Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:05:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsClassic Zelda+Metroid inspired FPS [EARLY ACCESS]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Classic Zelda+Metroid inspired FPS [EARLY ACCESS]  (Read 6775 times)
progrium
Level 2

Swords will fucking cut you wide open!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 02, 2018, 09:15:09 PM »

Quick intro, my name is Jeff Lindsay. I helped start TIGSource with Derek Yu over a decade ago. I'm back in games now and after doing my first freeware game Visitor Center last year, I'm announcing my first commercial project titled The Indie Game Legend 3D.

The game is an NES inspired "shooter-vania" bringing retro action-adventure gameplay into first-person, and features various indie game scene personalities.

Independent game developers from around the world have been kidnapped and it's up to you to save them. Explore a strange alien base loosely guided by your commander, a hairless guinea pig named Bean. Unlock power-ups and rescue the indies as you find out who's behind it all.

* Solve puzzles and avoid traps in a non-linear sci-fi world
* Blast hordes of enemies and take down unrelenting bosses
* Discover weapons, equipment, and upgrades in hidden shops
* Retro pixel art style in a low-poly, full 3D world
* Original chiptunes soundtrack by a guy named Stevie

Wishlist on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/844440/The_Indie_Game_Legend_3D/
More info on website: http://tigl3d.com

===
Original post

The year is 2011 and phubans synthesizes the current state of TIGSource in-jokes and community figureheads into an arena shooter inspired by The Guardian Legend. With a soundtrack by hryx, phubans launches The Indie Game Legend as a freeware title.

Fast forward to 2017. After building some tools to quickly create levels in Unity inspired by Doom and Build engines, I started exploring the idea of revisiting the old school FPS formula. Visitor Center made me realize these old FPS games had a more arcade feel, like many indie retro games. While 90s FPS games went darker and grittier (with a few exceptions), there seems a whole space of colorful arcade-y games that could be translated to 3D FPS that hasn't fully been explored.

Since it was a great little game with references to the indie community (that unintentionally captures the do-it-because-its-fun spirit of indie games), I started doing a literal translation of The Indie Game Legend to 3D. After getting the pieces together, I put together the first 14 rooms for a demo:

A few days after Christmas 2017, I called up phubans and sent him a build. He had not really seen anything until then. He loved it.

I wanted to do the full game with his blessing. Ideally if he wanted, he'd participate with feedback and maybe some art. He did one better. We found ourselves talking about adding new areas, revisiting art, tweaking mechanics. Hryx would return to extend the soundtrack. We found ourselves working together on The Indie Game Legend 3D.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 01:48:44 PM by progrium » Logged

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 02:54:33 AM »

Blink w Blink

Valar05
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 07:56:37 AM »

Those room pieces are super duper Binding of Isaac-y.  Thought about making it procedural?  Roguelike Doom sounds pretty good to me!
The Magic Circle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 10:41:52 AM »

I just wanted to say that the original The Guardian Legend was one of my favourite games as a kid, and that not only am I having a ball playing the original The Indie Game Legend, I am more excited about this project than I have been about anything I've seen on this site before. So uh, there's me fanboying at you.

progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 08:35:08 PM »

I just wanted to say that the original The Guardian Legend was one of my favourite games as a kid, and that not only am I having a ball playing the original The Indie Game Legend, I am more excited about this project than I have been about anything I've seen on this site before. So uh, there's me fanboying at you.

That's crazy, and encouraging. Thanks. We hope you'll enjoy this one even more!

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 10:11:24 PM »

Weekly update! Also you can join me working on it during the week on Twitch.

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 10:38:40 PM »

Those room pieces are super duper Binding of Isaac-y.  Thought about making it procedural?  Roguelike Doom sounds pretty good to me!

We haven't talked about procedural at all. We're both fans of hand made levels, I think especially for the single player experience here, but I'm not opposed to procedural in general. Maybe if we do multiplayer the maps could be procedural.

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
Valar05
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 07:27:52 AM »

We haven't talked about procedural at all. We're both fans of hand made levels, I think especially for the single player experience here, but I'm not opposed to procedural in general. Maybe if we do multiplayer the maps could be procedural.

Gotcha - was thinking along the lines of (how I think Isaac generation is) - where the individual rooms are hand-made with maybe some small features that can change procedurally, then stitched together into a whole floor that's generally unique.  Nothing wrong with hand placing all of them though!
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 08:41:35 PM »

Those room pieces are super duper Binding of Isaac-y.  Thought about making it procedural?  Roguelike Doom sounds pretty good to me!

Funny thing is, when I was first jamming on this game back in 2011 at TIGJam, Edmund McMillen showed up, glanced over my shoulder, and took a good hard look at me working on and testing an early version of this game. Within a year later, he released The Binding of Isaac. I'm sure it was probably just a huge coincidence but that memory always stuck with me and made me wonder if he wasn't somewhat inspired by what he saw me working on.  Shrug

Valar05
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 11:35:57 AM »

Funny thing is, when I was first jamming on this game back in 2011 at TIGJam, Edmund McMillen showed up, glanced over my shoulder, and took a good hard look at me working on and testing an early version of this game. Within a year later, he released The Binding of Isaac. I'm sure it was probably just a huge coincidence but that memory always stuck with me and made me wonder if he wasn't somewhat inspired by what he saw me working on.  Shrug

Haha, wow!  It sure does seem similar, doesn't it?  I guess either way you could just chalk it up to the shared Zelda influence, but putting the two side by side I can definitely see it.
jb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 01:24:36 AM »

Game looks fun! It’s great that you are making daily progress on it. Looks very crisp and cohesive already. I agree there could be a lot more to explore in this genre, early fps games were interpretations of top down mazes after all!  I am not familiar with the original game but in moving to 3D are you finding some things work more or less well than you anticipated - although it is a flat plane I imagine the one to one translation has some interesting results.

pixelbarons.com
DOGO - competitive local multiplayer platformer
progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 12:09:22 PM »

Game looks fun! It’s great that you are making daily progress on it. Looks very crisp and cohesive already. I agree there could be a lot more to explore in this genre, early fps games were interpretations of top down mazes after all!  I am not familiar with the original game but in moving to 3D are you finding some things work more or less well than you anticipated - although it is a flat plane I imagine the one to one translation has some interesting results.

Smaller enemies you have to look down to get at. A lot of the sprites work straight on but some need to be fixed a little. Walls need more detail since you see more of them. Unexpectedly, little things like going from absolute orientation of rooms to relative (room might be organized facing north-south which is fine topdown, but less sense in first person when you enter that room from west/east). Similarly placement of objects can obstruct the main object of the room unexpectedly if it was designed where you can see it all topdown.

Caesars Revenge looks great btw. :D

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 12:11:01 PM »

Update on week 2! Should probably make these sooner.

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 01:50:01 PM »

Week 3! Y'all want text updates here, too? Or is video ok...

Also sign up here to help play test!

« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 02:06:08 PM by progrium » Logged

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 04:03:33 PM »

I realized there isn't a TON of footage of the actual game so far, so here's one of the play tests I did this week. Play test early, play test often!

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2018, 09:53:26 PM »

Lots of play testing and integrating learning from that. Lots of bug fixing and progress. Great demo showing at Juegos Rancheros. All here in the video! Should be able to put up a preview build soon.

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 03:48:33 PM »

Starting sector 2:

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 11:27:46 AM »

Looking cool, I remember the original being v fun! I still listen to the soundtrack still every now and then, some bangers in there.
progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2018, 04:54:31 PM »

Looking cool, I remember the original being v fun! I still listen to the soundtrack still every now and then, some bangers in there.

Awesome! And here's this week's update:

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 06:40:14 AM »

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print