Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:57:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitions[CANCELED]SpaceBuild: Special Op | Vaporware Compo Entry
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [CANCELED]SpaceBuild: Special Op | Vaporware Compo Entry  (Read 4869 times)
lulzapricot
Level 0

om nom nom

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2009, 05:25:23 PM »

Allright, for The Vaporware Competition I've decided to make SpaceBuild: Special Op

The game itself will be a top-down shmup where you control a SpecOp with special abilities allowing you to conquer some alienss ass. There will also be an intriguing[hopefully] storyline.

Unfortunately though, I've never played the actual StarCraft, so this will be based almost entirely on what a knowledgable friend of mine tells me about it.(so dont get your panties in a bundle if you are a starcraft fan, and I do it all wrong, which I'm very sorry if I do) ..Maybe it would be better if I made the main character an actual ghost?  Like the "Boo!" white ghost?  Would make for an interesting demake.

Also, hope nobody minds if I use this thread as a sort of DevLog. Wink
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 04:37:31 PM by lulzapricot » Logged
ForTheUSSR
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 08:33:52 PM »

Interesting, we're doing the same game!  Mine is a top down game, too, but not really a scrolling shooter.  It's more of a stealth/action game kind of like MGS for the MSX.
lulzapricot
Level 0

om nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 08:57:36 PM »

@USSR: Sounds like fun, as long as it isn't

you might be refering to. Wink  Speaking of stealth , my game will have a sort of failo stealth system as well. I don't want that to be the point of the game though.
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 11:10:38 PM »

Cool, man! I look forward to seeing what you do with this :D

Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 04:03:25 AM »

I misread that as "fellatio stealth system" and got rad ideas.
lulzapricot
Level 0

om nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 10:24:42 AM »

I misread that as "fellatio stealth system" and got rad ideas.

Hee hee, oh gosh :-)
lulzapricot
Level 0

om nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 04:36:54 PM »

Sorry everyone, but this project has been getting me down way too much.  I made a large design document, planned out alot of the game, wrote a story and script, wrote a small little base of the engine... Everything was going good, but then I started work on making the actual in game graphics.  I had an extremely hard time with this though and ended up deciding to rip graphics directly from StarCraft.  That worked for making maps but it was alot of work so I scaled the game down to one level, and decided to remove alot of mechanics and simplify the storyline to a single paragraph.  Dispite some success with making maps like this it very demoralised to me.  I feel horrible using other's work without their permission like this, which really hit me when I wrote a small legal text I planned to display upon starting the game that would make sure the player understood that this was for purposes of parady and wasn't endorsed by Blizzard or made by Blizzard etc.  My expectations kept lowering, I kept scrapping work, I was loosing all interest...  Demaking just isn't my thing I guess. Sorry.  Sad

I'll leave you with this mockup, just for the heck of it:

Anyways... Good luck to everyone else in the Vaporware Competition.
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 06:54:23 PM »

So does this mean fellatio stealth is up for grabs?
lulzapricot
Level 0

om nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 08:28:18 PM »

So does this mean fellatio stealth is up for grabs?

yes. Smiley
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 09:52:32 PM »

Unfortunately though, I've never played the actual StarCraft, so this will be based almost entirely on what a knowledgable friend of mine tells me about it.

I think this would actually result in the best possible version of this game.

Don't worry about ripping graphics. If it really bothers you, just make some really crappy art in MS Paint.

PaleFox
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 07:33:08 AM »

For a second I though it said "Spatial Op." I am vaguely disappointed it is not.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic