Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1336193 Posts in 60812 Topics- by 52281 Members - Latest Member: Sarwic

April 23, 2018, 10:58:29 am

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPixel City Bros - 2D RPG game that is humorous and unique
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pixel City Bros - 2D RPG game that is humorous and unique  (Read 1198 times)
pixelcitybros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 02, 2018, 11:54:28 am »

Overview
Pixel City Bros is a tongue-in-cheek top down 2D RPG that pokes fun at the old school games. I like to think of it as a mash up of Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, and a sports management game (think of Fight Night training) that is heavily inspired creatively by old Technos games (RCR, Crash and the Boys, Double Dragon). We have several unique aspects that we feel will set our game apart and make it fun:

• There is no leveling up or experience. Stats are gained through equipment and training at a gym.
    Skills are obtained by gaining Job Points while you fight. These can be exchanged for training sessions or learning a new skill.
    Our status effects are timed based. So, if you use a technique that boosts a player’s strength it will stay in affect for a certain period of time instead of being removed after a single battle.
  • Team based techniques similar to Chrono Trigger.
  • Arena based fighting in areas of the city. Gain reputation and money doing these 1v1 fights!
  • Gain stat boosts by increasing your belt by fighting in the Arena.

World Building
Pixel City Bros is set in a modern era and is about two brothers who lose their girlfriends to a rival gang after a night of partying. They train in the martial arts of Brojitsu by their master Ben (who also is their maintenance man at their rental house). The brothers must set forth through Pixel City to find their girlfriends. Pixel City is a large metro area that is controlled underground by rival gangs. The brothers will find friends and foes along the way as they explore the city.

Characters

Bobby is the aggressive one of the two. He is a little hot headed but can fight with the best of them.

Joey is the calmer of the two brothers and believes patience and timing is best for combat.

Randy is a former wrestler who never made it to the big times. He now spends his days frequenting biker bars and strip clubs.

Melvin is an All State quarterback that lives in the suburbs of Pixel City. He is an all-around athlete and a valuable member of the team.

Miso is a hacker that can use and technology and can help the bros combine their attacks with high tech equipment!

Scarlett is a medieval knight that swore her allegiance to the king! Why is she in this game since its modern times? You will find out when you play the game!

Old Man Ben is the master and founder of Brojitsu. He can do things like catch a fly with chop sticks and swipe quarters out of your hand before you can close it (what reference is that?).

Gameplay
If you have ever played any top down old school RPG you should feel right at home with this game. You have your main character moving around and interacting with the world. It has the normal stuff such as a barter system, quest system, inventory, and all of what you expect. When you enter an area with enemies you will encounter battles at random. The battle system is an Active time battle for real time battle. One thing that differs from some RPG is that the enemies are not static sprites but instead are also animated as well. This should give a feel of a real battle system.

Community
I am hoping to build a community around this game and have it somewhat community driven in the choice of skills / items and visuals of the game. I will probably include people who are involved in the game itself as well. I will also be doing live streaming of development!

I will update this original post more as I get some more screen shots and art. In the meantime feel free to join me on discord https://discord.gg/f7HmNBy

Links:

Follow us on:
Twitter: http://twitter.com/pixelcitybros
Facebook: https://facebook.com/PixelCityBros
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/pixelcitybros/
Discord: https://discord.gg/f7HmNBy

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 04:25:42 pm by pixelcitybros » Logged

M4uesviecr
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 06:22:09 am »

Will the active time battle system almost be akin to a fighting game? Kind of like you can choose from a series of blocks to counter an opponent (when gauge is filling), and execute a barrage of hits/attacks when the ATB gauge is filled. Similar to the fighting style of Lisa.

Anyway, the game itself sounds extremely interesting! I look forward to seeing more.

pixelcitybros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 10:58:49 am »

Will the active time battle system almost be akin to a fighting game? Kind of like you can choose from a series of blocks to counter an opponent (when gauge is filling), and execute a barrage of hits/attacks when the ATB gauge is filled. Similar to the fighting style of Lisa.

Anyway, the game itself sounds extremely interesting! I look forward to seeing more.

Hey sorry for the late reply been out of town. We have not solidified the battle system yet and subject to change but you make a very interesting case. We originally thought about doing something that mirrored Legend of Dragoon then stepped back and wasn't sure if it was too advanced?

Right now the battle system would be fill gauge->attack or use special skill. Then when your bro meter is filled completely you can do a team based attack which would involve 2-4 characters (or even characters that are not currently active in battle). But your suggestion and question is very interesting.

Artsicle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 04:57:46 pm »

Would be cool if you added diagonal movement animations!
pixelcitybros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 04:24:02 pm »

Would be cool if you added diagonal movement animations!

That is a really good suggestion and noted!

pixelcitybros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 05:09:45 pm »

Devlog #2 January 14, 2018
Hello all,

Another update here. Sorry we missed last week but we are heads down banging out code. There are several things going on simultaneously as we try to reach the first goal of finishing a playable demo. The demo will include nearly all functionality the game will offers and will serve two purposes: to let our fans play the game and test it, and also to finish the foundation where we can replicate in the rest of the game.

The demo will consist of the entire "Chapter 1" of the game that ranges from the opening menu to the end of the first area where the Bros begin their search for their lost girlfriends.

One of the fun / challenging parts of the game is taking a tileset and creating rooms and areas. It's also one of the most frustrating. Since we are building this in Unity we chose a couple tools to help us with this. The first one is Tiled (www.mapeditor.org). This allows us to build our maps decoupled from Unity and allows non Unity users to be able to build maps without having to worry about things like version control and the Unity interface. To get the maps into Unity we use a tool called Tiled2Unity (http://tiled2unity.readthedocs.io/). This tool is fantastic and free and much appreciated to the creator Sean Barton (http://www.seanba.com/).

Screenshots

This one is probably my favorite so far. This is the gym in which the Bros can train. There will be several gyms in the game and each will allow you to train in various events to gain stats.

Here is a tour of the gym. One of the challenges when building map is how to layer the tiles correctly so that it gives the illusion of more depth. When you walk behind items you want to appear behind it and not stop. I feel this gives a more authentic feel to the game and is done in most RPG games you play.

Opening Screen

The opening screen is in the game and the functionality is being attached. So soon you will be able to actually start a game or continue is rather than just starting wherever the developers last tested the player.

Miscellaneous Updates

We added some smaller updates to the game that are not too significant but we created a dialog whenever you enter and exit a room. We also are working on the ability to open / close doors which is almost complete but could not quite make it in the game! Also we are working on the Barter system (buying and selling).

To see this devlog on our website visit: http://www.pixelcitybros.com/news/devlog-january-14-2018.php
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 05:42:39 pm by pixelcitybros » Logged

pixelcitybros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 05:43:17 pm »

I apologize if anyone was trying to view this last devlog in the past 10 minutes or so. My oversizes GIF cause browser cancer. They should be good now!

Samaras-Sama
Level 2

samy is my hero

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 07:30:37 pm »

This is the best GIF I've seen yet, your artist deserves a beer

Devlog<br /><br />[/
pixelcitybros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 07:25:03 am »

This is the best GIF I've seen yet, your artist deserves a beer

Thanks it is def great!

M4uesviecr
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 12:09:48 pm »

Hey sorry for the late reply been out of town. We have not solidified the battle system yet and subject to change but you make a very interesting case. We originally thought about doing something that mirrored Legend of Dragoon then stepped back and wasn't sure if it was too advanced?

Legend of Dragoon?! Ugh, yes! Timed attacks would be tons of fun, too (especually in combo attacks). A recent game enacting such a system is Blue Omen (although it has more in common with Mario and Luigi super stars). A LoD system in this style would be *crazy* amazing. I say go for it.

Honestly, Lisa's battle system is a simple turn-based system with an attack chain command for a particular
type of fighter, but for Pixel City Bros, I was really hoping that you guys would go a step-forward to really incorporate the fast-paced feel that comes with a fighting game. Perhaps, if the LoD system is too complex you can try and build off of and push the turn-based system.

You could keep it turn based, waiting for offensive commands to be exectued once a time gauged is filled, but allowing the player to be on the defensive while it charges (maybe a button to block high hits, mid hits, and low hits). Then attacks would consist of particular input buttons.

Anyway, there are a ton of ways for you guys to attack this. I'm looking forward to seeing more, though.

P.S. - Loving the animation!

pixelcitybros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 06:45:02 pm »

Legend of Dragoon?! Ugh, yes! Timed attacks would be tons of fun, too (especually in combo attacks). A recent game enacting such a system is Blue Omen (although it has more in common with Mario and Luigi super stars). A LoD system in this style would be *crazy* amazing. I say go for it.

Honestly, Lisa's battle system is a simple turn-based system with an attack chain command for a particular
type of fighter, but for Pixel City Bros, I was really hoping that you guys would go a step-forward to really incorporate the fast-paced feel that comes with a fighting game. Perhaps, if the LoD system is too complex you can try and build off of and push the turn-based system.

You could keep it turn based, waiting for offensive commands to be exectued once a time gauged is filled, but allowing the player to be on the defensive while it charges (maybe a button to block high hits, mid hits, and low hits). Then attacks would consist of particular input buttons.

Anyway, there are a ton of ways for you guys to attack this. I'm looking forward to seeing more, though.

P.S. - Loving the animation!

Thanks for the feedback. That was my original thought and I am glad to hear someone agrees. I think we may lean that away again. I think it would make sense in this type of game considering its based off of street fighting. I will ponder this some more.

pixelcitybros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 09:11:51 pm »

Hello everyone!

It's time for another update! Sorry for the delay in between Dev Logs but we have been hard at work on some new aspects of the game that we are excited to share with you. We are definitely a few steps closer to getting our demo version of the game out for you all to play. So, what have we been working on lately?

NPC CHARACTERS

First of all, we have been adding NPCs all over Pixel City to make it feel very alive. Whether you're inside an apartment building, working out in the gym or just walking the streets of Pixel City, there will be many characters do talk to and interact with in different ways. Some will lead you on quests while others cheer you on or even give you a hard time. We want to make sure you never know who or WHAT you'll run into as you navigate in and around Pixel City!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_NukPT1MIU&feature=youtu.be

Check out the youtube video above to see some gameplay!

MAIN CHARACTER ANIMATIONS

Next, we've been hard at work on character animations for all the main characters you have to choose from in Pixel City Bros. Check out some of the latest animations down below.

If you've been following us for a while you will definitely be able to see how far we've come as far as character animations from the early days until now, and we're just getting started! We will continue to keep you updated on all the latest information as we come closer to bringing you our playable demo, and ultimately our full game!

We've also been continuing to work on our combat system as well as the barter system for buying and selling inside the game. We hope to be able to show you guys more on those in the coming weeks. As always, thanks for sticking with us and be sure to spread the word to your friends!

pixelcitybros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 12:38:40 pm »

Hello everyone!

Rest Points

As usual we've been hard at work with continued development and wanted to show you some of what we've been working on lately. First of all, when inside the Bros house, players now have the ability to sleep in their bed and restore they're HP. There will be places to do this throughout the game so the Bros can keep their fighting spirit up!

You may also notice in the above screenshot that there is an exclamation point above Bobby's head. Now, when a player is near something they can interact with, there will be an exclamation point displayed signifying it. We believe this will make the game much easier to navigate.

New Tile Maps

As usual we have continued working on more maps and areas for the game. One of the largest maps early on in the game will be the park. This includes a basketball court, tennis court, ponds, food trucks, bridges and even a homeless camp!

Another, smaller map we recently created is for the subway stations. Subways will be the normal way to traverse longer distances in and around Pixel City, so players will be seeing these a lot!

Audio
I won't put the audio links on here but below is a link to our Dev Log site that you can check out the latest music and additional content!

http://www.pixelcitybros.com/news/devlog-march-05-2018.php

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic