Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:51:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignStory Driven Action Platformer - Is it even possible?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Story Driven Action Platformer - Is it even possible?  (Read 3541 times)
Radiant
Level 1

...and we are the Dreamers of Dreams.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 10:32:11 AM »

Daniel Remar (creator of Iji, among others) has a story-driven platformer called Strawberry Jam. It doesn't have bullets flying anywhere but it does have different paths of character development based on dialogue. Maybe that's inspiring?

http://remar.se/daniel/strawberry.php

LyricalReverie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2018, 01:05:01 PM »

Just a quick google search was enough to make me not want to play this Strawberry Jam game. Why is everything about naked girls these days.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2018, 01:20:13 PM »

What?

The game is literally about a strawberry with no other human characteristics than a face. Are you sure you're talking about the same game Radiant mentioned?

MegaTiny
Level 1

Wew lad

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2018, 04:15:28 PM »

Bit late to the party but a fairly good example is Shadow Complex. The story isn't too complex(Shrug), but it is delivered in a serious tone.

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 01:07:19 AM »

Then if the complexity is not a problem, I would suggest also Inside and Limbo, both created by the same developers.

Games:

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 03:12:37 PM »

Good writing don't equal complex story either anyway, it doesn't even mean imaginative writing, it mean you are able to use the medium to convey the proper concept in a seamless way. Game used to fail even at robot domination story with heavy exposition dump, leap of logic, plotholes, deus ex machina, etc ...

Peace Soft
Level 0

All magic is made from corn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2018, 05:36:24 PM »

Good writing don't equal complex story either anyway

Yeah, for real. Shadow of the Colossus is one of the best-written games I've ever played, and the story is: you're going to commit a blasphemous act to save someone you love, everybody tells you not to do that because something bad will happen, you do it, and something bad happens. I guess there's a little twist at the end.

On the other hand so is Pathologic and that is a wildly complex story. But it's not super hard to follow either; your job is mainly to get information and medicine from one place to another, so you get a practical understanding of who's doing what. Well, it is super hard to follow because the translation is a mess, but I read a better one that some LPer who speaks Russian did and it's fine
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2018, 06:41:44 PM »

Best story don't mean "story I like" either".

TEETH
Level 0

who the hell uses aim or msn anymore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2018, 07:38:52 PM »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Owlboy yet?

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2018, 05:25:26 AM »

I played Owlboy, but unfortunately for me it didn't clicked me, even if I tried to like it, the visual design was really inspired. I abandon it after 1-2 hours, so I can't tell about the story.

Games:

TEETH
Level 0

who the hell uses aim or msn anymore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2018, 11:06:47 AM »

I played Owlboy, but unfortunately for me it didn't clicked me, even if I tried to like it, the visual design was really inspired. I abandon it after 1-2 hours, so I can't tell about the story.
Yeah it does take a while to get fun. Once you get all of the weapons it gets better. The storyline was the best part, but I won't sit here and spoil it.

Hawkadium
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2018, 03:53:37 PM »

The first rule in being successful, is Break the Rules.
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2018, 01:24:42 AM »

Agree, but one needs to learn from the basic rules first, to avoid to make the same mistake again. For example, In the cinematography, many beginners try to film with singular ways and compositions, to break the rules, but most of the time the final result is very bad. So also in the cinema the suggestion is, alright to break the rules, but probably if you do not learn the basic rules first, the result will not be very good.

Games:

pilchards
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2018, 05:06:28 AM »

Take a look at "Au Sable" and "All Of Our Friends Are Dead" by Amon26.

https://amon26.itch.io/
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2018, 01:07:36 PM »

The problem is not to break the rules but to uphold the principles:
- the principles tells you why and the rules tells you how.
- Breaking the rules without knowing why it produce non sense.
- The rules are shortcut to get desired result, having a large collection of them help you find the best one, and understand how to make new one.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic