Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:31:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignStory Driven Action Platformer - Is it even possible?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Story Driven Action Platformer - Is it even possible?  (Read 3534 times)
Rhatos
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 23, 2017, 05:03:46 PM »

Now before you think I'm a bit stupid. Let me explain myself.

Think of an almost side-scroller action game, lots of bullets flying around etc. But with a deep story that is actually meaningful to the player.

It sounds just odd to me.

When I think action game, what I mean really is a game with that sort of arcade feel of bullets flying everywhere, screen-shake, silly guns and so on.

So if you add a serious story to that, I feel as if it won't feel so serious anymore.

Does anyone have any examples of a game like this? I can't think of any on the top of my head and want to start a discussion on it.

Baldrick
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 06:21:50 AM »

try this, this is arcade style with great story and quests

http://store.steampowered.com/app/269650/Dex/
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 11:23:39 AM »

If you mean only 2D, maybe Zelda II on NES, I am not sure how deep was the story. Probably every 2d platform, expecially the new ones, do not contains any complex story, I think for various reasons, like copying the same feeling of old games like Shovel Knight, and same feeling means also do not add too much story details. And also if you are making a 2d platform, you focus on the gameplay side, and you sacrifice work time on other things, like story. Think about RPGs and animations such as jumping and talking. A sort of unbalanced trade off.

If you consider 3D, we can talk about Jak and Dexter, or Ratchet and Clank. Maybe with the 3d generations on PS2 era, there were some form of evolution in other aspects of the platform genre. Then as we know, the platform died, only these past years thanks to indie we had a reborn of this genre... who knows what would had happened if platformers did not died and had been continued to evolve until today, maybe some sort of Assassin's Creed... or we could consider 3d action games as the successor of the old platformer.

Games:

Rhatos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 02:47:05 PM »

If you mean only 2D, maybe Zelda II on NES, I am not sure how deep was the story. Probably every 2d platform, expecially the new ones, do not contains any complex story, I think for various reasons, like copying the same feeling of old games like Shovel Knight, and same feeling means also do not add too much story details. And also if you are making a 2d platform, you focus on the gameplay side, and you sacrifice work time on other things, like story. Think about RPGs and animations such as jumping and talking. A sort of unbalanced trade off.

If you consider 3D, we can talk about Jak and Dexter, or Ratchet and Clank. Maybe with the 3d generations on PS2 era, there were some form of evolution in other aspects of the platform genre. Then as we know, the platform died, only these past years thanks to indie we had a reborn of this genre... who knows what would had happened if platformers did not died and had been continued to evolve until today, maybe some sort of Assassin's Creed... or we could consider 3d action games as the successor of the old platformer.

Yeah, I've come to the realisation that it's not entirely possible without much sacrifice and watering down of actual gameplay. I was originally going to create a deep lore for a 2D platformer, but thinking about it more in depth, it's not really going to work with the amount of action and shooting I'll want.

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 06:45:33 AM »

You could focus on what you want to communicate to the player... a deep story do not need a strong gameplay, really. Even the audience is different, who plays your game for the gameplay, it will not complain about lack of story. It is more difficult in my opinion to satisfy the other side, and if the story is very powerful (see To the Moon) the lack of gameplay is not a problem.

I would not worry about story, if the gameplay is mediocre, a more mediocre story will not save it.

Games:

-Ross
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 08:25:16 AM »

I don't see why you couldn't do it. What about games like Ori and the Blind Forest, Hollow Knight, or Flashback? I suppose those may have less over-the-top and silly gameplay than you are thinking of?

Rhatos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 10:13:12 AM »

I don't see why you couldn't do it. What about games like Ori and the Blind Forest, Hollow Knight, or Flashback? I suppose those may have less over-the-top and silly gameplay than you are thinking of?

I suppose that I'm thinking more, Nuclear Throne action but with a more in-depth story. An almost darker story, so much that it gives off a really serious vibe.

I'm just not sure how that fits into an action platformer.

The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 01:14:56 PM »

the dark souls of action platformers

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
Rhatos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 02:53:00 PM »

the dark souls of action platformers

Sortof, just not as hard.  Shrug

The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 03:06:03 PM »

first you should probably ask yourself what your idea of an engaging story is

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 03:10:54 PM »

story based action platformer with bullet flying around?

Play Iji, it's free
http://www.remar.se/daniel/iji.php

Rhatos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 04:25:52 PM »

story based action platformer with bullet flying around?

Play Iji, it's free
http://www.remar.se/daniel/iji.php

I actually enjoyed playing it, obviously I didn't finish it. But I was really getting into the story. It actually made me think ahead about what is going to happen. The soundtrack was really nice also.

I also liked the RPG sort of elements to it, really added a certain uniqueness. But I gotta admit, the controls were hard to get into.

Nevertheless, it has actually given me some inspiration. Thanks for sharing it!

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 05:36:27 PM »

Side-scroller Undertale, there you have it.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2017, 05:47:20 PM »

I wanna make that one day

Rhatos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 06:32:04 PM »

I wanna make that one day

It's never too late to start  Grin

LyricalReverie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 12:08:06 PM »

Someone made a Sonic-style platformer with ridiculous amount of story content (and the story was actually decent), so anything is possible. Also, I am developing a survival horror platformer with significant story content, so I always welcome people doing different things with genres. It can be a challenge, for sure and if you depend on your game selling well to survive, then maybe it is not the best idea to take risks, but it is fun.
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 01:11:58 AM »

There is also the problem that 99% of game developers do not have a background on creative screenwriting. Better to not include a story at all instead of a really bad one... one of the great mistake is to include dialogue, visual storytelling is more than enough, and cinema created masterpiece without saying a word  Grin

Games:

LyricalReverie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2018, 05:02:41 AM »

There is also the problem that 99% of game developers do not have a background on creative screenwriting. Better to not include a story at all instead of a really bad one... one of the great mistake is to include dialogue, visual storytelling is more than enough, and cinema created masterpiece without saying a word  Grin
No one can get good at writing if they don't it first, a lot, to learn. Also, there is a place for every kind of game; If you don't want story, that is fine, there is plenty of Marios out there without story.

Lots of video game stories considered bad aren't even bad, they are simply trashed by people used to book and film storytelling, which are naturally far more advanced considering both mediums are ancient compared to the video game medium. Comparing video game storytelling with other mediums is not even fair.

Personally, I find games without stories to be, for the most part, just really boring. I will take a story that sure, might not be perfectly written or very creative, over no story at all. Also, curious as to where you took the 99% statistic from?
Peace Soft
Level 0

All magic is made from corn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2018, 07:04:23 PM »

Does anyone have any examples of a game like this? I can't think of any on the top of my head and want to start a discussion on it.

Cave story? I don't know.

Action platformers are already action-driven and platforming-driven, there's not a ton of room for a third driver there. It's probably possible, but the player knows whether they are making decisions moment-to-moment to pursue a story outcome or to avoid bullets and pits. If you try to confuse them about that they'll probably ignore it.

I think Iji has different story outcomes depending on whether you kill people or not? I haven't played it but that might be what you're looking for.

first you should probably ask yourself what your idea of an engaging story is

Haha yeah

NON-ENGAGING STORY: Megaman jumps over large round bullets to save the world from evil robots

ENGAGING STORY: Megaman jumps over large round bullets to prove that Kashmir is part of Pakistan, NOT India
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 01:22:19 AM »

No one can get good at writing if they don't it first, a lot, to learn. Also, there is a place for every kind of game; If you don't want story, that is fine, there is plenty of Marios out there without story.

Lots of video game stories considered bad aren't even bad, they are simply trashed by people used to book and film storytelling, which are naturally far more advanced considering both mediums are ancient compared to the video game medium. Comparing video game storytelling with other mediums is not even fair.

Personally, I find games without stories to be, for the most part, just really boring. I will take a story that sure, might not be perfectly written or very creative, over no story at all. Also, curious as to where you took the 99% statistic from?

Ok with "No one can get good at writing if they don't it first", but don't do it in a game if it's your first time, it's like start the olimpic running without practice first.

"Comparing video game storytelling with other mediums is not even fair", why? If you work in a team as a story writer, you have plenty of material you can learn from. It is not fair, but who buys your game it will not start to think "Arghh, this story is  trash... wait, this guy is a "game" writer? Ah ok, now I force myself to like the story".

99% was like saying "most of all" (or I would said 97,656%  Tongue ), I play games from a very long time and I am very confident in saying that. I cannot find more than 10 games with a complex story at the same level of a Planescape: Torment. At least the AAA industry should spend more budget on real writes like Chris Avellone.

Games:

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic