Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:09:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGraveyard Birds - Be a bird! Rescue your friends! Escape from bird ghosts!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Graveyard Birds - Be a bird! Rescue your friends! Escape from bird ghosts!  (Read 5617 times)
El-Metallico
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2018, 11:19:02 PM »

If you still need a level maker, I'd be glad to help Tongue
Hey! We decided that Daniel will make levels by himsef - and, man, these levels are amazing, but thank you for offer, appreciate it!

« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 11:49:21 PM by El-Metallico » Logged

Game music composer and pixelartist.
Music Portfolio 
Pixelart Portfolio
dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2018, 10:59:11 AM »

Hey guys! We've been hard at work polishing up the demo. Not a whole lot of exciting news, but we've fixed a ton of bugs, but we've been doing a ton of polish works, and smoothing rough edges. Here is some of the work we've done:

• Fixed up hitboxes on many of the enemies/objects. It shouldn't feel like you randomly miss your target cause your aim was slightly off.
  • Added tutorial signs + arrows to many of the early levels. Hopefully, this will make it clear how to control the game, and get through it, as was discussed in a previous entry.
  • Feature complete on game mechanics + art. From here on out there's just some polishing to happen, but everything that's planned to be in the game is implemented  Beer! As part of this, we have our 3rd buddy implemented and used in a bunch of levels! They're pretty cool, and make big changes to how you can traverse levels. But you'll find out about them in the full game Wink.
  • Built out the main menu, with a full options menu + level select. This stuff may sound boring, but it's really important for a finished game! Now you can easily skip back to old levels to replay them, or jump to the level you left off at last time you played.
  • Added an aiming guide. A number of people have given us the feedback that can be pretty hard to aim (especially with ricochets!) and we agreed. Many stages require you to conserve shots, and it feels bad if you just barely miss what you need to hit and have to restart the level! We've spent some time thinking about the problem, and hopefully our solution helps. When shooting, you can hold LMB to bring up an aiming guide.
  • lots of little things - additional variations of the background clouds, new sound effects, loads of bugfixes (for example, fullscreen works correctly now), etc.

The new version of the demo is online, and ready for people to check out! If you play it, please let us know what you think!

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 11:33:13 AM by dspencer » Logged

michelmohr
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2018, 12:15:12 PM »

Cool game, love the graphics and the transition. Perhaps it feels like it needs a pixelated transition though.
To give feedback, I was almost closing it when I tried clicking my mouse to activate the lever. Only then did I notice it left sign wasn't a pair of eyes but a mouse. Perhaps make the mouse on the sign not the same colour as the background. Smiley  

Bug(?) report:
1. I noticed that in the first level that another Penguin shows up, when I clicked them, a totem popped up in the middle of the level. I tried this when on that position and I got completely stuck between colliders I assume.
2. In the first level with an enemy, I killed all enemies but the green arrow stayed on the position the first enemy was.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 12:25:53 PM by michelmohr » Logged

dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2018, 12:35:33 PM »

Cool game, love the graphics and the transition. Perhaps it feels like it needs a pixelated transition though.
To give feedback, I was almost closing it when I tried clicking my mouse to activate the lever. Only then did I notice it left sign wasn't a pair of eyes but a mouse. Perhaps make the mouse on the sign not the same colour as the background. Smiley  [quote

Bug(?) report:
1. I noticed that in the first level that another Penguin shows up, when I clicked them, a totem popped up in the middle of the level. I tried this when on that position and I got completely stuck between colliders I assume.
2. In the first level with an enemy, I killed all enemies but the green arrow stayed on the position the first enemy was.

This is very useful feedback. Thank you!

When you got stuck, did you know to press R to restart? We have that on a sign in the second level, hopefully it's clear! We're gonna fix the fact that you can get stuck at all, but we just haven't gotten to it yet... sorry!  Beg

qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2018, 01:54:57 PM »

Not bad for a demo! And wow that soundtrack. Very chilling. Reminds me of Diablo original Tristram theme, but also mixed in with a little "X Files" sound effects, and a mixed with some melodramatic track from an old game installer:

El-Metallico
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2018, 11:13:43 PM »

michelmohr

Thanks for feedback!

qMopey
Thanks for kind words, man, it's really inspiring! Coffee
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 11:26:15 PM by El-Metallico » Logged

Game music composer and pixelartist.
Music Portfolio 
Pixelart Portfolio
Nikolas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2018, 03:25:20 AM »

I checked out the new demo, nice progress!
Some feedback:
- If you shoot a fireball while walking, the player stops moving for a short time. This does not feel good to me.
- When holding down the mouse button to aim, I didn't found a way to stop aiming without shooting. So when I start to aim and decide to not shoot, there is no way to abort.
- Why can't I move the player while aiming?

bynine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2018, 09:16:55 AM »

this was an enjoyable demo! i don't normally like puzzle games much but this felt more like problem solving since you can be creative with how you throw fireballs, and the inclusion of action elements keeps it fresh.

• some of the conveyance is confusing, like how leaving behind a partner will raise and lower totems, and how having a partner changes your shot. a player can learn these quickly enough but as it stands the relations between these gameplay aspects and the visuals/thematics feel very arbitrary.
  • i did miss the sign that told me i could restart with r, which led to some unnecessary fiddling.
  • my most significant issue: you can't seem to cancel fireballs once you begin lining up the shot. many times i accidentally began lining up a shot too early and had to restart the level because i had to waste that fireball.
  • controls work well and never get in the way
  • the graphics are nice, very austere and easy to read. this game has a unique atmosphere i haven't really seen other places.

https://bynine.itch.io/ - check out my games here!
dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2018, 08:58:43 PM »

Hey yall! Sorry for the lack of updates - been out of town for a bit, and while we've been making progress we haven't had time to share any of it here.

Thanks for the really helpful feedback - with your help, we found a lot of things to improve from the demo version, and we're working on making a new build to address them. It's funny how a lot of things that seem clear to someone *making* the game end up not always being clear to players.... Or how you think something is an edge case, and then nearly *every* player runs into the problem. But that's the point of playtesting, so thank you all!  Coffee.

Coming soon, you won't be able to get stuck in the middle of obstacles, and all things around buddies should be clearer +  more polished. Plus.... We're hoping to get this game content complete around the end of next week. So if you played the demo and enjoyed it, get hype!

See you all soon, with some new levels in tow!

dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2018, 05:23:05 AM »

Hey yall,

I've sorta dropped the ball on keeping the devlog updated - My bad! But believe me, we've been putting in a lot of work polishing the game up with all the feedback we've gotten. And now, we're nearly ready to launch!

Without further ado, get Graveyard Birds on Steam! I'm really excited to be able to release it - we've been working really hard on putting this game together, and I think it's come together really nicely. Please check it out and mash that wishlist button  Coffee

dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2018, 09:20:51 AM »

We've got an official launch date - March 8th.

In the meantime, check out the trailer!

dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2018, 05:14:39 PM »

EVERYBODY - GRAVEYARD BIRDS COMES OUT TOMORROW!!  GET EXCITED!

store.steampowered.com/app/808360/Graveyard_Birds/

dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2018, 09:25:43 AM »

One last bump - we are officially go! Get the full game for $5 on steam! http://store.steampowered.com/app/808360/Graveyard_Birds/

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic