reign Drops 3: Levelling Tree

Key Points:
  • Each level up grants an attribute point that can be placed into 1 of 4 stat nodes
  • Each attribute point spent progresses the attribute tree. Every 3 points allows 1 point to be allocated into the class-specific attribute tree.
  • After a certain quest. The memory board is unlocked. A 3x3 modular grid
  • Use memory fragments to dynamically alter the memory board with options for stating up
  • Memory fragments are rewarded from quests or found as random drops

Zozuh
Level 0

Creative Advertising and Graphic Design

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2018, 07:39:38 AM »

Hi!

I've been lurking on the progress of this game for a while and I must say, it looks phenomenal! I'm so invested in it and I can't wait to see how big of a success it's going to be! I have no doubt it will rival games such as Diablo 2, and with a lot of TLC, it could even become the new face of ARPG and Hack n Slash. Overall, the artwork is definitely beautiful, it is all working together in harmony at the moment, sticking with one theme and presenting the game in the best light possible. The name of the game itself feels so perfect for what it is, and definitely gives people a sense of intricate and immersive this game is going to be. Your progress videos are really nice to watch, and I am so happy with the path you're taking; working on detailed and intricate skill trees and setups that are much loved by current Diablo fans and fans of similar games. This feature is what really defines this genre in my opinion, the freedom of customisation is definitely the idea you want to focus on. I also have a few questions regarding the game and its future:

1. How detailed is the narrative of the gameplay likely to be? Is it going to be quite linear like in Diablo? Or extremely immersive and meaningful to the game and it's features? I know this is a tough one to answer as it's in early stages.

2. How big is the pool of items and abilities going to be? Are you aiming to start at a decent amount and work on implementing more as the game's story becomes more in depth? Or are you going to focus more on creating a few core items such as Set Items in Diablo, which players can then experiment with combinations of combos and gear. Perhaps you could restrict the use of Set Items and instead try making the game COMPLETELY free to combine things, expanding the possible gear combos hugely?

3. Being a solo project, does this mean you reject any propositions to help with narrative lines, items descriptions, character development, social media marketing, etc? If not I'd love to enquire more.

Hope you can get back to me!
Cheers  Gomez
Henez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2018, 07:03:57 PM »

@Zozuh

Wow that's quite a lot to process! Thanks very much for the kind words Smiley. I'll have a go at answering your questions one at a time.

1. Narrative is very core to the design I have in mind. The overarching theme of Fantasy Reign is exploring the ideals individuals have at what a perfectly engineered world would look like and the risks and ethical dilemmas that enforcing such an "ideal fantasy" would incur. The questing system compliments this. While there will be a linear diablo-esque story, there will be additional story lines that are sprinkled throughout the story and post-game. These will tie in to the themes presented in the unique items and memory board pieces that you discover.

That being said, as a large scale project and likely a candidate for early access. Story elements may have to take a back seat and be built upon over time.

2. Huge. The complexity of item choices, skill customisation, stat tree development and class selection needs to satisfy my own thirst or I simply won't be content. There currently are no 'set' items in the diablo as i don't think they make decision making for gearing too interesting. I might make some unique items intentionally synergistic with other items but i'd rather the player gain the satisfaction of making these discoveries themselves.

These systems are endlessly expandable. It's really a matter of how financially viable and how desirable to the user base it is for me to keep pumping out content. I'd love this game to have 5000 unique items if there is demand for it. One of the beautiful things of developing a community around the game is that I can also get ideas from the fans.

3. So far I haven't accepted any partnerships per say, such as people willing to do art or music for the game. Part of the drive to make this game was to develop all of the skills and be exposed to all of the challenges in developing and marketing a game. It may not remain this way. The financial viability will be a determining factor in if I decide to recruit help.

That being said, the example labours you listed "narrative lines, items descriptions, character development" are the kinds of things i'd like to develop a community for and have that same community help out with. These aren't really "jobs" in the same sense that being an artist is. If a community member had an idea I really liked for a quest line or a suggestion to correct certain item descriptions or unique item flavor then i'd be happy to implement.

Although none of the theme related stuff can really be altered until I get the game out. It doesn't make sense for anyone to suggest anything when they don't have a picture of the universe they are adding to.

Thanks again for the detailed question and your interest in Fantasy Reign!  Coffee

Henez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2018, 07:14:08 PM »

Reign Drops 4: Binary Stats

Key Points:
  • Binary stats are large 'on or off' bonuses similar to Path of Exiles Keynodes.
  • They can be gained from a number of sources such as the memory board, unique items, skill bonuses etc.
  • Examples shown are the binary stats Brutalism, Enchanted and Proliferate.
  • Brutalism: x1.3 Attack Damage, x0.5 Critical strike chance, Can no longer apply elemental ailments.
  • Enchanted: x1.1 Elemental Damage, Chance to apply elemental ailments x3.0, Can no longer deal critical strikes.
  • Proliferate: Elemental ailments spread to nearby enemies on application.
  • Binary stats can be a level between 1 and 10. Granting increased bonuses with higher levels.
  • Binary stat levels are granted through the same sources; memory board, unique items, skill bonuses etc.
  • Binary stats need to be gained before levels will benefit them. Bonuses to 'Proliferate level' will do nothing if there
    is no source of the Proliferate stat.

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2018, 02:21:03 AM »

I love the art style!

On topic

Binary stats need to be gained before levels will benefit them. Bonuses to 'Proliferate level' will do nothing if there

Maybe forbid taking bonuses to Proliferate if you don't have the requisite stat?
Zozuh
Level 0

Creative Advertising and Graphic Design

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2018, 03:33:47 AM »

Maybe forbid taking bonuses to Proliferate if you don't have the requisite stat?

A work around for this could be to simply implement the option to hold skill points. But I'm fairly sure he mentioned the ability to constantly respec stats, however I'm not 100% sure
Henez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2018, 09:30:48 PM »

I love the art style!

On topic

Binary stats need to be gained before levels will benefit them. Bonuses to 'Proliferate level' will do nothing if there

Thanks! As Zozuh mentioned there is currently unrestricted respeccing so mistakes are easily reversible. Often sources for binary stats will also contain other bonuses which may be even more sought after so restricting options as a safety for users can be pretty inconvenient.

The stat interface lists what binaries are active and what level they are active at so players can verify that a binary stat is working as they had planned for. If these rules prove confusing I can add clarity tool tips in various places as well. It's a good consideration though thanks for bringing it to light!

akoluthic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2018, 04:05:51 AM »

This looks really cool.  What are the controls like?  It looks like keyboard/controller movement and mouse UI interaction.

Twitter | Soundtrack and trailer composer - worked on:CRAWL, Soviet Jump Game (Game Grumps), PULSAR: Lost Colony, and others. Currently solo developing Chrysalis
Henez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2018, 06:40:13 AM »

This looks really cool.  What are the controls like?  It looks like keyboard/controller movement and mouse UI interaction.

Thanks! WASD movement. Skills are used with: LClick, RClick, Q, E, and Space. Mouse cursor for aiming skills and interacting with UI. There are miscellaneous shortcuts as well for interfaces such as Z for skills. I intend everything to be rebind-able of course. Currently no controller support but it's something I expect to be requested in the future.

BLOODQWEN
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2018, 02:13:11 PM »

Still there tbh.
TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2018, 03:24:40 PM »

Has a cool SNES asethetic to it, looks like some Twin-Stick goodness! Be great to play this on a mobile device

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

Explore the Cosmos. Working on Project 88x doods.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic