Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 05:38:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSplume
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Splume  (Read 2581 times)
Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« on: October 19, 2007, 08:26:25 PM »

We're starting out on a new development path for awhile--cranking out web games every month for a few months.  The goal is to get neat stuff up and playable, even if it isn't perfect or well-tuned or ideal (and then, after a half dozen games, take a step back and extend development on our favorite project).

So here's our first title.  We did this in under 4 weeks with ~3 people full-time, plus two interns who come in once a week:

YouTube Trailer:

Play Online:
http://splume.flashbangstudios.com/

Splume has leaderboards, a web-integrated level editor, and a neat ticker of player events as they occur.

Please--hit us with your feedback, positive or negative, and especially anything technological or in relation to the install process for the web player (as we're starting up another game with the same tech on Monday).

Matthew Wegner
Currently: Aztez
Founder, Flashbang Studios
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 08:36:59 PM »

I'm digging the eyeballs! Awesome.

Pigbuster
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 11:46:33 PM »

You people and your "Making awesome games in 4 weeks". :D

It's quite a nifty little game.

My computer had immense trouble typing in the text boxes. I don't know if it was the Unity player or what, but I wasn't even able to put anything in the Username box.

There's a pretty easy way to take advantage of the game. If you constantly shoot balls right after clearing the last one, the game will keep going, as technically there are still balls in the level. However, since all of the colors have been cleared, every ball will be the same color. Clicking the mouse constantly allows you to rack up as many points as you want. A rather big issue, what with leaderboards and all.
Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 12:10:27 AM »

Pigbuster:  The leaderboards are all time-based (this was our way of dodging the spam-click-for-massive-points issue).

Matthew Wegner
Currently: Aztez
Founder, Flashbang Studios
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 12:37:33 PM »

This looks a lot like Bust-A-Move, only awesome and physics-based.

Definately gonna give it a try.
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 05:18:35 PM »

I encountered a problem: After completing the first level in the "campaign mode", the game got stuck at the "Level 2" sign.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 09:12:06 AM »

Hey there!
I played the game for a while, in campaign mode. I stopped around level 7 or 8.

The game is interesting, it has a cool visual direction, sounds makes you wanna go to the bathroom but are very nice, the physics are really interesting but in the end, it feels like an enhanced clone.

It's too bad because the game has a lot to offer and it's really interesting. perhaps the early level shouldn't look too much like something we've already seen before. Perhaps that's why I keep getting that feeling of déja vu: the game starts off by telling me that they can do the same thing as other game but then takes it one step further. I personaly think that it would help the game not to show what it can do like the others and only focus on what the others don't. Fun levels, interesting concepts, eyeballs... The game has great potential and I don't think it should try to start off in the shadows of the other and then step out: it should shine as bright as it could be from the first click.

A bit of nit-picking... In the campaign level where the player must balls on the other side of a wall, it would be a good idea to add a guide line to tell the player how the ball will react. As of now, the player must shoot the ball blindly toward the sky and will ahve enough time to shoot another before the first comes back in the game area. Perhaps in this level, the shooting strenght could be reduced enough so that player can always see the ball or at least make the ball fall back in the game area faster. In all cases, the player find himself in a weird situation where he shot a ball and doesn't know what happened to it before a couple of seconds, leaving the player confused for no reason.

So, the game is nice and well crafted but I think it should try to walk a path of its own without ever referencing to other games. It just makes it look like a clone when it has alot more to offer. Well, that's my opinion.

Well, good job!
Later!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic