Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1345089 Posts in 61697 Topics- by 53268 Members - Latest Member: FlynnCoulter

August 17, 2018, 05:39:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSleeping With Third Eye Open | Hotel vacation RPG (+ An Update #00)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Sleeping With Third Eye Open | Hotel vacation RPG (+ An Update #00)  (Read 2579 times)
Khanin
Level 0

Sleeping with Thrid Eye Open - GameDev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 06:59:38 PM »

Chapter #06 : Dialogue Wheel / Choices architecture | 'Chewing with your mouth open'

Hello, Tigsource Mock Anger

my previous post cover a bit about how quests, choices, and factors on the consequences,
i also wanna mention about the main idea of choice in the game too.
Here's some screenshots of some dialogues that are not polished but i want  show how overall appearance would look like.
also a location : Cha-bar, stay tune for more soon

Choices architecture

As the game is non-combat, the choice-made will not for tactical or should remotely just for proceeding in game. The dialogue choices will be purely for your expression of character or strategic to your investigation. How would the character/you like to react in the role-play situation. With small-scale narrative as a 7 hotel stays, The controlled-frame timeline help creating intense and rich different paths and outcomes. Choices are providing various of meaningful reactivity which is the main goal here.

this GDC talk by J.E.Sawyer influence me so much in designing RPG narrative ,

|| GUI : Dialogue wheel ||

color-coded text dialogue
; help indicate which character speaking / and also to be visually memorable
tiny bubble for character :
Important choice / with some description of choice effect or indicate intention

Blink Blink Blink

While the game is text heavy. my intent design is to move away from a isometric CRPG panned-out
tactical view approach with heavy text and in-detail description.
Instead,to be be less for that and be more visualized by enough close up to character with animation
to convey emotion where their situation reaction can be enact like a cinematic scene as something i aim to achieve.

Voices could bring so much life into characters. And,also provide realistic dialogue such as talk over each other.
To have a voice-acting would be a dream. it is something i wish i have, but..well its costly,
but its not something i'd ruled out yet,.

This is another amazing talk by Anna Kipnis covering on dialogue system
and whats to expect on heavy-dialogue game. fantastic stuff!.

Cha-bar : NINTARA's hotel lounge Cafe and bar  Coffee

the name actually is a pun between Thai and English
as 'Chaba' is a name of a flower in Thai ,and 'Cha' means a Tea.
So It's a Tea bar 'Cha-bar'. witty right ? or..yea pretty dumb dumb.

Location :Cha-Bar is Hotel Cafe | 'Breakfast Buffet is a must add!'

From my anime food obsession,I also have idea on additional tiny feature
that ordering drinks or foods could offer some aesthetic effect filters
but that's definitely not priority.

Khanin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 07:02:20 PM »

Very interesting and unique aesthetic. Looking forward seeing this game as it develops.

The visuals look great! Looking forward to seeing how this game evolves.

Thank you!, I appreciate that so, always an amaze to hear from fellow developers.  Beer!

SimonFelix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 02:55:42 AM »

This looks amazing, and has a very intriguing premise! I love the animation, it has an almost rotoscoped feel to it. Can't wait to see more!  Blink

sidbarnhoorn
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 04:10:04 AM »

Hi Kian, this looks great and I like the visuals! Interested to seeing how this will develop. Good luck! Smiley

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
Modog
Level 0

Rogue Knight Mage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 12:28:24 PM »

Looks so good!

I work with 2D Arts and
animations. Trying to be a game developer.
in my blog(tumblr)

My Portfolio: be.net/gabrielmodog
Khanin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2018, 11:43:46 PM »

This looks amazing, and has a very intriguing premise! I love the animation, it has an almost rotoscoped feel to it. Can't wait to see more!  Blink

Thank you so much!. well.. the animation was just rigged. I wish I could do rotoscoping for more complex move. But for isometric animation, I think I only saw on The Banner saga Dev does that but with the well-equipped studio and exact angle capture.

Hi Kian, this looks great and I like the visuals! Interested to seeing how this will develop. Good luck! Smiley

Ay! Thank you so! I'm stoked as im making it too! excited to see how it gonna turn out  Crazy

Looks so good!

Wink ! thank you, It's always a great thing i hear from a fellow artist too
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 12:32:59 PM by ThreeEyedDude » Logged

Khanin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2018, 03:23:55 PM »

This will be a first big update for while for this hotel game and do stay tune for more in the following months. These many months, I've been polishing the game design decisions on Its aesthetic style and game-play :

|| ART DIRECTION ||

There have been a lot of artwork redone, more solidify the theme and the art direction, decision made.Because I really feel that, the previous game looks are lost in its art direction. Its identity and style has not being really consistent.

So I want to have the game being more grim ,but still have its vibrant feature. More consistent of colors ,odd patterns, layering of textures. Another thing I’m excited to add is 'unmoving pattern' technique in animation. Taking advantage of the game being isometric, It creates some kind of visual illusion in its ambiguity in-between 2D and being 2.5D which i really find virtually fascinating and somewhat hypnotizing.

There's also still much research i need to do on regarding of designing an identity for South-east Asian on reflecting its architecture and aesthetic. I will be uploading more art and design process in these couple months in details. A Full hotels layout look should be expected soon.

The screenshot above should cover the overall look of the game.I'm planned to work on applying with the dynamic light so it should make more appealing scene by then.

|| CHOICES AND CONVERSATION ||

I have been developing 'conversation' mechanism that allow player dialogue to be less restricted and more natural flow of conversation. Plus,having a UI: icons is help give a clear translation ,indication or emphasize the tone of an option such as; a lie, diversion, question or ending the conversation. And having special option for 'supernatural ability' feature that can be use to affect conversation; convincing or manipulating etc.

The dialogue options also should act as a structure map of conversation, giving a visual direction on how the topic moves. Silence's always being a option if the player need to remove yourself from conversation in order to proceed in other action. I feel like time sensitivity is needed on some crucial conversation and also provide a consequence for back down on a conversation that somewhat is interrogation. Overall this's still in working process.

|| PORTRAIT ||

There has always been an itch of mine in an isometric-view game that I want to feel connected to the character portrait. Isometric view make the characters distant so it's depending on a text description on what's going on or a voice-acting.

Animation should really put a life into a character portrait showing facial features and emotion in real time. It also will put less weight into description and more into visual translating emotion or show any facial traces.

|| PERSONAL LOG #00 ||

It've been pretty interesting experience creating my first game.

It's indeed a process which im still learning as I'm making it.
Besides, it have been many years since I am back into drawing or even painting. Recent years,I have only been doing strictly a graphic design or plan drawing and 3d. so I still have a plenty to improve.

The one thing i am really proudly content is the story which i think it is pretty solid now. The challenge is to create believable convincing and vivid dialogue. The whole game experience should be art of creating suspense and unfolding the story which i'm really excited about.

I felt like my previous post of work have been done pretty rushy because of the situation of mine ,My hesitation and insecure to committing on the game. because something that do consume time and require dedication and may draining your life force if you're not careful. So, I gotta strive on passion and hope for more good opportunities that will come along in thr making. Noir

Thank you for keeping up with my game. Do check out the updated Game summary. And, Please, all the feedback are most welcome!

Please do follow for an monthly update ,more Introduction ,
And a special prequel-contents here on ' TigSource' or   IndieDB | GameJolt

@3rdEyeSleeping or me : @ThreeEyeDude | sleepingwiththirdeyeopengame.com

kian (at) sleepingwiththirdeyeopengame.com
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 10:56:10 AM by Khanin » Logged

flex$
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2018, 06:24:52 PM »

happy to see you still working on this, Khanin! everything is looking great. keep going strong. Toast Right

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2018, 05:14:03 AM »

^ agreed! I like what you are doing with dialogue too, glad to see you post again  Beer!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
AlexVsCoding
Level 5

Enthusiasm at dangerous levels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2018, 01:55:52 AM »

This is a staggeringly beautiful game, super excited to see how this develops!

Janionano
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2018, 03:32:55 AM »

Third eye, with malice, has another connotation in my country.  Well, hello there!
But it doesn't matter, as it is a good name, makes sense, and your game catches the eye  Well, hello there!. In addition to that, of course, your game draws attention visually and conceptually, seems very well resolved, very promising.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic