Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 07:21:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNetherWorld: Drugs, Sex and Pixels adventure game.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: NetherWorld: Drugs, Sex and Pixels adventure game.  (Read 9108 times)
DanBarr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 04, 2018, 08:17:35 AM »

NetherWorld is a horizontal side-scrolling adventure/action game, where character development, dialogues and narrative have a special role.

Immerse yourself in a sinister world, explore the world, make friends (or enemies) fight against grotesque bosses or drink a coffee in the town's bar.

You lead a quiet life, have a beautiful house and plans to form a family, you are living NetherWorld dream. One day your wife decides to leave you, probably to ends up with a creature with longer tentacles than you.

You decideto go out searching of the help of alcohol, drugs and sex.

Soon you will be involved in a deep story with an charming cast of characters.

Most of the combats will be against epic final bosses, each one with totally diferent mechanics.

Fight with sword, torches and shields besides firearms.

In NetherWorld you won't find two similar combats, each boss will have his unique behaviour. This will lead us to situations where you will need to leave our weapons and use the environment or just run away. (Like Shadow of the Colossus with bigger pixels and more tentacles.)

●Deep and surreal story.

●Dark, bloody and twisted world.

●A bunch of weapons and accessories.
●Dark, bloody and twisted world.

●A large viriety of scenaries.
●Attractive atmosphere.

● Great battles against giant and grotesque bosses.

Updates

Hmm, hello, is anyone there?
How to weaponize your son
The protagonist of NetherWorld asks for help
Real time pixel arms
NetherWorld graphic breakdown
April-May Devblog
December Devblog
Pixel Bloodstain System
NetherWorld June Devblog 2019
NetherWorld April Devblog 2020
NetherWorld July Devblog 2020

follow us on Twitter Cool

« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 06:25:43 AM by DanBarr » Logged

DanBarr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 08:27:50 AM »

I would also like to talk about the playable section, in Netherworld we will have both firearms, shields and swords, each one of them will be needed to finish with an enemy in particular, almost all of them are already developed, but today we are going to show you one in concrete, our flamethrower.

Ok, let's take a look at the stages of development that we have when we are going to create a new weapon.

First of all we have to design it, usually I do it on paper, not very impressive to be honest

Now we can start to implement it, usually I start with the bullet, in this case the fire.

A unity particle system, nice and easy to implement... well, actually they are 3.

The flamethrower's sprite is not its final version, it's simply a prototype drawn quickly by me to start implementing it.

ok, now we have to be able to shoot it and control the flame. the next step is to test its behavior against objects and enemies.

That tree is hot enough already. Next, integrate the weapon into character animations reload, walk, crouch, walk backwards...

I'll talk about those pixilated arms in a dedicated article.

Time to debug, we have the following problem, the position of the decoration flames and smoke was not consistent when the flames had a length determined by the obstacle, we solve it by determining the distance to the obstacle (Raycast) and repositioning the decorative elements based on that distance.

Normally we now add and test the light generated by the weapons, in this case it is a bit more complicated.

And finally, integrate into a scene of the game and verify that everything is fine.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 06:09:29 AM by DanBarr » Logged

joey4track
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 09:05:55 AM »

Yay!! You made a devlog at Tigsource! Hello friend!

Wowee, I see you have been busy. Great work so far, can't wait to play this one and welcome to the forums!  Gentleman
DanBarr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 09:19:36 AM »

Yay!! You made a devlog at Tigsource! Hello friend!

Wowee, I see you have been busy. Great work so far, can't wait to play this one and welcome to the forums!  Gentleman

Hey Joe, what a surprise! I see that they have good composers in this forum  Hand Metal Left  Hand Metal Right thanks friend!

joey4track
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 09:23:54 AM »

Aw, thanks Dan! I hope this brings you a lot more attention. You deserve it, I can see you have been hard at work Wink
s_harriton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 04:00:16 PM »

I really like the animations. They look awesome!

flex$
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 07:00:32 PM »

wow, this looks fantastic in motion. incredible mix of realism and pixel art matched with a sweet goth aesthetic. keep going!

DanBarr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 07:00:59 AM »

I really like the animations. They look awesome!

wow, this looks fantastic in motion. incredible mix of realism and pixel art matched with a sweet goth aesthetic. keep going!

thanks guys.  Beer!

rayharry
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 12:00:34 PM »

That looks absolutely amazing :D Just when you think you've seen every kind of pixelart sidescroller, there's something new behind the corner.

DanBarr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 08:41:42 AM »

That looks absolutely amazing :D Just when you think you've seen every kind of pixelart sidescroller, there's something new behind the corner.

Thanks Rayharry, it has always been our goal to differentiate ourselves from the "common" in pixel art.  Beer!

DanBarr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 08:48:36 AM »

guys, I need your help, I'm making a selection of images for the steam shop, if you had to choose one of these 3, what would you choose?

Danton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 09:54:11 AM »

Looks really interesting. Love the environments and overall concept. Reminds me a bit of Rain World, which I thot was brilliant.

The breakdown of the flamethrower weapon is excellent as well. How will you handle turning of the hero when firing? Auto-stop the flame, turn, then resume? Maybe turn and fire the flame in the air on a turn? Might be an interesting mechanic in there... perhaps a sense of mastery if you stop firing before you turn, so as not to waste fuel on the turn? Or using the turn as a quick way to fire at something above you? Just random thots, based on your breakdown Smiley.

All the best with it!

Unto The End - Wishlist on Steam
Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 12:02:09 PM »

I'd say 2. Most colors.

Such a cool gloomy looking game!

PsycheMac
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 12:48:00 PM »

Hey been watching this on Twitter. Cool to see a TIGSource for it. Can't wait to see more detailed progress here!

Twitter: @PsycheMac
ManuScythe
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 01:55:57 PM »

Loving the dark themes and aesthetics! How long have you been working on this? seems really polished. Curious about how you handle those themes through the gameplay and narrative. Nice work!

DuelCide A Dark ARPG about dueling, taking lives & dealing with consequences.
DanBarr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 04:10:26 AM »

I'd say 2. Most colors.

Such a cool gloomy looking game!

Thanks Garlicguy, i think i prefer 2 too  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Hey been watching this on Twitter. Cool to see a TIGSource for it. Can't wait to see more detailed progress here!

I see that a lot of the people that I follow on twitter are in this forum, it's great that we can learn from each other here!

Loving the dark themes and aesthetics! How long have you been working on this? seems really polished. Curious about how you handle those themes through the gameplay and narrative. Nice work!

I started alone about 10 months ago, but 6 months ago an artist who is in charge of drawing and animating now (I am the programmer) joined the project and that was a turning point for the game.

DanBarr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2018, 04:12:13 AM »

Looks really interesting. Love the environments and overall concept. Reminds me a bit of Rain World, which I thot was brilliant.

The breakdown of the flamethrower weapon is excellent as well. How will you handle turning of the hero when firing? Auto-stop the flame, turn, then resume? Maybe turn and fire the flame in the air on a turn? Might be an interesting mechanic in there... perhaps a sense of mastery if you stop firing before you turn, so as not to waste fuel on the turn? Or using the turn as a quick way to fire at something above you? Just random thots, based on your breakdown Smiley.

All the best with it!

All the weapons point instantaneously to the point where the mouse is placed... all but this, I decided to add a delay to make it feel heavy and balance it in terms of damage / precision. It would be too powerful, when you point behind you is another problem, I decided to rebuild the flames you had before you turned around but adding another small delay with the purpose of adding a tactical disadvantage to this weapon.

I have actually used your comment as an excuse to burn that tree again. thanks  Gentleman

Danton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 08:48:14 AM »

Brilliant! Thanks for the example and explanation. Poor tree Smiley.

Unto The End - Wishlist on Steam
DanBarr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 01:18:03 PM »

Here we have our first teaser, if you could share with me your feedback, I would be very grateful.  Toast Left Toast Right

if you could share with me your feedback
And if you don't, too  Toast Left Toast Left

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 02:51:33 PM »

Here we have our first teaser, if you could share with me your feedback, I would be very grateful.  Toast Left Toast Right

First, a question: What are trying to convey with the teaser?

Without seeing the devlog and knowing a little bit about the game, my first impression regarding the trailer would've been "What is going on exactly?"  By that I mean, what is the player's role?  Is the player the little dude, the big guy or something else?  But either way because you start in the middle of the fight and shorly after the boss is dead.  So, the teaser loses out on impact that it could have if first the player's character is shown (e.g. being small compared to the forest).  Then the big menacing boss shows up and fight ensues with various weapons.  The shotgun seems quite generic compared to the much more unique looking flamethrower.

The music is an interesting choice.  At first, I imagined an *epic battle* music more fitting for fighting a boss, but for the trailer it could work if the idea and theme you're trying to convey is "It's sad that you have to kill them" or something related to a dark-ish theme instead of being an epic hero.  Also, if you don't have any sfx/music going with your logo, then the music could start right at the beginning.  That could set the mood immediately instead of having the empty silence.

In terms of motivation, you could add a one-line at the beginning or end to give a better idea about the player's motivation.

Oh, isn't the Stormtrooper helmet under some kind of copyright?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic