Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 02:44:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessDependance on in-game advertisers is not how to fight piracy
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Dependance on in-game advertisers is not how to fight piracy  (Read 4767 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2009, 07:17:07 AM »

another thing is that even if you use advertising you don't have to just automatically accept every advertiser. you can refuse some advertisers you disagree with (and many things do that -- television does it, magazines do it). if you don't like advertising for some particular product, don't: you can set who is allowed to advertise in your games or not. so i don't see how the morality issue enters into it. you could even exclusively advertise for other indie game developers, indie musicians, etc. if you like.

Tom Sennett
Level 3

Indie Game Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2009, 01:26:06 PM »

You'll always be "a slave" to whoever is signing your checks.

The main difference between being a slave to advertisers and being a slave to players is that advertisers are always willing to actually sign those checks.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2009, 01:33:00 PM »

i agree, although i think his point was that eventually you'll wind up making games that appeal to the tastes of corporations rather than games that appeal to the tastes of players. but i don't really think that's a big danger, because what appeals to advertisers is usually what appeals to players (since all advertisers want is for you to make games that as many people as possible will play).

Movius
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 08:19:46 AM »

(since all advertisers want is for you to make games that as many people as possible will play).
going to have to correct you there...

All advertisers want is for you to make games that as many people as possible, that have money and are willing to spend it on things they like, will play.

Which is why its so unpopular amongst indie game players.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 08:26:19 AM »

that is true, but i don't think the effect is that strong. i mean, flash games tend to be far more creative and interesting (at least to me) than mainstream games, yet flash games are created for ad money and mainstream games are created for gamer money.

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 09:29:21 AM »

(since all advertisers want is for you to make games that as many people as possible will play).
going to have to correct you there...

All advertisers want is for you to make games that as many people as possible, that have money and are willing to spend it on things they like, will play.

Which is why its so unpopular amongst indie game players.

Let's refine this a bit more.

Advertisers want your product to sell to a demographic, and to sell well to that demographic.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic